AoD: Abyss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinessis

Reaction score
Submission for the MAKE-ME-A-COOL-MAP competition!

Name of map: Abyss

Author: Guinessis (Airkid with chest quality control, AngelWV with side wall inspections)

Size: 144 x 144

Map boundary: Entire boxel (Boxel_Guinessis). Desired spawn is marked by netherrack at -6, 41, -51. Center is marked by sponges at 7, 30,8.

Kits:
Survivors:
Condemned:
Bread x 1
Potion of Swiftness II x 1

Hunters:
Acolyte:
Stone Sword
Enderpearl x 2

Random or choose kits?: Only one kit per side, no choosing necessary.

Screenshots:

Our unlucky adventurers begin at the entrance to the abyss. The doors behind them are locked tight, and the only way left is straight down. (Spawn at -6, 41, -51 marked by netherrack).

Upon landing, the intrepid (and doomed) crew find themselves in a world suspended by chains from the massive stone roof over their heads.

They must quickly scramble to find safe locations. Inside the chests they may find additional food, enderpearls, swiftness potions, and enchanted boots that may save them if they take a tumble.

Notes: Parkour map! Ladders are placed on nearly all of the "ledges" so that players may grab hold if they miss a tricky jump and to simulate that Mirror's Edge feeling. The style is a definite departure from standard AoD maps, so hopefully it translates well from classic zombie.

There is a safe main walkway that loops around the map, and dead ends are kept to a minimum.

Build Time should be set to 1:00. Since the map is a no-build survivors should only need a minute to find a spot and spread out.

The map is UNBREAKABLE/UNBUILDABLE. Otherwise we'd have to deal with people breaking crucial paths etc.

Currently the survivors do not start with weapons, and there are no weapons available on the map. This makes the Acolytes immortal (aside from gravity). They'll have to run for it to survive and lose the Acolytes in the many courses and interweaving paths.

If it is an option set difficulty to Peaceful to avoid marauding creepers etc. The map is difficult enough without skeletons shooting the condemned off the walkways.

Finally, lighting glitches a bit during the day in the cave. Apply /shift startup night (I think this is the correct command, but I don't have permission) if possible.

Download Link: Located on BuildBox (Guinessis)

Numberplay

Reaction score
This looks good from the screenshot, but it will be crowded by mobs :/ I should go see it in the BuildBox.

Edit : OK i didn't read your post thoroughly, i guess if the map is set on peaceful this might be easier a bit. But it's all just jump course which i believe will make some players hate it.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
This looks good from the screenshot, but it will be crowded by mobs :/ I should go see it in the BuildBox.

Edit : OK i didn't read your post thoroughly, i guess if the map is set on peaceful this might be easier a bit. But it's all just jump course which i believe will make some players hate it.
THOUGHT THIS WAS MY MAP BECAUSE OF THE 'AOD:' ON THE NAME AND IT CONFUSED ME SO IGNORE THIS POST AND I AM NOW A RETARD.

• Haha
Reactions: Numberplay

Numberplay

Reaction score
My map is no-where near anything like a Jump course, the trees are at a high enough level to leave /loc no decent location, thus making almost every tree out there a hiding spot, not to mention Hunters get enderpearls that allows them to jump from Island to Island to check for Survivors, and almost every secret is extremely noticeable - There is a few good ones that are Jump courses but they are very easy to do!

All for all, criticism from everyone would be better than the map being denied, as I could then Improve the map.
Why are you replying on Guinessis's map?

Guinessis

Reaction score
I agree it's a risk but I wanted to try something new (and fun, for me anyway). It's not all jump courses - there are structures and central paths that connect all the major points of interest. The jump courses exist to provide short cuts and ways to lose pursuing Acolytes but they aren't entirely necessary. I've tested all of the courses extensively and as long as you don't try anything crazy they are not difficult with the ladder handholds in place.

Also there aren't any dead ends, so players cannot simply wait at the end of a difficult jump course. There is always another (albeit slower) way around.

Guinessis

Reaction score
Input file (as best I understand the format). Assumed that WorldSize was the radius (72) and that POTION.34 corresponds to Potion of Swiftness II which may be completely off. WorldTime should be set to night, but I'm not clear on the units. Let me know if anything is borked so I can fix it for the next time around.

Code:
MapName: Abyss
Author: Guinessis
BuildTime: 60
GameTime: 600
WorldTime: 13000
SpawnProtectTime: 5
WorldWeather: 0
Team0:
  SpawnType: 0
  SpawnLocation:
    ==: Vector
    x: -6.5
    y: 41.5
    z: -51.5
  ChooseKit: false
  OneKitPerRound: false
  KitResetTime: 5
  BoxChance: 0
Team1:
  SpawnType: 0
  SpawnLocation:
    x: -6.5
    y: 41.5
    z: -51.5
  ChooseKit: false
Centre:
  x: 7.5
  y: 55.0
  z: 8.5
WorldSize: 72
ResetInventory: true
CanUseLocate: true
SurvivorRestrictedPlaceAll: true
SurvivorRestrictedBreakAll: true
HunterRestrictedPlaceAll: true
HunterRestrictedBreakAll: true
MysteryBoxChance: 0
SurvivorRestrictedPlace:

SurvivorRestrictedBreakEx:

HunterRestrictedPlace:

HunterRestrictedBreak:

Kit:
  HunterLeader:
    Acolyte:
    - STONE_SWORD
    - BOW
    - ARROW|8
    - ENDERPEARL|2
  HunterStart:
    Acolyte:
    - STONE_SWORD
    - ENDERPEARL|2
  SurvivorStart:
    Condemned:
    - POTION.34|1
    - BREAD|1
Chest:
  HunterBox:
    Awesome:
  MysteryBox:
    Legendary:

T

TBDWFE1

I love the idea of a 'runner map'. It will add some unique gaming and i for one would love to play it. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.