Lava Survival Suggestion: Bring Deathrun Back.

Who agrees with me on this?

• Me! I do!

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • Nope. Not at all.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I agree with some of

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Faliara

Reaction score
BRING DEATHRUNS BACK.

That says it all.

o0O0o​

If that still doesn't explain it...

Remember the old days in Lava Classic?

When deathruns still existed?

I loved those rounds. So have others as well. We found it enjoyable. We run for our lives from the lava.

Don't say 'We already have King of the Ladder'. That doesn't count. It may be similiar, but it's not exactly surviving the lava now is it? I'm not saying to remove it; I'm just asking to put it back.

Make it once every 3 lava rounds. Or maybe at random. When we get deathruns, at least we know that everyone is running and not sitting on their thumbs or twiddling their fingers. If it's too laggy,find a way to make it less laggy, and then put it back in.

If you still can't, I'll understand, but will probably feel bored as I play.

In RoF, I can't go glitch into wool blocks and pretend I'm sleeping anymore, or make big spawnhouses and pretend it's a hotel, cinema and other things. When you're a former Classic Lava regular, you feel like as if you're a little shackled in what you can do when you play RoF. That's in my opinion, anyway. It feels more boring, which is not what I expected to say when I came across RoF.

I want something more. The classic maps turned into premium maps isn't enough to remind me of Classic Lava. I think deathruns would really spice the game up.

Hope you bring it back...

Forseti

The Presiding One
Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I really like this thread; you bring forth a very good standpoint from someone from classic lava! Quite informative for me, a person who hadn't visited classic lava in a while and forgot the "customs," so to speak.

Anyways, I'm sure deathrun has been discussed before, and dirtcake (and possibly Ogarci) declined. Don't take my word for it, but I believe dirtcake said it was too hard to code. I'll look through IRC logs, because I know I was there when he briefly talked about it, but I'm not sure if there will be a change in opinion. It depends on why exactly it hasn't been/won't be added, but (in my opinion) mass approval from the player base should say something.

Regarding your statement of feeling "shackled in" -- don't worry, we do have something in the works.. and if you ask me, it's damn amazing. That's all I have to say on that, though. ; )

Faliara

Reaction score
Personally, I really like this thread; you bring forth a very good standpoint from someone from classic lava! Quite informative for me, a person who hadn't visited classic lava in a while and forgot the "customs," so to speak.

Anyways, I'm sure deathrun has been discussed before, and dirtcake (and possibly Ogarci) declined. Don't take my word for it, but I believe dirtcake said it was too hard to code. I'll look through IRC logs, because I know I was there when he briefly talked about it, but I'm not sure if there will be a change in opinion. It depends on why exactly it hasn't been/won't be added, but (in my opinion) mass approval from the player base should say something.

Regarding your statement of feeling "shackled in" -- don't worry, we do have something in the works.. and if you ask me, it's damn amazing. That's all I have to say on that, though. ; )
Are you sure?

It's more realistic, I'll give it that, but I can't really make awesome houses like this. My creativity was endless when I was on Lava Classic, but now? It's hard to make those cinemas and hotels and restaurants because it's hard to get certain resources. So I feel quite bored. That's why I want deathruns back.

• Informative
Reactions: Forseti

Forseti

The Presiding One
Donor
Reaction score
If you're asking if I'm sure about deathrun: remember, it's not exactly up to me, but I do recall it being previously declined. You'll have to wait on dirtcake and/or Ogarci to post here to get a real answer.

As for the rest of your post, and I mean this in the nicest way possible -- keep in mind that Rituals of Fire is not a direct clone of Classic Lava. Some things are bound to be different. I have seen people team up to build a hotel, though! It just takes time to get those resources, and everything is much easier if you work together. Hey, maybe I can even play -- you know, as in survival mode with /god off :b -- and help you out if I see you online! : D

That's all I really have to say on the matter. I'd love to see deathrun, but like I said.. it's not my decision, sadly.

EDIT: After thinking about it for a bit and looking through some IRC logs, I've thought of a few faults. I am a guy who only briefly played deathrun once, too.. failed to mention that.
  • Maps would need to be made specifically for the new mode, and I'd rather we have more actual maps.
  • Items. We could make players not lose them, but then we have stuff like Fire Protection enchantments, and golden apples that grant invincibility...
  • Just a big hassle (as previously stated) to code a new mode and everything.
  • "Premium parkour sucks" - Sploorky

Faliara

Reaction score
If you're asking if I'm sure about deathrun: remember, it's not exactly up to me, but I do recall it being previously declined. You'll have to wait on dirtcake and/or Ogarci to post here to get a real answer.

