Maybe an old suggestion: Creatures

Kevin_28

Reaction score
I've seen many people hinting to this suggestion, but I don't ever remember coming across a thread devoted to this. The concept is lava creatures. Blocks that, during rounds, can roam around and attack unsuspecting users. Quite a few different server software, including the one ours is based on, has this option already with zombies, birds, sharks, etc. For example, we could have a lava shark that swims in lava trying to find victims that it can prey upon. Another example is a Killer Toads from Lava God: Amphibious (green block) monsters who mainly stay at the top of lava, has the ability to hop over 1 block above lava level and creep around on dry land to seek out players (to suck their brains out or I don't know, haha. use your imagination ;)). This thread is devoted to that basic concept and I would love to hear people's thoughts on how to improve it, or whether the idea should be scrapped. Please be sure to read the important note:
This idea has not been thoroughly thought out, so I understand there are a lot of holes that need to be figured out. Such as, players can build around to avoid them. I'm hoping that this thread will be one where those holes can be covered and a cohesive, fun, and interesting concept would emerge

arxx

The drunk gentleman.
Reaction score
I just watched Transformers 3 (again) and came to this thread. Do you have any Idea how I feel like? :O
Anyway, I don't really know how it'd work out and am kind of skeptical about this...
I've never used the word "skeptical". Ever. I hope it's a correct sentence.

ColorWar

Reaction score
hmm, I think the idea for lava zombies has been declined before, I have mixed feelings about this, mainly because if this is approved it might stray away from the traditional lava survival which most of us love. However on the other hand, it might be something unique that only we might have. Nowadays with all the lava survival servers popping up, it might get us back that uniqueness.

• Agree
Reactions: trngl3087

Kevin_28

Reaction score
hmm, I think the idea for lava zombies has been declined before, I have mixed feelings about this, mainly because if this is approved it might stray away from the traditional lava survival which most of us love. However on the other hand, it might be something unique that only we might have. Nowadays with all the lava survival servers popping up, it might get us back that uniqueness.
In my opinion, I think we've sorta strayed away from traditional lava for a while now (cold water/dr/cookies/etc). I'm more interested in setting us apart and making the mid-rounds a little more challenging/interesting.

For a lava survival round, I would prefer to keep creatures out of the game. However, for a death run round, these creatures would be very interesting and fun to add to the gameplay.
Can you expand by explaining why you don't want them in regular lava rounds? We have zombies in DR, so it's sorta there already.

Sploorky

Reaction score
Reading this again, I've actually warmed up to it. It could work well if: 1. It was added by the mapmaker(Not saying we couldn't add some creatures to some of our current maps), 2. It wasn't spammed by said mapmaker(I don't want 20 zombies or lava sharks roaming the map), and 3. It works with the theme. Having sharks in an ocean map would be awesome :p. Though a question that occurred to me, how exactly would these work? Lets say a player is killed by a zombie. Would the zombie then move away from the player, or continue to attack him, making the player lose 1 life every couple of seconds? Change is welcome, and I feel I posted my previous comment without fully thinking it over. This could work well, but it needs to be done well.

Araidian

The Lucario
Reaction score
Thinking about it. At the moment, it sounds like a lot to work on, but as with Cold Water rounds, it could be introduced.
"This round is infested with Zombies! Be careful!"
Or at least that sort of thing.
Maybe these creatures can eat though certain blocks?
As Sploorky said, change is good. If this was on the server, I think that would bring a whole new level of survival.

I like.

• Agree
Reactions: oliver56bird

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Actually, this would be a great idea, if you think about what other people refer to lava as "Oh just make a 2x1 house and sit in there and AFK for half an hour and win." It will actually provide more challenge for the players and make lava rounds more adventurous and interesting, rather then having people sitting around in a building that they made doing nothing for the round time, which is why many people who play on the other servers refer lava as a tedious server because of this reason. With this addition, it'll make players more hazardous with their surroundings, and it'll decrease the amount of players going AFK for the round because they have nothing to do. It still provides the tradition lava survival as well, just with a bit more spice involved. So if it actually is possible for this to be implemented, then I think it would be a great add-on to the server.

Reactions: paceboys

Kevin_28

Reaction score
Sploorky: Good questions, bud. I was thinking as soon as the creature kills a player, it will respawn to its "designated zone" that the monsters are spawned from. I was also thinking that controller+ can dictate what creatures and how many will spawn in the map.

Araidian: Yea this will be a fairly major change to the server, but if we decide to go for it, I feel it would be a lot of fun.

Ronaldo: Yup, I hope this will add a nice dimension to it. We don't even necessarily need creatures every round, keep it interesting.

Here's a new idea that I haven't quite sold myself on yet: Guns that will not grief or kill anyone, but are designed to kill creatures (send them back to their spawn), should they chase you down. As in real life, ammunition would need to be purchased in /store or /sstore. However, all that would probably lag the server.

G

Guest35486

Actually, this would be a great idea, if you think about what other people refer to lava as "Oh just make a 2x1 house and sit in there and AFK for half an hour and win." It will actually provide more challenge for the players and make lava rounds more adventurous and interesting, rather then having people sitting around in a building that they made doing nothing for the round time, which is why many people who play on the other servers refer lava as a tedious server because of this reason. With this addition, it'll make players more hazardous with their surroundings, and it'll decrease the amount of players going AFK for the round because they have nothing to do. It still provides the tradition lava survival as well, just with a bit more spice involved. So if it actually is possible for this to be implemented, then I think it would be a great add-on to the server.
I think it's a great idea as well, but what if the player has to reaL AFK? Like if they had to use the WC, get a phonecall, etc. They would come back and be like: "WTF, I had to AFK, now I'm killed."

• Agree
Reactions: Notme

Sploorky

Reaction score
Claire1018 said:
I think it's a great idea as well, but what if the player has to reaL AFK? Like if they had to use the WC, get a phonecall, etc. They would come back and be like: "WTF, I had to AFK, now I'm killed."
That could happen if the mood suddenly changes or they built with the wrong blocks. This gives them a reason not to afk, or if they have to, they could leave the server until they are done.

oliver56bird

Reaction score
I think we would get called on for griefs quite a lot if creatures could eat blocks, but I guess thats ok. Another thing is that creatures could only appear during certain rounds, like I think as Araidian might have said.

Kevin_28

Reaction score
I think we would get called on for griefs quite a lot if creatures could eat blocks, but I guess thats ok. Another thing is that creatures could only appear during certain rounds, like I think as Araidian might have said.
Yea that's the main thing. If creatures eat through blocks, people will start nagging us about it. I agree with sploorky in regards to AFK users.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
If they really have to AFK due to real life reasons, then for the most part they will have to log off, or AFK in the spawn in these cases. Seconding what Splooky said, if the mood was on Furious and they AFK in a house with the melting block, then it would still be the same problem of them being killed. They should've payed attention that the mood was furious and their house was most likely going to melt. Same case goes for the creatures, which is why Araidian suggested a good idea as well, displaying messages that there are going to be lava creatures roaming round for the round, so the players know that if they want to AFK safely, then they either have to log off or sit in the spawn. It's on them if they don't want to lose lives.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
That's the risk of AFKing in most any server. If they don't want to risk lives, why not just log out? Remove the risk of losing a life.

• Agree
Reactions: Kevin_28