• Posts in this section do not count towards your post count.

Define That Word!

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
This forum game is based off the somewhat popular game 'Fictionary'.

(However, some edits have been made in order to make it more forum-playable).

HOW DO YOU PLAY!?

Step 1. The person who starts chooses an obscure word from a physical/online dictionary and writes down that word.

Step 2. Underneath it, (s)he writes down five possible definitions for that word, including the correct definition.

Step 3. Now, it's the audience's time to shine! Anyone can pick one (and only one) of the definitions and make a post with it under the starter's post.

Step 4. Once the five definitions have been chosen by five unique people (as I stated earlier, each person gets one guess and one guess only. NO EDITING.) then the starter is allowed to reveal the correct definition. The player who chose the correct definition is the starter for the following round.

FAQ

1.) What if I can't find an obscure/good word?
Simply typing into Google (or your other preferred search engine) 'Obscure English Words' comes up with some great sounding words. In fact, I've already done it for your defining pleasure! http://bit.ly/198W2Zl

2.) Are we allowed to edit our posts?
NO EDITING.

3.) The definition I wanted has been taken. What do I do?
Sorry, but if the definition you want has already been taken by someone else, then it's theirs for that round. Of course, there's always the chance that you're both wrong, so try another available option!

4.) Are we allowed to change our minds?
All decisions are final and cannot be changed.

5.) Are we allowed to Google (or use other preferred search engines) to find out the definition of words?
I can't stop you, but I imagine Blocktopia has enough maturity in it to avoid doing so.

E.G.

Player 1: The word I have chosen is...
Xerophagy

DEFINITION 1: A disease often affecting the liver.
DEFINITION 2: A diet consisting of light, dry foods.
DEFINITION 3: An animal native to the Democratic Republic of e.t.c.
DEFINITION 4: A type of fungus which is found in many rivers across Oceania.
DEFINITION 5: A printer developed in 1964 by Ronald Jackson of Colorado.

Player 2: I pick the "disease often affecting the liver"! (Tags Player 1)

Player 6: I pick the "animal of the Democratic Republic of e.t.c."!
Player 3: I pick the "diet consisting of light, dry foods"! (Tags Player 1)
Player 4: I pick the "printer developed in 1964"! (Tags Player 1)

Player 5: I pick the "fungus which is found in many rivers in Oceania"! (Tags Player 1)

Player 1: And...the winner is...PLAYER 3, WITH THE DIET OF LIGHT DRY FOODS! (Tags Player 3)

Player 3: The word I have chosen is...

Get it?

To start everyone off, the word I have chosen is...
Yclept

DEFINITION 1: A type of food eaten in Africa.
DEFINITION 2: A rare skin infection normally found in infants after birth (one reported case in a 23-year-old female).
DEFINITION 3: To be called by a certain name.
DEFINITION 4: To experience extreme forms of deja-vu.
DEFINITION 5: The first ever "crash-proof" car; a patent was made in 2003.

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
Also people will just search what the words mean :/
I figured that would be a possibility, but then I thought "well, it's not really about *getting it correct* as such, it's more about having fun/learning new, weird words." If they Google it, well, that's their problem, they're obviously taking it much too seriously if it gets to that point.