Here we go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
In-game username: Hoogilan
[I do have a younger brother who is 7 and he enjoys RoF and I teaching him what to do and what not to do, his in-game name is Palookah]

Time-zone:

No UTC/GMT offset

How much time will you be able to spend staffing the server each day?

On weekdays I can usually spend about 4 to 6 hours, on the weekends I can usually spend 10+ hours the server (I usually don’t do anything on weekends), If I am currently not on the server, I would be usually found on the IRC channel.

What do you think the responsibilities of an operator are on this server?

An operator on Rituals of Fire should always keep the player base under control and happy, if someone has a problem within the server, the operator should try to help the player out as much as possible and dealing with all the problems that player may have.

If a player has been flooded by a flooder, the operator should try to un-flood the flood as quickly as possible to prevent from anyone from dying, if someone has died from the flooder, the operator should give them a restore to make things fair and to keep the player that died calm and not to outburst in anyway.

When a new player joins the server, the operator should make them feel welcome and inform them all the information they need to know and answer all the questions that the player may have about RoF.

If there are any rule breakers within the server, the operator should stop them immediately, and show what they are doing wrong and tell them to read the rules again. If the player continues to break the rules, the operator should start to give them warnings for ignoring the last verbal warning, if the player continues to break the rules, further action may be needed either a kick or ban depending on the level of the rule broken.

If there has been something serious happening on the server and the operator is on IRC and is unable to get on, they should either try to ping another operator and explain what’s going on so another op can take care of all the issues that are going on or if there are not responses, try to contact one of the Vetop+

One last responsibility that I think the operator has, if an operator comes across another operator abusing their powers, The operator should screenshot the operator with clear evidence that he/she is abusing their powers, furthermore if that operator said anything unkind or highly offensive, the operator should get the logs from IRC and show this evidence to one of the Controllers+

What sets you apart from other applicants?

Well what I think makes my application stand out from the rest of the app’s is that I have been understanding how to staff servers since I was young, I have been helping out other communities back in the day, so I’m very flexible when it comes to do’s and don’ts, I understand that a staff member rank on a server is not just for the fun of it nor just for the extra commands, but I think a staff member on a server is a great way to help out players as much as possible.

What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member?

One of my greatest weaknesses would be my dyslexia, it affects my grammar and my speech, I can usually can spell things sometimes correctly but time to time I can’t spell a complex word nor use correct grammar and time to time I usually when I’m writing out large doc’s, I might end up going from 3rd person to 1st person by mistake, which can affect how I might be explaining something to a player, however I am working on improving my grammar and spelling. Sometimes when I talk start to stutter like mad and usually have to take a break to regain my conference to attempt it again, however this is only when I am on TS so it wouldn’t be that much of a big problem.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with?

If I approach a problem that I have no experience with, I will ask either a fellow operator or a Vetop+

What previous experience staffing on Blocktopia servers do you have?

In the past I reached the rank Operator on classic lava

References:

- Dessern5
- Kevin_28

Thank you for reading my application (I think I made it too long! :O)

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Hello Hoogilan, thanks for taking the time to apply. As you know, I had declined to reference you. I personally don't think you're as involved as a staff member should be. For instance, you've only posted twice in the RoF subforum, most recently in July. This application is only your third post in the entire section dedicated to Rituals of Fire.

I really do believe that a staff's work on the forums is just as important as their work in-game. Aside from catching griefers, welcoming new players, and making sure the server's okay, there's maps and staff apps and ban appeals that are all a very large part of an Operator's work. It's important that you're involved in the community, and this extends to the forums as well. It shows the players that you're on the same side, and that you care about the community enough to go weigh in on some threads. I'm very discouraged with your lack of forum activity. I'm also not a fan of your title. I think app titles should be professional, simply the name and then "Rank Application". It feels a bit undercooked when people have titles like this. But this is just my person preference. I've heard many of my fellow staff talk about how helpful you've been. While I may be less active due to school, I still get my 4 hours every week, and I haven't seen you being too helpful. Granted, people can miss it, so I can rely only on the references of my friends.

