Map Name: The Hive
Map Authors: Eggnog
Game Type: Zombie
Map Worldborder: Center: x:271 y:87 z:-111, Radius: 53
Download: Warp: TheHive
Round Time: 480 to 600
Preparation Time: 60
Spawn Locations: x: 301 y: 101 z: -77
Screenshots: http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/nogtrognjp/library/The Hive?sort=3&page=1 Let me know if the link doesn't work and I shall fix

[Kits]:
  • Leader Kit - Chieftan: Full leather armor, Iron sword with Smite I, Bow, 32 arrows, 5 steak, and 3 health pots
  • Hunter Kit - Hunter: Leather chest and legs, Stone sword, Bow, 20 arrows, 3 porkchop, Splash poison potion, Shovel
  • Surviror - Caver: Leather chest, Chainmail boot, Pickaxe with sharp I, 64 dirt, 6 bread
  • Juggernaut - Mercenary: Full Diamond, Diamond sword, Bow, 64 arrows, 12 steak, 3 health potions, 1 speed potion
[Block Restrictions]:
  • I would like both hunters and survivors only to have the ability to break dirt and place dirt
[Optional] Can use /loc: I don't think its particularly neccesary on this specific map. However if you feel it is... do whatever makes you feel right with your soul.
[Optional] Locate randomness: Same as above.
Random Note: I am horrendously bad at trying to balance kits and chests and while I took a go with the kits up above you will find in the map most of the chests are empty. I'm making the assumption that the AoD staff are more then capable of balancing chests far better then I. That goes for the kits to so do feel free to edit them as you so please. Lastly I had someone point out to me that the lighting within this map may be a problem. While I personally don't think it is too dark I am more then willing to add more lighting if any of you see fit. That being said the map is designed to be in the dark because frankly it looks a hell of a lot better in the dark, as that is how I built it.

Lastly if I've missed anything do be sure to let me know! ~ Yours truly, Eggnog

Last edited:

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
The atmosphere is brilliant on this map. It's really cool how you did the design. I just hope that camping wont be a big problem in this map for the rest I think most chest/kit balance issues can always be tuned on the server.

+1

• Thank You
Reactions: EggNog

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
Hi Eggnog, thanks for submitting this map!

To begin with the gameplay, it's a very big map with plenty of hideouts and much corridors. There are some small tunnels but not really camp-ish tunnels so I think and hope it will not be a problem during rounds. Further I noticed that there is an enchantmenttable and some anvils, I think those won't be a problem either since the stuff is not really overpowered but a regular iron sword could quickly become an iron sword sharp 1 (7.25 damage similar to an diamond sword) with an enchantment table and maybe even more if you combine that in an anvil.

Further on Creativity and Aesthetics I will give you a big A+. The theme, the look and the constructions perfectly match the name and I haven't found any big flaw in the map.

Emphasising this all:
a little bit concerned about the enchantmenttable and anvil but the creativity and aesthetics totally make it up. I am looking forward to see this in the server.
a very very big +1

• Thank You

tommy

Reaction score
Hello,

Okay so this may seem a bit whiny but if it is a problem for me, it is bound to be a problem for someone else. Basically, I think the map seems a bit too dark. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice design but gameplay wise it is a downside in my opinion. I have my monitor settings turned down because I noticed long hours on a computer is starting to hurt my eye sight. So obviously brightness on this map this isn't a problem for everyone but it would be great if you could add more lighting to the map. (it doesn't have to be completely bright just brighter)

Thanks

• Thank You

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
Hello,

Okay so this may seem a bit whiny but if it is a problem for me, it is bound to be a problem for someone else. Basically, I think the map seems a bit too dark. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice design but gameplay wise it is a downside in my opinion. I have my monitor settings turned down because I noticed long hours on a computer is starting to hurt my eye sight. So obviously brightness on this map this isn't a problem for everyone but it would be great if you could add more lighting to the map. (it doesn't have to be completely bright just brighter)

Thanks
Yeah as I said in the application someone had already pointed this out to me. I don't want to add too much more lighting because it will ruin the effect of the map in my opinion but, I definitely understand the concern. I'll look into adding some more ligjting where I can next chance I get! Thank you for the suggestion.

