Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnm

Reaction score
Right now donations are petty slow and generally come from the same people. From what I've seen / heard, a lot of people want to donate but can't as they don't have a paypal account / debit / credit card. I know this thread (http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/more-donation-options.16586/) was brought up a while ago but nothing, at least to my knowledge, was done about it. I'm unsure of the technicalities concerning it, but branching out into different donation options wouldn't be a bad thing.

Moving on, it may be worth discussing possible perks for donating. I know we're not going to give players that donate an advantage- that's something I wouldn't want- but small, really quite pointless aesthetic items could be an option. This would more be something like fireworks in the lobby when you log in, being able to wear wool on your head in the lobby too, small stuff just as a little thank-you.

Malc's idea about raffles could work- it could be a little bit of fun which also helps fund the community. Twitch streaming could be a viable option, although you have to be popular enough to have a subscribe button. It would be advertising as well, of course.

Those are just my general ideas- I'm sure there's faults / issues with them, but it is definitely something that needs to be looked at.

Last edited:

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Interested to see what suggestions we have but yes, might be an idea to look at how we deal with donations.

Currently mulling over the idea of moving to purchasable vanity items, alongside donations.

Could also do things like hold raffles for various games with ingame items (League skins, csgo skins) and openly state that a % goes to keeping the community funded.

Also not sure how possible it is or whether im just being optimistic at this stage, since I'm hoping to push the idea of members streaming games via twitch, could always have official (communityname) streams where (x%) of subscriber donations go to community upkeep?

Last edited:

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Interested to see what suggestions we have but yes, might be an idea to look at how we deal with donations.

Currently mulling over the idea of moving to purchasable vanity items, alongside donations.

Could also do things like hold raffles for various games with ingame items (League skins, csgo skins) and openly state that a % goes to keeping the community funded.

Also not sure how possible it is or whether im just being optimistic at this stage, since I'm hoping to push the idea of members streaming games via twitch, could always have official (communityname) streams where (x%) of subscriber donations go to community upkeep?
Getting a subscriber button twitch requires you to have x amount of followers or something like that, so I doubt we'd be large enough to get one :/

I do however like the idea of raffles, I'm certain people would love to pitch in for a good cause and a chance at getting something.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Bitcoin donations seems like the best alternative option we can give, to me at least.

Anyone else got any opinions on this? And Malcovent assuming you're handling donations, you'd be okay with setting up and being in control of a bitcoin wallet and using that to transfer funds into $/€/whateverthefuckwepaywith?

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Idea of raffles seems to have been received well by everyone it was floated with l and, Seems to fit in well with a number of games (CSGO, TF2, League) so we'll try to definitely adopt that.

Half half on the whole "more ways to donate thing", people suggesting SMS/etc. worries me that we may run straight into issues with kids paying via their parents mobile, more of the mind that If you don't have a card to donate with - should we really be extending ways for you to spend your money on us?

Would like some thoughts & opinions on whether I'm just being overly suspicious or if I'm right to say that there's no reason to really go beyond card/paypal donations.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Any more suggestions on ways to raise money?

Or if we should try expand to other payment services? (See my second paragraph in the post above).

I'll give this a day for any more responses,

Status
Not open for further replies.