AOD Kits and Chests..

w.dubiyou.w

Reaction score
So not sure if anyone knows or not but I've been working on my first for AOD. As i make sure that the map itself if somewhat fair to both Humans and Hunters, I've been having difficulties with the chest lately. My main goal for the kits is to have the human kits start off with no food and have Hunters carry food. This will prevent Humans from hiding the whole entire game. However my problem is what type of kits and hidden chest i should give the humans. As much as i want to force the humans to actually look for better items to help them survive, I dont want there new items to be over powering to the hunters. Then at the same time if i give hunters stronger kits, newer players who join a minute in the game is simple prey. So i need ideas for kits and chests for humans and kits for hunters that will make the game equally matched. I know this is my first map and as much as i know it wont be perfect, I at least want it to be good.

TL;DR:I need ideas for kits and chests for humans and kits for hunters that will make the game equally matched

Also If you guys want screen shots of the map I can take a few for you guys.. Just letting you know now it isnt complete yet.

Reactions: RyanDodd

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Hmm, I see your problem, and many people have also faced this problem (if not all) with making a map. It's all about balance.
Chests:
I think in the chests you should have ideal items that can make it easier to survive, but like you say not too OP. I'd suggest (as long as they fit with the map):
  • Potions (weak ones such as health I)
  • Arrows
  • Bow
  • Maybe a few bits of food so the weaker players can get food without having to pvp
  • One or two ender pearls
  • Tools/armour that balance with the rest of the kits (for example if the kits all have leather armour including hunter kits, don't place diamond armour in the map. Perhaps place one or two bits of armour that are better than everyone else's but not too much better. This will give the survivor an advantage but not to big of one.)

Kits:
  • Seen as hunters can take slightly more damage than survivors, I'd advise you keep the kits for hunters/survivors near to the same but the survivors slightly better gear. For example if your hunters get wood swords and full leather armour, perhaps give survivors wood swords and iron leggings with leather cap, boots and tunic. However this all depends on the map and what style it has. If the map is fairly easy for survivors, then don't give them such an advantage, and possibly give them a disadvantage.
  • I suggest if you use an archer kit, think about the style of the map. If the map promotes shooting and it quite molded around archery, give them a lot of arrows.
  • Use your imagination; try to come up with imaginative kits. For example if your map is based around water use sharpness I lily-pads or something. xD
  • When you are creating the kits, just keep thinking: if I were to play this map with my friends and each of us got one of the kit types, would I be really disappointed with not getting a certain powerful kit or be overpowered/under-powered by one of my friends? If the answer is yes, adjust them! :)
  • Check out the other maps and their kits to get ideas! Obviously don't copy a maps kit out word for word, but I do advise you take a look at them (the ones that got accepted)! http://blocktopia.net/forum/forums/decided-pile.187/
But please do keep in mind that these are suggestions. If these don't fit in with your map, don't use them! xD However I wouldn't fret too much about getting the kits absolutely spot on. If there are some things that need adjusting, the staff will let you know! Don't lose sleep over it! :)
Best of luck with the map and I hope that I helped! If you have any questions feel free to ask!