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the submission nog. Looking around the map, these are my feelings so far:
  • I like the general design of the map. It does seem a little small compared to some other maps, however due to its design and lighting, there are many places for survivors to hide and explore, so I think it will be fine.
  • There are a few areas where there is a narrow passage leading to a bigger area, which is notorious for camping. If bows are limited however, this will probably not be a huge issue.
  • It seems to be the majority of the chests are empty, and the chests which do contain items seem to be very split in the map. One chest in the map may have potions, the other food, the other weapons. Personally, I think a better spread of chests and items in them would be much better for the map.
Overall though, I do like the map. Take into consideration what I said, but also do what you think is best.

• Useful

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
Thanks for the submission nog. Looking around the map, these are my feelings so far:
  • I like the general design of the map. It does seem a little small compared to some other maps, however due to its design and lighting, there are many places for survivors to hide and explore, so I think it will be fine.
  • There are a few areas where there is a narrow passage leading to a bigger area, which is notorious for camping. If bows are limited however, this will probably not be a huge issue.
  • It seems to be the majority of the chests are empty, and the chests which do contain items seem to be very split in the map. One chest in the map may have potions, the other food, the other weapons. Personally, I think a better spread of chests and items in them would be much better for the map.
Overall though, I do like the map. Take into consideration what I said, but also do what you think is best.
Thanks for the reply! The feedback is very helpful.
You have a point with the narrow passages. I may consider adding multiple passages to each of the large rooms to help avoid this problem. As for the chests as I said in the application I feel I'm very bad at balancing chests and decided to let the AoD staff to chose what they would like to do with the chests if the map is added to the server I did fill a few but most are empty and as you can see no well balanced. im sure you guys have more experience at balancing kits and chests then me so I thought it might just be best to let the staff handle that upon implementation of the map if it is accepted.

SalientGorilla

The Brutal Create Dictator
Reaction score
I know all of NogTrog's maps are good. As per usual, this one is the same. I love the close quarter combat theme that has been accompanied by the really dull lighting. This map will definately get you on the edge of your seat and your heart pumping.

However, I do know some people will have difficulty with the brightness. Maybe you could strategically place a few, and I mean a few, normal torches just to brighten it up in certain areas to add difficulty for surivors to pass.

Apart from that, it seems like a fun map that'll make you pull some hairs out with tension. ;)

• Useful

tommy

Reaction score
Looks pretty good I like the theme and aesthetic and gameplay wise there doesn't seem to be any major flaws. Looking forward to seeing it!

+1

• Thank You

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
Ok just finished the last little tweeks on the map. I changed the lightning in almost all of the rooms in my opinion improving it a good deal. I set me settings to low brightness to test it out and it looks a lot better then it did when on low brightness. Along with that I fixed two entrances that I thought would likely be the biggest problems for camping. Sorry about the delay but its ready to go now!

Reactions: Mastersten

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Alright! Two final things before I'm completely happy.
  1. Is fall damage meant to be disabled? Because if not, when you spawn and drop down you can lose up to half your health just from the fall damage, before even engaging in combat. I think hunters especially may find this infuriating.
  2. You mention a splash potion of poison in the hunter kit, which one exactly? Poison 1 for 33 seconds?
Apart from that though, I think its all good!

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
Alright! Two final things before I'm completely happy.
  1. Is fall damage meant to be disabled? Because if not, when you spawn and drop down you can lose up to half your health just from the fall damage, before even engaging in combat. I think hunters especially may find this infuriating.
  2. You mention a splash potion of poison in the hunter kit, which one exactly? Poison 1 for 33 seconds?
Apart from that though, I think its all good!
I never really considered the fall damage part. Thats a good point I would say yeah turn fall damage off. And yes poison 1 for :33 seconds. Thanks!

Reactions: Mastersten

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Ok, added to the server!
I've added items to chests I could find as the majority of them were empty, but there are probably still empty chests in the map. Just let a member of staff know if you find one.
-Accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.