Black Desert Online -|- Relive the monotonous grind of day-to-day life IN A VIDEO GAME

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
Black Desert is an upcoming MMORPG developed by Pearl Abyss and published by DAUM Communications that is scheduled for release in 2015.

It's a third-person, action-RPG that takes many features and inspirations from various different themepark and sandbox MMOs. Elements from EVE, World of Warcraft, TERA, Guild Wars 2, and RIFT are all evident, but combining them all together creates something else entirely.

~

The game is often compared to Archeage when it's placed into discussion about the style of gameplay and the experience itself, and an apt comparison would be:​
ArcheAge through and through is a themepark game in a sandbox mode. The first few levels are essentially questing and pretty damn boring. However it gets much better when the ability to do whatever you want kicks in and it loses the themepark "tutorial" (I don't consider the first few levels to even be representative of what the game is) and the world opens up. It basically the game most people want with everything from hybrid GW style builds, Runescape lifeskills/pk freedom, WoW tab target combat, and etc. It's fantastic in the freedom it gives you when the game actually opens up.

Now BDO is something different and I'm not talking about the combat either. It doesn't care about you like normal mmo games, you're not the point of the game here. You're just some scrub in a living world. Hell you don't even know how much damage your attacks do, what monsters are where, or wtf is even going on at night. You have to establish your own relationships with NPCs, grind your ass off for levels, and do quests that will teach you skills instead of randomly giving experience points. BDO is more about the world of the game than it is about the players in the game. It's also about the restrictions there are. For instance it's night time and you're out of a city/town, you're not gonna see shit unless you're near a light source. You walk into a new type of monster you never saw, you have no idea what its hp is or how much you're doing to it. BDO is a learn as you go game.

Source: some guy on reddit

Black Desert Online boasts an extensive character creation system, a beautiful world in terms of graphical fidelity, and a very lively and active world. Combat appears similar to Guild Wars 2, Vindictus, and TERA mixed all together, with an economy system very similar to EVE with local auction houses, trade routes, and more. You can do anything to make a living, from playing real estate, to being a modest cow milker guy, to catching wild horses; there's a lot to do in the game and not enough space to contain my excitement and hype.

Whenever this releases to NA/EU I'll also start up a guild just to centralize the community.

Overall I'm very excited for the game, and this post only skims over the very surface of what this game has to offer.

~

Assorted Media:

Trailer:

City Life:

Character Creation:

Questing:

Horse Taming:

Graphics Test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWv0ncHyW_o

Developer's site
Fansite