Reaction score
Map Name: nobuild
Map Authors: Blocktopia (EscapeRestart?) ZS Server, remade by MrRockman888
Game Type: Infection
Map Worldborder: The edge of the map/plot in front of the bedrock walls
Download: /warp nobuildremake
Round Time: 300 seconds
Preparation Time: 20 seconds
Spawn Locations: Sponge block (where the warp is set)
Can sprint: Yes
Fall Damage: No
Can drown: No

Here is a picture of the map:

Last edited:

tommy

Reaction score
Hey Rock,

First off thank you for submitting. Getting right to it I don't think a map like this would work very well in its current state. Although the old nobuild was arguable one of my favorite maps ever there are some things that hold this back. I think it is far too easy for humans to win, one big reasons the map was good on classic was the fact that the server usually had around 20 people on at a time also the map was 10 minutes long.(although I don't think you should change the time to 10 minutes) The current time seems far to short in my opinion especially because the server doesn't have as many people on anymore it makes it hard for the first infected to get it started. Something else that adds to this is no sprint. Personally I feel like no sprint maps are going out of style more and more people prefer maps with sprint which is understandable. It is more fast paced and really changes the game when it comes to a map like this one. With no sprint enabled I could see everyone easily outrunning 1 zombie around the top of the map especially the lip around it.

To summarize, I think the round time is too short, I think some sort of speed effect/sprint should be added, and the top of the map seems too human sided. Until there are 3~ zombies around there doesn't seem to be anything really that would offer much of a challenge. (I don't think however, all these points should be changed at once only 1-2 because if you changed all of them it would likely make it more zombie sided) For example something like this in my opinion would be worthy of testing:

Same map with sprint and slightly longer round, or no sprint or speed effects but the connecting beams on top are removed/changed somewhat longer, or something you think of it is your map after all.

Overall I am going with a 0 for now because I would like for a map like this to be tested I just don't believe right now it is ready for it.

Thanks

Reactions: Vatumok

MrRockman888

Reaction score
Hey Rock,

First off thank you for submitting. Getting right to it I don't think a map like this would work very well in its current state. Although the old nobuild was arguable one of my favorite maps ever there are some things that hold this back. I think it is far too easy for humans to win, one big reasons the map was good on classic was the fact that the server usually had around 20 people on at a time also the map was 10 minutes long.(although I don't think you should change the time to 10 minutes) The current time seems far to short in my opinion especially because the server doesn't have as many people on anymore it makes it hard for the first infected to get it started. Something else that adds to this is no sprint. Personally I feel like no sprint maps are going out of style more and more people prefer maps with sprint which is understandable. It is more fast paced and really changes the game when it comes to a map like this one. With no sprint enabled I could see everyone easily outrunning 1 zombie around the top of the map especially the lip around it.

To summarize, I think the round time is too short, I think some sort of speed effect/sprint should be added, and the top of the map seems too human sided. Until there are 3~ zombies around there doesn't seem to be anything really that would offer much of a challenge. (I don't think however, all these points should be changed at once only 1-2 because if you changed all of them it would likely make it more zombie sided) For example something like this in my opinion would be worthy of testing:

Same map with sprint and slightly longer round, or no sprint or speed effects but the connecting beams on top are removed/changed somewhat longer, or something you think of it is your map after all.

Overall I am going with a 0 for now because I would like for a map like this to be tested I just don't believe right now it is ready for it.

Thanks
I updated the map by adding a few more pathways, the ability to sprint, and increasing the round time to 5 minutes.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Thanks for your submission!

Generally maps with sprint are better because they make the relative mapsize smaller. When there are not as many players on (as for example CZ) the game can feel pretty slow and extremely hard for the first zombie. I think this will be the case if you do not add sprint to this map. It's easy to climb or swim up and then walk in circles indefinitely. This is not to say no-sprint maps can't work.
Now you added sprint to your map which doesn't actually make it better. Sprint needs to supported by the map and it definitely doesn't seem so here. The map should have a bit of a flow so that you can keep running and here you'll get stuck on all the watervators and stairs.
I don't think you should add more stuff but rather rethink on how you want to design the map. Either make a nobuild especially for sprint without the watervator and with nice jumps. Perhaps make the walls unreachable because it can be a problem with 1 zombie.
What may also work is just pure nosprint nobuild, without any jumps, water or spawn added.

MrRockman888

Reaction score
Thanks for your submission!

Generally maps with sprint are better because they make the relative mapsize smaller. When there are not as many players on (as for example CZ) the game can feel pretty slow and extremely hard for the first zombie. I think this will be the case if you do not add sprint to this map. It's easy to climb or swim up and then walk in circles indefinitely. This is not to say no-sprint maps can't work.
Now you added sprint to your map which doesn't actually make it better. Sprint needs to supported by the map and it definitely doesn't seem so here. The map should have a bit of a flow so that you can keep running and here you'll get stuck on all the watervators and stairs.
I don't think you should add more stuff but rather rethink on how you want to design the map. Either make a nobuild especially for sprint without the watervator and with nice jumps. Perhaps make the walls unreachable because it can be a problem with 1 zombie.
What may also work is just pure nosprint nobuild, without any jumps, water or spawn added.
I removed the watervators and added better stairs; that should add a better flow to the map

tommy

Reaction score
Alright so after all these changes I think the map is a bit better than the original submission. I still think a few things can be changed such as the wall surrounding the map, in my opinion, should be raised so people can not just run around in circles (squares) and easily win. The stairs that you have added to the map I'm not quite 100% behind but we will not really be able to tell until possible testing. The map right now in my opinion doesn't seem to work that great with a low amount of players but again this is just speculation. I would still like to get more of the staff's opinions AoDStaff

• Agree
Reactions: Vatumok

MrRockman888

Reaction score
Alright so after all these changes I think the map is a bit better than the original submission. I still think a few things can be changed such as the wall surrounding the map, in my opinion, should be raised so people can not just run around in circles (squares) and easily win. The stairs that you have added to the map I'm not quite 100% behind but we will not really be able to tell until possible testing. The map right now in my opinion doesn't seem to work that great with a low amount of players but again this is just speculation. I would still like to get more of the staff's opinions AoDStaff
I forgot to mention that I edited the worldborder in the original post

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
The map now supports sprinting so it feels nice to run around. Humans can't just walk around the border to survive meaning the first zombie stands a chance. It's still a very simple map but looking at how maps like Octopus of Love (very simple design) is rated highly I do want to give it a chance that it may have really fun gameplay.

+1, want to try on server.

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
My apologies for the late reply, I totally forgot about this so again, my apologies.

With the edits you made me very curious how it will work out in the server since we dont have many similar maps yet.

+1, interested how this will work in the server

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the map.
I do have my doubts about how well this map will work on AoD, however I am willing to give it a shot, so lets try it.
-Accepted

• Optimistic
Reactions: Mastersten
Status
Not open for further replies.