My Ideas for a SMP server

Do you like my ideas?

• Total voters

_JulZ_

Reaction score
My Ideas for a SMP server

Basically I had come up with some ideas for a new SMP server around the release of the 1.8 vanilla server, It has some similarities to other SMP servers aswell like Primordia and DoD.

- Pre-made factions (represented by MC mobs like Ocelots, Horses, Guardians and Wolves.)

- Faction Bonuses
+ Ocelots (+5% speed, Better fishing skill, Repels creepers, Easier to tame Ocelots.)
+ Horses (+10% speed, Stronger horses, Easier to tame Horses)
+ Guardians (+10% swimming speed, Underwater breathing, breaks blocks underwater at normal speed.)
+ Wolves (+5% speed, More powerful wolf pets, Easier to tame Wolves.)

-Themes to the lords building/prison, etc in the each capital
+Ocelots (Jungle Temple/ Tree houses)
+Horses (Nordic style <(Warm) Hay bale roofing?>)
+Guardians (Water temples <1.8+>)
+Wolves (Nordic style <(Cold) Lapis tile (If possible)>)

-PvP setting (Each faction fights one another,
though some may become allies such as the Ocelots + Guardians and Horses + Wolves)
+Sieges on cities

-PvE setting (Like DoD, dungeons and crypts <Maybe even special PvE events>)

-1 leader per faction, though there will be a council to help each leader (Which is hosted by the leaders Hand Or Steward)
+Possibly even those under the title of an 'heir' of which can take over when the original leader may not be able to.

-Homelands
+Ocelot capital will be in a Jungle
+Horse capital in a plainland (maybe use grown wheat to make a more aesthetic look [If you would consider it aesthetic])
+Guardian capital underwater
+Wolf capital in a cold taiga biome

-Custom faction banners (new 1.8 update!)

-Bounties

-Prisons

-Keep inventory

<Note: these are not my final ideas>
(Feel free to Expand upon this)

Last edited:

_JulZ_

Reaction score
Cool idea, but horse faction looks like the only one worth joining - Top speed and stronger horses?

Who is going to write/test/configure the plugin to set the faction bonuses?
The horses wouldn't be stronger on a game-breaking level, though I am not sure who would configure write or test plugins(I am not good at coding or anything plugin related myself.) I may also remove some things so then coding would be much easier if the server did become an actual thing.

But, I personally would go with the Wolf faction as I could have a much stronger companion (Plus my favorite group of animals are canines.)

Another issue would be that (I'm not certain if this is still [or was ever] a thing) people sharing pets and horses.

I may also add more factions to the list to represent other biomes (ones that may not be in-game mob related :p )

JtTorso

Reaction score
While these ideas aren't particularly bad, the only issues I really see are having set clans have bonuses, I'm just not fond of them having advantages, it should be the people that make the clan, not the clan that makes the people. I'm also rather unfond of the idea of forcing players to theme and building within a biome, I'd rather see something of quality than a crappy tree house village that's made up of boxes stuck ontop of trees.

• Agree
Reactions: EggNog

_JulZ_

Reaction score
While these ideas aren't particularly bad, the only issues I really see are having set clans have bonuses, I'm just not fond of them having advantages, it should be the people that make the clan, not the clan that makes the people. I'm also rather unfond of the idea of forcing players to theme and building within a biome, I'd rather see something of quality than a crappy tree house village that's made up of boxes stuck ontop of trees.
I suppose then we can get rid of the theme factor, i'm not quite sure about the faction bonuses. Because, while I agree with the statement of the people making the clan the bonuses would be on a minimal level. One of the main reasons why these weren't final ideas is because I wanted the bonuses to be evened out so each faction had equal power on the field. I would like the bonuses to be added as it also adds more individuality to each faction (So I just canceled out the theme idea anyway.)

Another note: You aren't restricted to just one biome, that would have just been the capital. People are free to branch out whilst remaining in the factions and even build towns with friends.
I forgot to mention on the original post that each capital would have a prison to capture enemies, though I would think of the people who build the map (depending on what faction they choose so that the people in the faction don't guard the secret exit) could make secret exits out of each cell, like a sewer (So there wouldn't be many cells).

(^ I'm not quite sure about the prison idea, so could I have some feedback on that aswell?)

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Where would players pvp if it was to have a pve setting? If a pvp area is created in certain places only then that pretty much ruins the whole point of pvp.. it should be that everywhere is pvp apart from your factions, or..
  1. Everywhere is pvp (including faction areas)
  2. Players have to buy pvp-protection which could cost 5x the amount a normal protected chunk would cost
This would allow players to progress harder and get more into the game to protect themselves while having the fear factor of pvp to make players work together; imo jumping straight into no-pvp anywhere apart from "pvp-only" areas is rather stupid because there is no fear factor unless you went into this areas, I never noticed any pvping on JtE and many players quit because of it.

I think your idea with a bit of tweaking combined with a bit of mine could be great, but again there'd need to be huge decisions, because you'd need the right director for the job, I don't see a director who loves pve but hates pvp managing a pvp based smp server, because that would add bias towards the group of players who prefer pve.

I've played a server before, I can't remember the name but a tweak I thought of to their smp was that Blocktopia could create an smp that uses level up abilities to access new areas of the maps. For example let's say you're a 'Wonderer', you can only access certain areas of the map in the nether and overworld until you level up to the next rank, which could cost money from trading with players and selling to shops.

Each new area accessed would grant the availability of those advanced players to make a profit while other players cannot access the resource, for example, a blaze rod could be only accessed by a rank three player and could be sold at the shops for $450 per 16, and the next rankup could cost $1,000,000, so players that can access it can grind them and sell them to players who don't want to make the extra effort for $1,000 per 16 instead. I've noticed a lot of servers with economy, that use a roleplay and pvp as an essence to advance in the server last for a very long time.

