Hex - Like Hearthstone But Actually Really Not

ReyvnNova

"Come buy our orchard fruits, Come buy, come buy~"
Reaction score
Actually it's more like Magic:TG.

Hex is a TCG that's in beta as of this moment, that will have MMO elements like group PvE dungeons and equipment. It also has an in-game auction house which is pretty neat, because you can get individual cards instead of RNG'ing those booster packs.

Last edited:

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
Actually it's more like Magic:TG.​
Yeah, so far after the tutorial and some of the starter trial games, the mechanics themselves feel very, very similar to how Magic plays, at least at the basic level.
(speaking of Magic, I've heard Cryptozoic/the devs are currently battling a lawsuit by Wizards of the Coast over this game? Or was that resolved recently? If it hasn't finished by now I hope they pull through!)

I can't decide whether the threshold system feels very similar to Magic's land system, or slightly different.
I'm going to lean on slightly different because it definitely feels like Magic's land system, even having 5 different types of "land" (Blood, Wild, Ruby, Diamond, Sapphire), but I definitely think it's better since, from what I've played so far, you definitely won't get as mana-starved as you can in Magic (as far as I can tell from limited/early playing). I think I mostly feel that because most cards I've seen only need around 1-3 thresholds (of BWRDS) to be played, and those stay around all game, and since you get a resource every time you play a threshold, and resources act similarly to Hearthstones crystals, you mostly have to care about that. Playing cards definitely isn't as "land" dependent as Magic; I like that.

Having too much thresholds also doesn't seem as bad since they also charge your Hero's personal power, but it's still kind of bad if that's all your drawing. x)
Speaking of drawing, have you seen any "draw extra cards" cards yet? Like Pot of Greed in Yugioh or Arcane Intellect in Hearthstone? I seem to go through my hand pretty quickly.... ...That's probably just me being the problem though.

Once they get the PVE dungeons and campaign rolling out of development I definitely think it could turn into something nicely unique since I don't believe many TCG's have done a successful PVE sort of campaign mode, especially multiplyer PVE.

EDIT: also there's a race of magical talking rabbits/tiny critters that seem to have a feudal japan aesthetic bent on conquest What adorable, evil little creatures.
DOUBLE EDIT: I picked Humans as my starting race/deck. So much synergy!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ReyvnNova

ReyvnNova

"Come buy our orchard fruits, Come buy, come buy~"
Reaction score
Yeah, so far after the tutorial and some of the starter trial games, the mechanics themselves feel very, very similar to how Magic plays, at least at the basic level.
(speaking of Magic, I've heard Cryptozoic/the devs are currently battling a lawsuit by Wizards of the Coast over this game? Or was that resolved recently? If it hasn't finished by now I hope they pull through!)

I can't decide whether the threshold system feels very similar to Magic's land system, or slightly different.
I'm going to lean on slightly different because it definitely feels like Magic's land system, even having 5 different types of "land" (Blood, Wild, Ruby, Diamond, Sapphire), but I definitely think it's better since, from what I've played so far, you definitely won't get as mana-starved as you can in Magic (as far as I can tell from limited/early playing). I think I mostly feel that because most cards I've seen only need around 1-3 thresholds (of BWRDS) to be played, and those stay around all game, and since you get a resource every time you play a threshold, and resources act similarly to Hearthstones crystals, you mostly have to care about that. Playing cards definitely isn't as "land" dependent as Magic; I like that.

Having too much thresholds also doesn't seem as bad since they also charge your Hero's personal power, but it's still kind of bad if that's all your drawing. x)
Speaking of drawing, have you seen any "draw extra cards" cards yet? Like Pot of Greed in Yugioh or Arcane Intellect in Hearthstone? I seem to go through my hand pretty quickly.... ...That's probably just me being the problem though.

Once they get the PVE dungeons and campaign rolling out of development I definitely think it could turn into something nicely unique since I don't believe many TCG's have done a successful PVE sort of campaign mode, especially multiplyer PVE.

EDIT: also there's a race of magical talking rabbits/tiny critters that seem to have a feudal japan aesthetic bent on conquest What adorable, evil little creatures.
DOUBLE EDIT: I picked Humans as my starting race/deck. So much synergy!
I believe the trial for the lawsuit is happening in a year from now (not a backed up system at all!). It irks me as Magic hasn't released the type of game I want from them for years, but rather games with few decks that have predetermined cards. Then Hex finally does it and they try to sue them.

The mana/land system is very familiar for those who have played MTG. However the threshold/resource system does allow multi-coloured decks to be land starved less often, and the hero ability provides a power to those drawing too many lands.

There are some drawing cards...Oracle Song, Eye of Creation sorta, and things like Moon'ariu Sensei from the top of my head. I don't think there's as much as other games though, maybe due to there only being two sets out at the moment. There's also not many ways to scry your deck for particular cards/thresholds.

I'm really looking forward to see what they can do with the PvE though. Card games like this only ever have PvP playablility, it will be nice to just get some friends and do a dungeon. Also Japanese rabbit deck is the best deck!

• Informative
Reactions: JKangaroo

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Glad I was not the only one that though MTG as soon as I saw it even the name hex has a magical intonation to me.
Looks interesting and the new MTG is going to be free to play maybe it will be a solid competitor to this open card system this time around.
Otherwise looks like I will be enjoying Hex much more.,

Reactions: ReyvnNova