Harold's Operator Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harold1995

In-game username: Harold1995

Time-zone: UTC/GMT +1 hour (Amsterdam)

How much time will you be able to spend staffing the server each day?
I will be able to spend around 10-12 hours a day staffing on RoF everyday.
And if not i will be avalable on IRC.

What do you think the responsibilities of an operator are on this server?
I think the responsibilities are quite important as an operator it's important to keep order
and fun in the server as much as possible and to keep the players happy. Another task is helping players find their way into the game of Rof, the rules are an important part of this. We also need to be trustworthy and responsible to all the players and should be able to deal with any rule-breaking or other problems that might arise from time to time. Operators in general are the base of the server and it is their job to help and support the members.

What sets you apart from other applicants?
It's very easy for me to learn the commands needed for staffing and would have no problem learning
them in a more advanced way. I like to talk with people a lot show them around and would make sure they will understand if they would have problems even after several times i am very patient with players who do not understand how things work and would like to show them around.

What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member?
My main weakness is that English is not my native language. This being said I think that players can still understand my typing and follow my orders. The other weakness is more of a personal matter, I am not as mature as I should be. This is also a good thing in the way players can relate to me and have fun. Harold and strict do not go well together, but the rules are a big part of the server and me. I am of opinion that the rules need to be followed by everyone and I will talk to players that are not following them correctly.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with?
Firstly, I would check if there is another staff member online that can guide me in solving the problem. If this is the case I would ask the particular staff member for advice or guidance. Secondly, If there is no other staff member online for the time being and the problem does not require solving immediately I would write the name down and the problem and discuss it with another staff member. Lastly, if it requires immediate attention I would try to solve the problem as best as I could. In all these cases I would gain experience and take this to solve this problem better in future situations.

What previous experience staffing on Blocktopia servers do you have?
This will be the first time that I will be doing something like this, but I am confident that with time I can handle a position like this.

References:
Biblius
63LittlePiggy63

Thank you for taking time on reading my application!
Harold1995

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Ah, so many fine applicants this period. Reading through Harold's application, I became aware of the fact that English is not his first language. I was not previously aware of this, and it actually kind of makes me feel worse about my own English skills as a native speaker. (kidding)

Harold is one of RoF's greatest contributors in the entire span of its history. He's given help where it's needed, idea suggestions, MAPS, dear god the maps, and so much more than these. He's been somewhat reluctant to join the team, which is my only criticism.

He is an excellent candidate, mature, helpful, fair, and honest. I can think of few more worthy. +1

FrenchSanta12

Voldemort
Reaction score
As said, you're very active, helpful, kind and friendly. I do agree that players relate to you and like being around you. Also you gave a lot to RoF's maps, and many players like them, and I have to admit- there's few maps you submitted that are pretty descent.

However, your maturity level really bothers me.
Harold and strict do not go well together, but the rules are a big part of the server and me.
Harold1995
I don't really like what you're saying here. You must be strict to make people follow the rules or else they'd think you're just a joke or won't take a warning as much as they are supposed to. You're lacking maturity, and it's a major problem in my opinion. I can't really see you being serious about operating. Although I know you can be mature but in several times you can be really childish XD : P : D : C : ) ;o :c . The fact that your English isn't your native language isn't as bad as you maturity, your English is fine to be honest.

You're very friendly and patient to players, so that's very good, but I am very concerned about your maturity. 0 for now, learning towards +1

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
As said, you're very active, helpful, kind and friendly. I do agree that players relate to you and like being around you. Also you gave a lot to RoF's maps, and many players like them, and I have to admit- there's few maps you submitted that are pretty descent.

Harold and strict do not go well together, but the rules are a big part of the server and me.
Harold1995
I don't really like what you're saying here. You must be strict to make people follow the rules or else they'd think you're just a joke or won't take a warning as much as they are supposed to. You're lacking maturity, and it's a major problem in my opinion. I can't really see you being serious about operating. Although I know you can be mature but in several times you can be really childish XD : P : D : C : ) ;o :c . The fact that your English isn't your native language isn't as bad as you maturity, your English is fine to be honest.

You're very friendly and patient to players, so that's very good, but I am very concerned about your maturity. 0 for now, learning towards +1
Not going to turn this into an argument, I really do respect your opinion French, but I think you may be missing what Harold's trying to say here. Potentially, It's not that he wouldn't enforce the rules, it's just that he's more liberal about them. I think we have a wider range of liberal and conservative stances on enforcement here. I myself identify as being more liberal with rules and punishments. This doesn't mean I don't enforce rules as much as others, but that I prefer to encourage good behavior with praise than discourage bad behavior through punishment. Likewise, you have folks like DarkHender or Clockwork who prefer a stricter adherence to the rules and consequences. Neither approach is wrong, it's just a different method of handling staffing. We need strict and liberal staff to keep the server balanced. A staff team that's too much of either is inherently going to face an imbalance.

