Map-Making Tutorial Sessions

erik1979

Reaction score
Alrighty guys, after reading multiple posts and having some inquiries about how to make a Blocktopia map I've come up with an idea, and I need you guys to tell me what you think.

The Plan:

A build tutorial, for builders, by builders.
I've built one Blocktopia map in collaboration with some of the best map builders around, Skyworld. Since then I've assisted in building a decent portion of the newer Blocktopia maps in one way or another. Over this time I've gained the knowledge of nearly every command within McForge server software, learned the ins-and-outs of what makes a good Zombie Map, and learned what it takes to actually construct this map.

Now, I want to take these skills and pass them on to others in a very organized and hands-on manner, because we all know this day in age we learn greatly based on experiencing something rather than just listening.

I plan to organize a sort of "class" or "session", in which I gather up a couple of the best builders and we teach others how to build, with an all hands on experience.

Now with saying this there would be two primary classes, a basic class for people just getting started building maps, and then an advanced class for people who have a basic knowledge of building.

Basic:
By completing the basic course you will have learned the following:
  • Basic-Intermediate building commands
  • Information about dimensions, files, submitting a map
  • Themed Map vs Non-Themed
  • Realistic or Fictional
  • Tips & Tricks on geometric objects
  • Tips & Tricks on terra-forming and organic objects
  • How to become a better builder
Advanced:
By completing the advanced builder course you will have learned the following:
  • Advanced building commands
  • How-to: Physics
  • Taking terra-forming to the next level
  • How-to: Natural creations (foliage, water, etc.)
  • In-depth analysis of running and hiding within maps
  • Lab: Create a map
  • What block do I use here? Creating an aesthetically pleasing map

So, give me some feedback and let me know what you think about this!

D0mac

Sneaky Beaver Purple guy= SBP guy
Reaction score
hmm sounds like a nice idea although im not sure if it would get the expected/needed turnout.
i mean i would be happy to help if you want. i would even be happy to do it with individual people.

but im not sure about too many people actually wanting/needing to do this.

erik1979

Reaction score
hmm sounds like a nice idea although im not sure if it would get the expected/needed turnout.
i mean i would be happy to help if you want. i would even be happy to do it with individual people.

but im not sure about too many people actually wanting/needing to do this.
The advanced class would pertain to more people, and that would be the more popular one I'd assume.

Pokemon365

Reaction score
yeah i'd take the advanced class. i have created 2 maps with one in the map submissions but i could get a better understanding of the maps like "would zombies pwn here? or humans mass survive?"
i think its a good idea, because with the fanbase becoming more popular, more people want to make maps that
have never made one before.

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
What about the time differences for pupils and tutors? How would you combat this?

Also, looks like quite the spam if it was all in chat >-<
You can serperate chats between maps can't you? I remember Guin doing this to me when he was teaching me and on TNT Tutorial if you went there you'd only see the OPs chat.

erik1979

Reaction score
I would be available to hold multiple sessions in one day to cover the differences in timezones. Also, the tutors that I have in mind have a very broad timezone range, keeping a tutor available for just about the entire day. I need to put some more thought into EXACTLY how many classes I want to run, and if I want to run the same class a couple times in one day or run the same class a couple of times over a span of a few days. Anyhow, it looks like the Advanced class is the most popular one, I will begin writing a lesson plan.

Tuna

Reaction score
if anyone wants to learn about "organic" terraforming and map design, I'd be willing to teach you. (assuming my computer doesnt overheat in about 20 minutes) cough flood cough

omgitsathong

PinWheels
Reaction score
Ooh this caught my eye c: i would also try to help. i know a few tricks or two. im not the best builder, but ill have a go at it!