/Banned Idea

tommy

Reaction score
Hey there, this is a small addition if anything and its use is to make the /banned command more organize.

This can be achieved by putting each banned player into separate lists organized by either date banned or alphabetical order. If possible these should be able to be switched by /banned 1 abc or /banned 1 date
the 1 in the command is for the list so it can be shorter and not flood your chat. It would only should about 20 players give or take.

The date would be organized by earliest to the latest so /banned 1 date would show the first bunch of people banned while /banned # date would show people who were banned later in time.

This would be useful so players or staff could see multiple people who were banned at a time. Without the hassle of all the names rolling through at once.

You might think that any could just use /whois or /whowas but the only problem with that is if no one remembered the players name or spelling of the name.

Thanks everyone please leave any problems, suggestion or likes in a reply.

-Tommy

Reaction score
This is an amazing idea, but, there're some problems.
Regarding the time feature:
1) /banned is not a command itself, but is a shortcut for /viewranks banned, it'd be a bit hard to only add that feature to the banned rank.
2) The server doesn't store the DateTime of the ban. We'd have to use the last login date, which wouldn't be accurate(Players can be banned while offline). Without mentioning that some players were banned on early versions of the server and doesn't have information on the database at all.
3) Everything(almost) but the ranks, is stored on the database, even if we add this extra option to the command, we'd need to server to send multiple queries to the database to search for the data of each banned player.

Regarding the organization:
No problems here, also, it's already organized to show the most recent bans to the old ones since the ban command adds a player to the banned rank text file. So, /banned 1 would show the last banned player, then the one before, then...

Alternaive solution:
As @Operators know, we have the /baninfo command. Since its creation, when a player is banned, it will add the name of the banned player, the banning op, the warning level and the date to a text file on the server's folder.
I could add an extra option to this, so, you can search the banned players for a specific date. Since it's all stored on a single file, it won't lag as much as if we they were stored on the database.
Opinions?

tommy

Reaction score
Seems as if the time idea is a bit challenging but it would be a nice feature to have. I think that most players would enjoy it more if the server didn't lag so if that idea is passed then I would say store it in any way possible to reduce the lag.

For the three problems listed at the beginning it seems that they can be solved by your solution except the one regarding /viewrank banned. I don't know much (or anything) about coding so I would not be able to tell you if it would be easier to change the commands to just /banned and remove the /viewrank.

tommy

Reaction score
If you can get on wom, just use /banned then go to your wom logs and you can see every single person banned from there, it's a quicker way to see all the names.
That is true but it can still be easy to just do a command plus not everybody uses WoM.

• Agree
Reactions: Swate