Declined [Deathrun] DR_Subway

• Thread starter Deleted member 4601
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4601

Name of the map: DR_Subway
Intended Gamemode: Deathrun
Creator(s): Mulbery, with help from jackamel, Plive, Vatumok and Hoog with testing
Size: 109 x 25 (Height 26)
Biome: Plains

Screenshots, including timer areas:

If you included chests, then list the items that are contained in each of them (Optional): -NA-
Any block that you prefer to be no-break or no-drop?: -NA-
Any extra information about your map?: /warp DR_Subway on Create

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Right, on a more serious note, I've had a look at the map on Create. Whilst it does look pretty nice, I do have a few issues with it - 1, the fact it needs signage. I think if a Deathrun map needs a lot of navigation signage, it probably isn't clear enough, and that's proven when I found that when I went through the map, even with the signage, I found the map slightly confusing. The second is that there are a couple of tight gaps - if the pushing fix I'm hoping will work doesn't work, it'll be hard getting through those 2x1 gaps like the train door with lots of people. Perhaps open up the doors a tiny bit? idk. The third, though, is that it doesn't really feel like a Deathrun map - more a parkour course that slowly goes into lava. You're not running from near-death at all, like on one of Butamou's deathrun maps for example, more just... running before death comes? Tentacles has that feel too. You could try adding some high barriers perhaps to sort of try to add this effect, but it might not look very nice. Unfortunately, this is just down to how the map's designed.

For now, I'm a bit "meh" about the map, so RoF staff's opinions on this would be helpful. Group pings are broken, but I would expect staff to be looking at this forum anyway.

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing I learned right away when I tried implementing barriers is that people will jump in them even if there are signs... in Melange there was a stage which people would literally try to jump into lava even though there was a sign in 2 blocks in front of you that said "Barrier here" considering they cannot see the hit boxes while in adventure mode. That and the fact people will try to take the shortest route even if its not possible. On the same stage in Melange, there was a lane that was simple jumps but the button at the end spawned them back at the beginning of the same stage... these people would then try that same lane again because it was the easiest.

I loved the map and the theme but I would have to agree with Sir on this, my first thought was to jump forward and see if it works rather then going left. Or trying jumps that seemed like they could work only to run into a barrier. You could always make it longer? like DR_Psy that way its more straight forward and maybe get rid of the barriers. Possibly a "just get to the end as fast as you can" type of thing with no clear path just obstacles.

Great concept, although the execution could've been better.
Will go with a 0 right now

Last edited:

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
When I first saw this map, I really liked the concept of it, being in a ruined subway and you see broken down trains and platform, also I did see you develop this map an helped out by abusing it as much as I can to break it! I think the barriers that sir / buta mentioned are a bit of a pain since not every player reads signs and they blindly walk past them time to time. but I think after a couple of goes the player will probably have learned the map.

One thing that concerns me is how the map floods. (And defo needs to be tested) since there is no real checkpoint in this map so the lava just slowly fills up the map and making it feel like a slow parkour race to the end. If the map really does flood too slow then players might get bored of it and probably won't end up picking it since it has no replay feel to it.

One thing I do suggest is perhaps expand into a tunnel with checkpoint but also with something different that a parkour! The choices are endless and I think it be a neat idea (and would increase the length of the map!)

Overall I think this map needs to be tested on rof to see how it plays out so I'm going with a +0.5

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
This map looks great. I love the theme, the idea and the general look of the map. It feels like it's set in an actual videogame, and not just a "THIS IS A DEATHRUN PARKOUR COURSE".-map. You almost don't notice the deathrun parts because it's so blended in with the environment. But therein lies the problem, too-- As Sirc said, if you need to start using signs to point the way you're doing it wrong.

I also think the map in general is too easy and short. The gameplay is rather lacking. In terms of gameplay, it just feels like generic deathrun with some makeup-- Tentacles in a new suit. As much as I like the look of this map, I don't think it's up to standards to be implemented into the server. I'd have to go with a -1.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I like the style of the map, it's simple and straightforward. The idea that it doesn't need any command blocks is nice as it may get confusing to even implement cmd blocks unless you have Butamou editing all Deathrun maps that require cmd blocks (which I wouldn't like to force him to do!)

The issue with the signage needed to direct players can be fixed with adding a bright block (diamond, gold, or redstone) so players can see it as a type of pathway.
The player pushing wouldn't be an issue once SirC implements it in the next RoF update.
To get rid of the too easy bit, we can just place timers along every other block and then shorten the round time.