Linguistic filter

DJJonosound

Ex CTNT/PTNT Op
Reaction score
Hi there,

I came across a problem yesterday, when some people kept on speaking another language. So it got me thinking, what if a feature was added, that worked a lot like the cursing filter. The filter would pick up possible 2-3 words from another language, and Either: sned a short message saying "Please speak english in the main chat" or Block the chat and state the above message. I would suggest we get the words from a website (Just google top 1000 words in [Language]) and also use the particles from the languages. I am not sure if would be hard, but only some of the main languages spoken would be needed (German, French, Dutch, Spanish etc.).

EDIT: Please note! It says pick up a few words (2-3) So that it hopefully WONT censor non foreign words! Since you are supposed to be speaking english only, you probably shouldn't be saying dutch words etc in your english... And any words that do conflict with english, can be removed from the list, as KingSam said he can do with the swear filter!

Your opinion, suggestions, etc. would be wonderful.

~DJJonosound

GrantaClause

Santa's Evil Twin
Reaction score
I like this idea, but I fear that as with all filters, it would start blocking messages it shouldn't, especially since many English words are similar to other languages.. Also, what if they don't understand what "Please speak English" means in English? The filter would have to somehow discern what they are trying to speak and translate it into that language.

DJJonosound

Ex CTNT/PTNT Op
Reaction score
@GrantaClause
Yes, The please speak english part could be a problem. I was talking to Marnixxie earlier, and he adressed the problem that some words overlap in other languages, so that would be a hard feature to implement. About the filter getting confused, I stated that it would have to recognise 2-3 words from another language.

@balloon98
I have no idea what you mean.

Kloud_Strife

TNT Drama Queen
Reaction score
Main problem is that it would censor messages that shouldn't be censored.
The problem with that is that the cursing filter already does that (try and say kazoo or salvage, see what happens).

So I'm going to say no, because that googles miniscule cerebral lobe does not comprehend some of the voacbulary that I enjoy using.

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score
The problem with that is that the cursing filter already does that (try and say kazoo or salvage, see what happens).

So I'm going to say no, because that googles miniscule cerebral lobe does not comprehend some of the voacbulary that I enjoy using.
Here's an idea: let's tell KingSam, who has the ability to edit that, rather than just using it as a point to display why the filter is bad.