I feel as if you understand many aspects of the role, but I don't see you ready to fulfill those duties yet. I'm voting -1, but if you can become more involved in our community and convince me that you really understand what you're supposed to do, I'll welcome you with open arms.

Hoogilan has gone beyond proving himself to me, and he's also increased his forum activity. He'd be an excellent addition to our staff team. I hereby change my vote to +1, best of luck!

• Thank You
  • Sad
Reactions: Lux and MustabearXD

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
Thanks bib, I understand what you mean, I know I should be more active on the RoF side however I'm usually in a consent battle with my self, as I said above, I'm dyslexic so, I'm half of the time nervous as hell when making a new thread that actually means something, but I guess I could give it a go and try to post a bit more and try to be more active on the RoF side of the forums. Thanks!

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
I didn't see this coming at all!
Okay, hoogilan. I haven't seen you on the server very much, at all, and when I have you haven't really.. stood out to me. I know that timezones can be a pain, but I would have still expected to see you on more than a few times in the past few weeks.
I'm not too sure about this, I don't feel that you're ready for this position yet. Going to vote 0.

H

Harold1995

You are a great player and i have seen welcome and help alot of players.
However i am not sure if you are ready for operator yet.
Your work on the forums defenetly needs work and more interest as it is an important task of a staff member.
i'll give it a +1 but really close to a 0. I'd like to see you help and act more on RoF + Use the forums like Biblius said!

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Overall, hoog is a wonderful player to be around and he when there are issues that can't be handled with just a "Don't do this" he will contact ops but also knows how to keep it quiet. I've received numerous player reports from him in the past week and he knows what we expect of people. +1

FrenchSanta12

Voldemort
Reaction score
Overall, hoog is a wonderful player to be around and he when there are issues that can't be handled with just a "Don't do this" he will contact ops but also knows how to keep it quiet. I've received numerous player reports from him in the past week and he knows what we expect of people. +1

^I Agree with every word. I'm a little concerned about what Biblius posted, that you are barely active on RoF's section of the forums, but I'm sure you will catch up. +1

D

DarkHender

You are a great player and i have seen welcome and help alot of players.
However i am not sure if you are ready for operator yet.
Your work on the forums defenetly needs work and more interest as it is an important task of a staff member.
i'll give it a +1 but really close to a 0. I'd like to see you help and act more on RoF + Use the forums like Biblius said!

I have to agree with Harold, you are a wonderful player and you sure do help out a lot.
Though I am not sure you're ready to be Operator due to the fact you haven't really interacted with the community on the forums or from my knowledge, outside of rof.

+1 however, really close to a 0.

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
I thank you 4 personally for the +1's and I will be showing a huge increase on activity on the RoF section on the forums, I shall be staying active on them as much as much as possible, posting interesting things I find around RoF and I may be posting some suggestions at some point :3

Kevin_28

Reaction score
Hey Hoogs,

I remember serving alongside of you on the ol' classic lava server. You were certainly valuable as an Operator and I have no doubt in my mind that you will show the same excellence here on ROF. The forums aspect is not a deal breaker for me, though I would like to see you participate more often. You are active in both the server and I've seen you quite a few times on TS as well. You're a great player and fun to be around. You know the rules and I am sure you will enforce them well. You take the time to help other players. I have no reservations in giving you a +1 and I hope that you will be given the chance to serve alongside the rest of the amazing ROF team.

Sincerely,
Kevin_28 (The Rocketeer)

no touching my rockets.

• Thank You
Reactions: Lux and Henry

Forseti

The Presiding One
Donor
Reaction score
I find it very easy to get along with you, you have prior experience, and your knowledge shows in this application. There isn't much more for me to add since seeing you applying took me by surprise, but as you already know try to work on your forum activity. Personally, I'm not too bothered by it, but it could be better.

There's no way in my mind you could go wrong with this rank, so have a +1! c:

• Thank You
Reactions: Lux

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
Like Bib said you weren't really active in the forums which is just as important as interaction in game. But you seem to do well in game whenever I see you around. So I'm going for a 0

Status
Not open for further replies.