Map Submission Voting/Rating

erik1979

Reaction score
It just hit me tonight when I was catching up on the three new map submissions that were just submitted once the forums went up.

I feel like we should have some sort of a voting/rating system for the maps that are being submitted + those that are already accepted. Based on this I have come up with the following ideas:

1:

Maps that are being submitted get voted on weekly, X amount of +1's and the map is submitted, X amount of -1's and the map is declined.

2:

A map review/rating sub-category that would contain a thread for each individual map where the map could be rated based on aspects of gameplay (running, hiding), aesthetics(theme,continuity,quality), and possibly other things that I am too tired to think of at this very second.

3:

Map voting system like the one previously stated, except maps are just voted on until they reach the amount of +1s and -1s that are needed for a submission or for a denial. Along with this voting system would come a rating system right away in which people could rate the map based on what they think from the users post and exploring the .lvl file. This would not be as quality though as a review system for maps that have already been submitted because then the gameplay and other multiplayer factors within the map could be rated.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE constructive criticism, so please, criticize.

D

DieLorelei

I like the idea of #2.

Voting for maps isn't really fair because every map before this has been given a shot in game and either removed immediately or kept for a week and removed at next new rotation, or stayed... Along with the fact that many people don't participate in server voting, much less a new form of voting, nor are many zombie players that active in the forums - i don't think it work out...

But in the case of #2, it would allow a general comparison of ALL the maps, and could be organized in a simple Google Doc ratings list that could be viewed with the results side by side in a spreadsheet. It could inspire new rotations and benefit future maps that would take from the results to build with similar and combined structures.

erik1979

Reaction score
Actually, when I was creating this thread and thinking about the 3 ideas I ended up favoring #2 in the end myself. It just seemed more logical, and made a bit more sense to me. It would also allow players to go back and look at some of the maps that they might not have ever played, and allow them to request them for future rotations and such.

One Survivor

Terminator Zombificator, Stone Survivor!
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like that, yet, I think we should; Just vote on the map submission, either 0 - 10. Of course, not everyone will do that, but at least it feels comfortable to me.

erik1979

Reaction score
I think that the amount of people that would actually constructively criticize maps would be a good amount, or at least enough to actually matter.

D

DieLorelei

Hold on... Each map has a page on blocktopia's wikipedia right?
There is a code somewhere to add little rating stars that automatically count up the average and translate it into a star/half-star... Hard to explain, but if you've seen one before you know what I'm talking about...

We could just edit the wiki pages to add this code and have it as a rating thing under the picture of the map on the right.
Overall score ( stars) (#of people that have rated)
Running (stars) (#people)
hiding, aesthetics,theme,continuity,quality etc.

and a comment box below...
easy enough right?

erik1979

Reaction score
That sounds fantastic. I definitely think that your idea is a reasonable thing to be added into the wiki, and add it in for all servers.