Mentor Idea

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
Hi all! :D

I just had an idea about a mentoring service-type thing on Blocktopia Zombie Survival. Basically, every willing OP+ would be paired with a newbie or a new Trusted, so they could help the player become more active and less shy in Zombie Survival, and follow the rules and their responsibilities. This was just an idea, nothing more, obviously it might not work, but I'd thought I'd share it with you anyway! :D

From your pal,
Theo

JtTorso

Reaction score
I don't like the idea, everyone has to learn on their own (like me and the many ops before me), Ops are usually always busy and when we're not it;s only for brief periods, we can't really put time aside to help people, perhaps that isn't a good statement, as some ops do give advice/ tips to new ops, but they can learn it on their own very quickly, we aren't here to babysit, but we also aren't here to neglect our fellow staff, that's really the best way I can put it.

Reactions: Summer10

Jowe

Giver of Pancakes
Reaction score
Ops should always be looking for ways to give trusted and players tips to improve, ops notice a lot. Maybe just try asking ops or even veteran players (the ex-staff kind) - How can I improve? What am i doing wrong?

//edit

Be sure to ask players that know and see you! Ask those who know you! :)

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
Ops should always be looking for ways to give trusted and players tips to improve, ops notice a lot. Maybe just try asking ops or even veteran players (the ex-staff kind) - How can I improve? What am i doing wrong?
This^
When we get new staff at TNT, I encourage them to ask questions if they aren't sure about something, no matter how silly they may think they are.
Ask questions if you're not sure. Most people will be glad to help.

Summer10

Reaction score
I don't like the idea, everyone has to learn on their own (like me and the many ops before me), Ops are usually always busy and when we're not it;s only for brief periods, we can't really put time aside to help people, perhaps that isn't a good statement, as some ops do give advice/ tips to new ops, but they can learn it on their own very quickly, we aren't here to babysit, but we also aren't here to neglect our fellow staff, that's really the best way I can put it.
I agree with this
And this.

The main problems I see with this are
  1. Timezones
  2. The amount of time people have each day
  3. Sometimes, making mistakes can be the best way to learn how to do better in the future for many staff.
  4. Ops will usually spot when a trusted needs more help/makes a mistake and will try to help them
  5. Trusted can always ask ops if they are doing good are not (Don't be afraid to ask!)
  6. The amount of staff compared to the player base is really unbalanced(if it is new players)

krisportal12

Reaction score
I like that idea but at the same time I don't. The moderators need to keep track of the people who are acting like idiots and the same time helping Trusted and newbies. That's going to put a LOT of stress on the ops. Let the moderators do their job of kicking, banning, showing the rules and doing their job.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
If a Trusted has a question then he should just go to any Operator and ask him/her the question, if you have one specific mentor you need to wait for him to come online. If an Operator see a Trusted make a mistake, (s)he just explains him/her what (s)he did wrong and what (s)he can do to prevent it from happening again.

It's not a very bad idea, but it only makes it more complicated than it is now. Now all Operators+ are just some sort of mentors to everyone, all players and trusteds can ask for their help or advice, that's after all what we're staff members for.

• Winner
Reactions: Jowe