As for the rest of your post, and I mean this in the nicest way possible -- keep in mind that Rituals of Fire is not a direct clone of Classic Lava. Some things are bound to be different. I have seen people team up to build a hotel, though! It just takes time to get those resources, and everything is much easier if you work together. Hey, maybe I can even play -- you know, as in survival mode with /god off :b -- and help you out if I see you online! : D

That's all I really have to say on the matter. I'd love to see deathrun, but like I said.. it's not my decision, sadly.
I know... I know it's not a clone. I just feel that... I would like it if DR comes back. It makes things less boring. I still hold on to the hope though. If enough people support me, then maybe...

• Optimistic
Reactions: Notme and Forseti

gay vampire

Little Miss Organs
Reaction score
I'm actually... Not quite sure about this suggestion.

The reason death run rounds were removed in classic lava were because they were a burden to keep the maps going; they had to constantly edit the maps to make them work, and even near the start of death runs the maps would bug out quite often, a bit less often after they were first tested. This is what I heard when I was staff there, along with some people saying only the people who had tested them through beta still enjoyed them (which I honestly don't think is too true, I've seen quite a bit of people liking it, maybe a little bit more then half our nearly nonexistent player base at the time), and I honestly started to get bored of them after a while, too.

I'm not sure about premium, however; premium is a much different thing from classic, and certain things may work, but I fear it may be too hard to code in premium, though I have no experience with coding in premium. And also seeing that classic is different from premium as I stated earlier, I'm not too sure it would work.

I'm honestly not sure how the player base would like it if we were to add it and it was possible. I've no clue if they'd like it or the idea, and if it wouldn't get boring after long. The parkours would be much easier unless we added premium stuff to them (which I'm sure we will). I... Still need to think a lot about whether it would be appealing to the player base.

I like your suggestion, I just think it won't happen ATM, so sorry. :c

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I did enjoy deathruns, however, there are many problems with them in Premium, which others have pointed out already. I would love to see this happening, but honestly, I doubt it's ever going to happen. Looking forward to that thing Forseti hinted towards, though :3

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
First off thank you for your submission, I really enjoy that you are trying to improve what we have here!

Secondly; I want you to know we aren't trying to bash your idea but we are solely explaining the reasoning behind why it more than likely will not be re-added.

Thirdly; I loved death run when it was on Classic which makes me different from most players here. It brought a very interesting perspective to the lava survival idea and most players loved it. Instead of just building a home and sitting there for a while it enabled players to have the thrill of what a real lava apocalypse could fee like, that being our running from the lava.

But however despite all this it had many issues with it on classic some of which I really thought ruined the game for many people. Those errors are countless and they will still be evident in the premium version of it. Not just those but there will be the issues with setting up a new store for this and we have to use items for it. I don't think we can really do that easily. I am not going to restate examples of this because they were aforementioned by Forseti.

Trust us on that we have no means of putting you down because this wasn't the best suggestion. It is a good one but it just won't be possible for us to add in as of right now.

Thanks again for your submission!

• Agree
Reactions: mariosatr

gay vampire

Little Miss Organs
Reaction score
Okay...

... But it will be added when it can, right?
It depends mainly on what the controller+ want and think is important/will be a hit, influenced by the player base and staff. It's ultimately up to the directors to decide if it can be added and if they want it, so it may or may not be added when it can or not.

Though it's a nice suggestion, but I'm sorta thinking that Death Runs won't entirely be a hit, and like Forseti said, there are numerous problems that need to be dealt with; it certainly wasn't that much of a hit on Lava, but blah, I'm just restating what I said before!

It's a wonderful suggestion, and thanks for suggesting it :3.

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.

To put it short a concisely: No.

A lot of what above is right. Particularly what Forseti said. We've considered it before. It's just there's not only so many issues, but premium stuff requires a GIGANTIC amount of effort and coding compared to the classic things. Not only this, but it's a direction that we're not sure we want to get into.

A bit of a teaser for some: dirt and I are planning big things in the near future and distant future. We want to focus on improving the CURRENT gameplay before we add another style of gameplay at all. This means more features, more things to do, but without straying away from the "Rituals of Fire" idea. More RPG style and less arcade/a ton of minigames. We want to add lore about the Lava God. We began making an entirely new language before we realized how hard it is. Stories and reasons behind everything you see. Why does mossy cobblestone connect every room in the lobby? Why are there moods? Besides that, gameplay elements like new crafting recipes and adding things to do with all of that "stuff." I can't say entirely or specifically what we have planned, because to be honest it isn't set in stone yet. The only thing I can say is that we've moved past Death Run when we opened the server on premium. It has so much more to offer than something that was done in classic.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
But... It doesn't feel that way to me...
Faliara... Just wait few months, it should be better than is now. Its still moderately young server.

