• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Idea is to narrow it down to 2-3 names and then we'll put it to a community votes. So please pick your three favourite.

Options are based on domain availability & name length. Some alternatives don't appear in the initial poll sbecause of this.

~ InsertCoinHere removed due to lack of appropriate domain/alternative.
~ If we choose Catalyst, the domain will be CatalysticGamers

Changes Tally
Malcovent:
-1 from Catalyst

Last edited:

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Thoughts

- Catalyst sounds the most professional I feel, as far as community names go.
- World8 - I love the idea of flipping the 8 over to make an infinity in the logo, Could work, does sound like a bit of a rip of the 'Cloud9' gaming group though.

I'll close the poll by tuesday.

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
I mentioned it in the gdoc as well, but I like the idea of World8 (or world8) more than World Eight, which just feels too 'written out' to me. I hadn't heard of Cloud9 until just now, but people more in the know than I may make that association more often. My vote for World Eight is more of a world8 vote.

My concern with Catalyst/Catalyst Gamers is that we will never be the top Google hit for that keyword, it's just too high of a buzzword. Blocktopia is a unique word, Catalyst is certainly not, especially for a gaming community. These are all well established groups that we would have a difficult time competing with, especially in an area where communities already fight for player attention.

No particular opinion on the other ones.

tl;dr: world8

• Thank You
Reactions: Prizyms

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but none of these names sound very good in my opinion. Not that I could do any better, but these names don't seem like names for a community.

Reactions: Hunter

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
Administrator (I hope this tag works):

I have a suggestion/concern regarding the final poll thread. I think it would be in our best interest to release a final-final poll between the two most popular names as the last decider. Please hear me out before you want to respond with "no way". :p

The poll we have up now is public and after discussing it with another head staff member, I believe there was a slight "bandwagon" behind some of the votes. I'm not saying everyone picked one over the other simply to (unknowingly) conform or that one name was better than the other so we shouldn't be picking that; I'm pretty neutral to all of them, really. I just began to notice a few people pointing out they wanted to switch their vote (myself included) and I think if we did a final vote, we'd have a more accurate count.

So my suggestion is to create 1 more final vote: the 2 most popular names from that thread versus each other but in a private setting, like a google doc, for example.

This would be our final way of narrowing down. I am making a big deal out of this because it will be our name! This is how we will present ourselves and I'd like our results to be near perfect; what the majority truly wants. After all, who knows when the next rename will come? Another 4+ years possibly, who knows!

Do you think this is a good/bad idea?

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score

I have a suggestion/concern regarding the final poll thread. I think it would be in our best interest to release a final-final poll between the two most popular names as the last decider. Please hear me out before you want to respond with "no way". :p

The poll we have up now is public and after discussing it with another head staff member, I believe there was a slight "bandwagon" behind some of the votes. I'm not saying everyone picked one over the other simply to (unknowingly) conform or that one name was better than the other so we shouldn't be picking that; I'm pretty neutral to all of them, really. I just began to notice a few people pointing out they wanted to switch their vote (myself included) and I think if we did a final vote, we'd have a more accurate count.

So my suggestion is to create 1 more final vote: the 2 most popular names from that thread versus each other but in a private setting, like a google doc, for example.

This would be our final way of narrowing down. I am making a big deal out of this because it will be our name! This is how we will present ourselves and I'd like our results to be near perfect; what the majority truly wants. After all, who knows when the next rename will come? Another 4+ years possibly, who knows!

I was discussing this with JtTorso as well today, I think this is a good idea and was going to suggest it myself. (I also think I want to change my own vote

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

I was thinking about this too, it's a good idea IMO

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score

If we do this - and I think it's a very good idea - I'd recommend we create a private environment (a la gdocs) and require some sort of verification of identities to confirm that there's no foul play - one thought I had was to require users to input the email with which they signed up on the forums. We can also check that the user has been on the forums since this gdoc was posted - if they haven't, there's a strong possibility of double voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.