This is, of course, just my opinion. I think that Harold's got a very liberal perspective on staffing, similar to me, whereas you have a more conservative perspective. That's okay, we need both perspectives. And perhaps you see something that I don't, you undoubtedly know Harold much better than I do, but I just wanted to suggest that Harold might be saying something different here.

FrenchSanta12

Voldemort
Reaction score

Harold1995

Not going to turn this into an argument, I really do respect your opinion French, but I think you may be missing what Harold's trying to say here. Potentially, It's not that he wouldn't enforce the rules, it's just that he's more liberal about them. I think we have a wider range of liberal and conservative stances on enforcement here. I myself identify as being more liberal with rules and punishments. This doesn't mean I don't enforce rules as much as others, but that I prefer to encourage good behavior with praise than discourage bad behavior through punishment. Likewise, you have folks like DarkHender or Clockwork who prefer a stricter adherence to the rules and consequences. Neither approach is wrong, it's just a different method of handling staffing. We need strict and liberal staff to keep the server balanced. A staff team that's too much of either is inherently going to face an imbalance.

This is, of course, just my opinion. I think that Harold's got a very liberal perspective on staffing, similar to me, whereas you have a more conservative perspective. That's okay, we need both perspectives. And perhaps you see something that I don't, you undoubtedly know Harold much better than I do, but I just wanted to suggest that Harold might be saying something different here.
Well I just related it into him being immature you see.

• Informative
Reactions: Undefined User 7

Forseti

The Presiding One
Donor
Reaction score
You've been a grandmaster for a while now, not to mention an avid contributor as a player with a firm understanding of the server. The only issue I've seen out of you was (as you said) your maturity, but after paying attention to you lately I can see that it's been much better than the past.

Yeah, +1. Good luck! : D

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
I can't really say much else that hasn't been said already. You know you have times when you are not exactly mature but that is okay. I had talked to you before about how a staffer still needs to know how to have fun which you definitely know how to do. You are great with all players and I have seen you constantly volunteer to help out. I am going to go ahead and give this a +1.

Reactions: crafter

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
You definitely have that sense of fun that staff should have, and you seem like you can take things seriously enough. Seen you helping people out, so I'm all for at the very least a trial.

+1

Reactions: crafter

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
You obviously have dedication - you've been a grandmaster for as long as I can remember. You've helped out the players where possible, been friendly and contributed to the server itself with a few great looking maps. You're well known among the RoF players, and have a friendly vibe. I believe you could go far as a staff member on RoF.
+1 from me

Reactions: Forseti
H

Harold1995

Thank all of you for the lovely comments and ratings!
It's greatly appreciated. :)

Reactions: Henry

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score

Harold1995

Am I liberal?

But to the point here, being in an European timezone really helps out as it covers times when other operators are busy or indisposed. With 10-12 hours you would probably be the operator most people will see as that would be half of the day! (also would most likely be the most active operator). So it would not be as much as liberal, but the maturity. You can be serious and liberal, as I am I do not mind having fun, maybe killing a few players with the Pig-o-Copter (Restoring them after of course). But when it comes down to business, you are going to need to be able to get things done. As one of the staff you would be setting an example for the server as a whole for new members, and even returning members. So having fun every now and then is great, a few rounds out of the day. But if every round is a massacre, or "pre-made" OP house, whats the point in playing Lava Survival there would not be much survival from the lava. I am with French on this. 0 leaning towards an +1 just needs to show more maturity from what I've seen from him (which honestly is not as much as I would like responding to an application). More than willing to give him a shot at operator though if and when I actually watch him play the game more.

Also RonaldoSkillz thought I was still on trial so I did not respond. No one told me if I still was or not >.>

H

Harold1995

Am I liberal?

But to the point here, being in an European timezone really helps out as it covers times when other operators are busy or indisposed. With 10-12 hours you would probably be the operator most people will see as that would be half of the day! (also would most likely be the most active operator). So it would not be as much as liberal, but the maturity. You can be serious and liberal, as I am I do not mind having fun, maybe killing a few players with the Pig-o-Copter (Restoring them after of course). But when it comes down to business, you are going to need to be able to get things done. As one of the staff you would be setting an example for the server as a whole for new members, and even returning members. So having fun every now and then is great, a few rounds out of the day. But if every round is a massacre, or "pre-made" OP house, whats the point in playing Lava Survival there would not be much survival from the lava. I am with French on this. 0 leaning towards an +1 just needs to show more maturity from what I've seen from him (which honestly is not as much as I would like responding to an application). More than willing to give him a shot at operator though if and when I actually watch him play the game more.

Also RonaldoSkillz thought I was still on trial so I did not respond. No one told me if I still was or not >.>

I understand the maturity is a problem and working hard on it too improve, But as i see how my maturity is is that i talk too much with emotions rather then mess with players themselfs afcourse i can make a few jokes but when it comes to business thats where it gets serious. The staffing itself would be no problem when there is something that needs attention it would be fixed in all seriousness. Like french said:
Although I know you can be mature but in several times you can be really childish XD : P : D : C : ) ;o :c .
Use of emotions won't be in order if not necessary.
Thank You for the information though.

Status
Not open for further replies.