Fantastic Four Review

Fragile

Not Former Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.clubpenguin.com
So on Thursday, I went and saw Fantastic Four at a nearby theater. Here are some bits and pieces of reviews and such from IMDB:

"Reboots, remakes, prequels and sequels are pouring in nowadays, and many of them are constantly bombing. Fantastic Four is, unfortunately, one of them. But I'm still very surprised over just how bad it turned out."

"The one thing that stood out to me about Fantastic Four is just how unbelievably dull it is. For characters who have such a rich and colourful history in the comics, this really is a pretty drab affair. The film only has a 100 minute runtime however, it feels much longer, dragging its feet and feeling very tired right from the very start."

And, a particularly harsh comment from someone who was watching the movie at the time:

"40 minutes in. Contemplating drinking brake fluid to end my suffering."

Now, I should start by pointing out: Just how bad the film is is being blown out of proportion. No, Rotten Tomatoes, it is NOT worse than the original F4 and F4:RotSS. It is NOT worse than Daredevil.

The issue stems from one thing in particular: The comic book Fantastic Four. Fantastic Four isn't Spider-Man, The Avengers, or even the X-Men. Nope, the Fantasic Four are often misunderstood. While people often think the Fantastic Four are just like any other comic, going around for the sake of stopping evil, that's not the case. The Fantastic Four are, first and foremost, explorers. Whenever they do fight Doctor Doom or the Skrulls or the Mole Man, it's for the sake of preserving the Earth, and the universe.
Another thing, the Fantastic Four, much like the X-Men and the Pwer Pack, are a family. Not literally (Even though Ben Grimm really is the only exception), but they are very close. So, when the movie pulled characters out of its ass and strung them together through delusion (Reed has no connection to Johnny, Johnny has no connection to Ben, Ben has no connection to Sue) it took away from the needed effect.

Another big issue is the villain. In the comics, Victor Von Doom is a hard-hitting ruler with minimal magic abilities, super intelligence, and an army of robots. But in the film? Doctor Doom is hardly known, can control rocks (yes, you read that right), and doesn't have much in relation to Latveria (It's only even hinted at in the film).

This, of course, all blends down to a slow-moving film that drags itself on, of course, until you get to the part people want to see at least 15 minutes of. But hey, the four-minute fight was at least good... right?

Nope!

Basically, everyone went in seperately, and was taken down. Then four seconds later, they're all fine and they have a conversation, and decide to work together. Or just have the Thing punch him into the portal while the others distract him. In the end, (spoiler) Doctor Doom dies... Leaving me bored and unsatisfied.

TL;DR (and the rest i didnt feel like typing out):
-Misrepresented characters
-Questionably inaccurate villain
-Shitty and short fight scene
-Thing whines the whole time
-Beginning Drags on, end is rushed
-Sue Storm likes... patterns???

I was actually going to make this about how the movie wasn't as bad as people were saying it was, but then I wrote this review and realized it's worse than people are saying it is.
3/10, and I'm being pretty generous I think.

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Another thing, the Fantastic Four, much like the X-Men and the Pwer Pack, are a family. Not literally (Even though Ben Grimm really is the only exception)
No love for him just because he isn't related in the sense susan storm and johnny storm are and susan marrying reed? Hes like the cool but very angry uncle, a literal family! :)

Reactions: Fragile