double post merger.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
it would be nice if we had a thing to automagically merge double posts. while still bumping the thread.
i believe this has been tried before with mixed results. mostly of failure.
decided to ask anyway. thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Notme

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
I think what he means is that we have the ability to merge OUR double posts
Also currently if you edit a post it doesn't bump a thread, so that it bumps the thread as well

Let me know if I'm wrong x)

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
I've seen this done on some forums. It's a nice way to prevent accidental doubleposting, but it comes at the cost of not being able to have multiple posts when you want to - for example, even if it bumps the thread, some users may still skip over the post because the beginning of it looks like one they've already read and they don't realize there was a change. Another casualty would be meta jokes involving multiple posts in a row.

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
We've had that, it was deliberately disabled during the forum upgrade, and it will come back.

Hunter - whilst I appreciate your constant addon searching, it makes it seem like we don't do the same. By posting addon suggestings constantly in a wide variety of threads, instead of a collected post to e.g. me and Malcovent , you give the impression that we are a bunch of dumbwits not knowing xenforos abilities. I know you don't intend that, but that's what the result is. Just be aware that every Xenforo addon adds database query requests, slowing down every single page you open. We simply cannot run as many addons as we want, only for them to add one single fun thing that's basically useless except in rare moments. Forum stability > Forum Fun Features

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
We've had that, it was deliberately disabled during the forum upgrade, and it will come back.

Hunter - whilst I appreciate your constant addon searching, it makes it seem like we don't do the same. By posting addon suggestings constantly in a wide variety of threads, instead of a collected post to e.g. me and Malcovent , you give the impression that we are a bunch of dumbwits not knowing xenforos abilities. I know you don't intend that, but that's what the result is. Just be aware that every Xenforo addon adds database query requests, slowing down every single page you open. We simply cannot run as many addons as we want, only for them to add one single fun thing that's basically useless except in rare moments. Forum stability > Forum Fun Features
Requesting a stickied thread listing all installed add-ons to avoid redundant and/or conflicting suggestions.