I know players love to pve too, but that could be the main aspect of the level 1 areas.. level 2 - level ? could be pvp areas as they are the areas that may require risk to gain the items that make you money so you can advance, dungeons could be more of a risk to enter rather than a challenge, because I've noticed players enter dungeons and bish bash bosh the boss is done and that's it, while these could be solo dungeons that require you to attack it for a greater reward whereas attacking it in groups could split the total wealth of the reward between the group because it required more players to kill, an example would be loot-share worlds on runescape when you go to godwars, if let's say an AGS hilt was dropped with a value of 40M, split between 10 people would be 4M..

What I'm trying to say it I am yet to see an old SMP combined with another old SMP, because I'm sure there is a combination out there that could potentially arise to be named as "one of the best" rather than "yet another".

_JulZ_

Reaction score
Where would players pvp if it was to have a pve setting? If a pvp area is created in certain places only then that pretty much ruins the whole point of pvp.. it should be that everywhere is pvp apart from your factions, or..
  1. Everywhere is pvp (including faction areas)
  2. Players have to buy pvp-protection which could cost 5x the amount a normal protected chunk would cost
This would allow players to progress harder and get more into the game to protect themselves while having the fear factor of pvp to make players work together; imo jumping straight into no-pvp anywhere apart from "pvp-only" areas is rather stupid because there is no fear factor unless you went into this areas, I never noticed any pvping on JtE and many players quit because of it.

I think your idea with a bit of tweaking combined with a bit of mine could be great, but again there'd need to be huge decisions, because you'd need the right director for the job, I don't see a director who loves pve but hates pvp managing a pvp based smp server, because that would add bias towards the group of players who prefer pve.

I've played a server before, I can't remember the name but a tweak I thought of to their smp was that Blocktopia could create an smp that uses level up abilities to access new areas of the maps. For example let's say you're a 'Wonderer', you can only access certain areas of the map in the nether and overworld until you level up to the next rank, which could cost money from trading with players and selling to shops.

Each new area accessed would grant the availability of those advanced players to make a profit while other players cannot access the resource, for example, a blaze rod could be only accessed by a rank three player and could be sold at the shops for $450 per 16, and the next rankup could cost $1,000,000, so players that can access it can grind them and sell them to players who don't want to make the extra effort for $1,000 per 16 instead. I've noticed a lot of servers with economy, that use a roleplay and pvp as an essence to advance in the server last for a very long time.

I know players love to pve too, but that could be the main aspect of the level 1 areas.. level 2 - level ? could be pvp areas as they are the areas that may require risk to gain the items that make you money so you can advance, dungeons could be more of a risk to enter rather than a challenge, because I've noticed players enter dungeons and bish bash bosh the boss is done and that's it, while these could be solo dungeons that require you to attack it for a greater reward whereas attacking it in groups could split the total wealth of the reward between the group because it required more players to kill, an example would be loot-share worlds on runescape when you go to godwars, if let's say an AGS hilt was dropped with a value of 40M, split between 10 people would be 4M..

What I'm trying to say it I am yet to see an old SMP combined with another old SMP, because I'm sure there is a combination out there that could potentially arise to be named as "one of the best" rather than "yet another".
The original Idea was to have everywhere as a PvP zone (Inclusing seiges where another faction can take over a city w/o griefing. So if the capital is taken over, people will have to make encampments in the wilderness and plan an attack to retake their city, This element doesn't have to be added though if players don't want it seeing that their builds may be lost from them.)

Ooh, Another note: I would think that keepinventory should stay on aswell, so people wont lose all of their progress and have no chance to retake their city/cities.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
The original Idea was to have everywhere as a PvP zone (Inclusing seiges where another faction can take over a city w/o griefing. So if the capital is taken over, people will have to make encampments in the wilderness and plan an attack to retake their city, This element doesn't have to be added though if players don't want it seeing that their builds may be lost from them.)

Ooh, Another note: I would think that keepinventory should stay on aswell, so people wont lose all of their progress and have no chance to retake their city/cities.
If players were going to be able to keep the inventories upon death, another idea that could be coincide with that is the "bounty hunter" gamemode from runescape.

Players would have a risk level based on how much their inventory and armour cost, so if someone had a bronze scimitar they'd have a bronze risk level, but if someone had an armadyl godsword, they'd have the highest risk level. The risk level increases the chances for finding opponents in bounty with a similar risk level to you and the higher the risk level the better the drop is (You wouldn't get your opponents gear if they died, instead you'd be rewarded with something that could be of little value with some miscellaneous items or something of huge value).

This could add the ability to literally put "bounties" on players which people could then kill for a chance at big loot, however players from the same faction cannot attack eachother or claim the bounty? (Bounty would have to be made so that when a player is killed, it is claimed through their death rather than /bounty claim etc)

_JulZ_

Reaction score
If players were going to be able to keep the inventories upon death, another idea that could be coincide with that is the "bounty hunter" gamemode from runescape.

Players would have a risk level based on how much their inventory and armour cost, so if someone had a bronze scimitar they'd have a bronze risk level, but if someone had an armadyl godsword, they'd have the highest risk level. The risk level increases the chances for finding opponents in bounty with a similar risk level to you and the higher the risk level the better the drop is (You wouldn't get your opponents gear if they died, instead you'd be rewarded with something that could be of little value with some miscellaneous items or something of huge value).

This could add the ability to literally put "bounties" on players which people could then kill for a chance at big loot, however players from the same faction cannot attack eachother or claim the bounty? (Bounty would have to be made so that when a player is killed, it is claimed through their death rather than /bounty claim etc)
I like that idea, but what if players could set bounties (The one who sets the bounty also sets the prize.)