[Map] Polar

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wimali

Mapname: Polar. (But hey, if anyone can think of a better name, it could be changed immediately.)

Creator: bram13

Size: 128x128. Now I do realize this might be a lot this time because of the huge amount of ice, but I think that shouldn't be an extremely big problem, seeing as there's less air in it. Alright, it might be a -little- bit laggy for the player, but seeing as Glacier and Winter_Wonderland aren't causing that much lag at all, I think this one should do fine. Oh, by the way, I haven't done the bedrock walls yet, will do that if it gets accepted.

Biome: Ice_Plains! Map should start at, like, midday?

Screenshots:

An overview of the map.

The spawn of the map, which is located in one of the two caves. It's right at the entrance of the cave, so the players could either explore the cavern or the aboveground area.

A view from the spawn. As you can see this map only contains birch trees, which are all located in the main cavern.

Lower area of the cave.

Above-ground!

I've put some random chests everywhere.

An area with some wheat in the beginning stage of growing. OMG WHEAT NERF PLZ
Timers:

The first two timers of the map. They should both release at 7:00 and 12:00.

The third timer is located all the way up the cavern, releasing at 19:30.
There's also another timer in the second cavern which releases at the same time.

Fourth one's close to the cavern. It releases at 23:00.

The fifth one should release at 27:00. After this there's one more timer which I haven't actually marked, and I'll tell you why here: You should put the timer a few blocks above the build limit (haven't chosen a build limit, put it where you think it should be). I don't like timers being in the air, being all ugly and ruining the view. But if it's above the build limit, it shouldn't be marked, right? Right. Just have it release from the middle of the map or something. 30:00 minutes.
If you included chests, then list the items that are contained in each of them (Optional): Most of the chests just have some fish, snow-balls and other useless crap in them. There's only one that -might- have some OP stuff in it:
I'd completely understand if you'd think the items in it are excessive, in which case I'll immediately edit it to be like all the other chests.

Any block that you prefer to be no-break or no-drop?: Ice shouldn't flow when broken (obviously). No blocks should be no-break or no-drop, but if you want to make any blocks no-drop or no-break please contact me so I can change the map in a way that blocks shouldn't be no-drop/break because I really think no-drop and no-break blocks are a great way to completely ruin a map.

Any extra information about your map?: Snow-related maps seem to be quite popular again, eh? I feel like this one is still a little unique though. The only problem I personally see with it is that it doesn't have a lot of sand or wood, but I feel like that might not be too much of a problem. If too many people complain about it though I'll try to see if I could add some.
Download link: Not providing a download or doing the bedrock walls unless it gets accepted, because that's just a waste of time imo if it doesn't get accepted anyway. If you'd like to check out the map without having to do a lot of work, I've set up a temporary server at 91.181.74.191:25565 just to have people be able to see the map. (And no, I'm not trying to advertise a server here: It's a private server ONLY up for people to see the map) i got bored heres the download http://www.mediafire.com/?vb0o1e6jaxbmi0p

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
Providing a download link/warp makes a map easier to accept, By just having the pictures we can't see the "full" image of the map. So having the map allows people to walk around it.
The map is very unique from my point of view besides that its a snow map, and actually reminds me of Antarctica so great job with that. I see no reason why not to +1 but then again I cant see the full map. :p

W

Wimali

Providing a download link/warp makes a map easier to accept, By just having the pictures we can't see the "full" image of the map. So having the map allows people to walk around it.
The map is very unique from my point of view besides that its a snow map, and actually reminds me of Antarctica so great job with that. I see no reason why not to +1 but then again I cant see the full map. :p
I don't provide download links anymore (unless it's been accepted) because no one downloads it anyway except for the directors anyway :p
But it's on my private server (91.181.74.191:25565) so just join that if you want to see the map. It's even easier than downloading a map! :p

H

Harold1995

I like this map :D It's uniqe like buta said, Besides from that this is more different then the grass maps:D

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Interesting map. I like the juxtaposition of having life in the caves and an arctic landscape on top. It's reminiscent of scientists that drill into ice trying to find microscopic life.
Aside from that, I didn't know that there was a mod in RoF that made it possible to stop a water flow if ice is broken.

Reactions: 1 person

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Well, it's a pretty good map I guess. To me, it seems a bit like Glacier meets Quarks. I do believe the iron shovel ought to be removed, it's a bit much, otherwise the chest is fine. Overall, a good map Bram, can't wait to see it in rotation.

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
Could be a bit taller, or at least have a few threats above the ice. Other than that, wouldn't mind seeing this put in.

W

Wimali

Okay so I've updated the map with 1.7 stuff. Here's an overview picture:

And here's the changelog:
- Added some random patches of packed ice throughout the ice, it looks a little (dare I say it) "cooler" in my opinion.
- Edited a secret. This secret does not have a timer in it, because it can only be accessed by people with feather falling IV and blocks can't be placed in it.
- Made the entrance to the spawn cave better. People can now leave the spawn cave without altering blocks!
- Added some glassy terrain.
- Made the ice look more natural.
- Added an oak wood taiga outpost.
- Added a stone brick taiga outpost.
- Removed the wheat farm and replaced with some weird arena thing.
- Added a grave in the cave.
- Added new types of flowers in the cave.

New no-drop & no-place blocks:
- Lapis lazuli block
- Jukebox
- Skulls

Not planning on updating it anymore.
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?hnbzbppezcdgqln

Status
Not open for further replies.