For me "tipping point" was when Primordia existed for short while and it got closed over year ago. It was very fun.. but it had load of various issues (and 1.2 broken its basics). It counts as start of transition to premium for me. (or it could be since first premium server release and it accelerated with release of this server).

Now Blocktopia is way more experienced with Premium - for example Elysium is best SMP server ever for me. Every server is enjoyable and stable.

Fact is: We are just 2 weeks in New Era. Transition period has ended. Classic LS had over 3 years, when you joined. RoF is much younger - it has like 8 months now.

Faliara

Reaction score
But... It doesn't feel that way to me...
Faliara... Just wait few months, it should be better than is now. Its still moderately young server.

For me "tipping point" was when Primordia existed for short while and it got closed over year ago. It was very fun.. but it had load of various issues (and 1.2 broken its basics). It counts as start of transition to premium for me. (or it could be since first premium server release and it accelerated with release of this server).

Now Blocktopia is way more experienced with Premium - for example Elysium is best SMP server ever for me. Every server is enjoyable and stable.

Fact is: We are just 2 weeks in New Era. Transition period has ended. Classic LS had over 3 years, when you joined. RoF is much younger - it has like 8 months now.
Alright, I'll wait...

I just sort of wish I could at least play one more round of deathrun...

FoxMccloud64

Reaction score
Maybe on named "King of the Lava"

Somthing like this: everyones starts at the bottom of the level (underground zone maybe) and they have to reach the top of the mountain with parkour n stuff, while lava goes from the bottom to the goal, there also may be a variation, where everyone starts in the top and have to reach the bottom

In short, everyone spawns in bottom of the map, then have to reach to top while lava goes up, and backward version, lava goes down and everyone has to reach the bottom

Faliara

Reaction score

Somthing like this: everyones starts at the bottom of the level (underground zone maybe) and they have to reach the top of the mountain with parkour n stuff, while lava goes from the bottom to the goal, there also may be a variation, where everyone starts in the top and have to reach the bottom

In short, everyone spawns in bottom of the map, then have to reach to top while lava goes up, and backward version, lava goes down and everyone has to reach the bottom
YES!
Wait, I don't think they're listening right now...

TAG TIME.
Sploorky Kylieanna Forseti

gay vampire

Little Miss Organs
Reaction score
Can you please not? People reply to you when they're not busy, and just because they don't reply doesn't mean they haven't read it :c. I'm on a phone and it's hard to type on as well as the fact I'm in a taxi and risking carsickness. So can we not randomly tag people c:? Sorry if my comment sounds angry, and know I mean it more for informative purposes because this just honestly annoys me. Also note I spent 5 hours in front of a camera with freaking HUGE flash things and had much less sleep then usual (though 6-5 hours is normal for some blocktopians, I sleep like, 10 hours)

EDIT: Back from the taxi! FoxMccloud, that's basically Death Run. The concept of Death Run is so parkour/run away from a wave of chasing lava going up, down, left, right, etc, while trying to reach a certain goal. I don't think it changes the concept, goal, or general idea of the original idea, and there were types of Death Run on classic where you had to run up. I don't think it's more or less harder to code, nor do I think ogarci/dirtcake will accept it due to it being the same idea.

ACTUALLY, I think it'll be a bit easier to code and could use part of the king of the ladder code, but it needs a new more original name. Again, up to Dirtcake/Ogarci to decide if they want it. Ignore that, I was derping x3.

ALSO WTF MISTAKES EVERYWHERE, MUST FIX.

Reactions: Duffie

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score

A bit of a teaser for some: dirt and I are planning big things in the near future and distant future. We want to focus on improving the CURRENT gameplay before we add another style of gameplay at all. This means more features, more things to do, but without straying away from the "Rituals of Fire" idea. More RPG style and less arcade/a ton of minigames. We want to add lore about the Lava God. We began making an entirely new language before we realized how hard it is. Stories and reasons behind everything you see. Why does mossy cobblestone connect every room in the lobby? Why are there moods? Besides that, gameplay elements like new crafting recipes and adding things to do with all of that "stuff." I can't say entirely or specifically what we have planned, because to be honest it isn't set in stone yet. The only thing I can say is that we've moved past Death Run when we opened the server on premium. It has so much more to offer than something that was done in classic.
This idea is pretty similar to Death Run, so I think Ogar's post sums it up.

gay vampire

Little Miss Organs
Reaction score
Yes, but it still requires most of the same coding as the original suggestion, and dirt and ogar don't really want to code in Death Run or related things at the current time and may not code anything like it in the future.