Academic Tutoring

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Wow, that's really nice Wyrer. Glad we have someone great with english here. I'm only good at math/science/tech keep english and history away from me. lol :)

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Hoi,

Taking excursions math 112 and I was wondering on why in Sets are empty/null sets are assumed subsets of every set? Isn't the definition of a subset meaning a set containing elements of a larger set? So how is it that an empty/null set is a subset of any set?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Notme

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Hoi,

Taking excursions math 112 and I was wondering on why in Sets are empty/null sets are assumed subsets of every set? Isn't the definition of a subset meaning a set containing elements of a larger set? So how is it that an empty/null set is a subset of any set?
Ok so I got my answer and I'm going to answer it here just in case someone ever has the same problems/wants this to actually be answered. <.<

The reason ∅ is an applicable answer to all sets is because all problems of sets can have an empty/null set as an answer. The complete absence of elements.

Examples:

You have four police cars you can dispatch, a, b, c, and d.

You can send no cars. ∅​
You can send 1 car. {a}, {b}, {c}, {d}​
You can send 2 cars. {a,b}, {c,d}, {a,d}, {c,b}, {b,d}, {c,d}​
You can send 3 cars. {a,b,c}, {b,c,d} {a,b,d}, {a,c,d}​
You can send 4 cards. {a,b,c,d}​
You have a hamburger with three available condiments. Ketchup, mayo, and mustard. Combine in anyway you choose.

You can have no condiments. ∅​
You can have 1 condiments. {k}, {ma}, {mu}​
You can have 2 condiments. {k, ma}, {k, mu}, {ma, mu}​
You can have all the condiments you greedy fuck. {k, ma, mu}​

Thanks for the help guys. Dam u str8 babygurl have fun.

Sources: mathisfun, Wikipedia, Topics in Contemporary Mathematics

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Dang, old thread, (if people still want help then sure id be glad to.)

Anywho, Trap Wolf, that is correct. It's standard logic for sets, arrays, vectors etc.

You can have 'x' amount of subsets within the given values, but there's always the possibility that you're just lazy and just want to have a zero/null option as well.

Tip: This is very handy logic for anyone wanting to go into programming as well!

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Dang, old thread, (if people still want help then sure id be glad to.)

Anywho, Trap Wolf, that is correct. It's standard logic for sets, arrays, vectors etc.

You can have 'x' amount of subsets within the given values, but there's always the possibility that you're just lazy and just want to have a zero/null option as well.

Tip: This is very handy logic for anyone wanting to go into programming as well!
Oi m8 update the thread. Also I can teach Chinese Literature.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
If anyone still, pays attention to this thread, I wouldn't mind some tips on Trigonometry. I seem to get some parts right, but I'm never sure because something gets muddled and I have no idea.

Jeercrul

Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
If anyone still, pays attention to this thread, I wouldn't mind some tips on Trigonometry. I seem to get some parts right, but I'm never sure because something gets muddled and I have no idea.
Well how do I start. Once you get the hang of trigonometry and do sufficient practice, I'm pretty sure everything will be clear for you.

The first part of trigonometry is pretty straight-forward, just memorisation of the special angles and some of their properties. If you have trouble memorising them you can always use the internet to your advantage. This video is my favourite one, the accent is a little hard to understand but it's pretty good:

Then you have the second part of trigo. As you know one full circle is 360 deg, and you consider angles on a cartesian plane, with the x-axis and the y-axis. With the two axis you have four different areas, also know as quadrants. The positive angles (e.g. 240 deg, 120 deg etc) are measured in an ACW direction. Don't ask why, I have no clue either. And the negative angles are measured in a CW direction. So if you want to measure, take 120 deg for example, you have it lying in the second quadrant. Draw a diagonal line, and there you have the basic angle, which is 180deg - 120deg = 60deg. The basic angle is a simple form of angle for finding out any unknown value of a trigonometric equation. It is positive and acute in all cases.

So now, you want to find the trigonometric ratio of any angle in any quadrant. You divide the quadrants into ASTC, starting from an ACW direction, Quad 1 as A (which stands for All angles are positive), Quad 2 as Sin where all Sin angles will be positive there, Quad 3 as Tangent and Quad 4 as Cosine and all the positive angles shit. If you are curious as to why certain angles will be positive in certain quadrants, if you draw an unknown basic angle A in every single quadrant and find out the values of sin A, cos A, tan A in all four quads you will find that certain angles are positive in certain quads. Do that using the old-fashioned method of drawing a triangle with basic angle A and opp/hyp and stuff.

So let's say you are given sin A = -0.3782 for range 0<A<360. You find the basic angle first, which is sin[inverse](0.3782) = A, which you find out the basic angle for A. (Remember that basic angles are all positive, so when finding out the inverse you let the value be positive.) However, when you draw the the sin A graph, you will actually find that the number of solutions is actually infinite, which is why you have to find out the values of A within angles zero to 360. By drawing the astc diagram you find out that the values of sin A for which are negative do not lie in the quadrants that its values will be positive, which means that angle A lies in the 3rd and 4th quads. From then on you work it off to find the two values of A.

I didn't really delve too specifically into the details, but if you still have any enquiries, I'll be more than willing to help.

• Thank You
Reactions: TubaRiver and Jivvi

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Khanacademy and others are useful tools to learn material. However, their number 1 flaw. Is that if a student/learner has trouble with something. It's fairly difficult to get help to clear up confusion in that case.
(Which is why we have this thread!!)

@Jivvi do you have any specific examples you would like to go over? (laws of sine/cosine, unit conversion, identity manipulation, unit circle, etc.)

Grim's post is very helpful. I recommend you review it. However, the basis of what you NEED to take away from trig for higher leveled math courses are;

The standard trig identities, [i say standard because things like those half angle identities you will rarely ever use or see, due to new variations of doing the same thing in calculus]
unit circle, [learn it inside and out, just know as you go around, there are patterns to help you remember it!]
SOH-CAH-TOA,[learn this inside and out, and it helps with angle&degree finding, right triangle calculations (which are VERY important) and basic physical applications]

Again, those are what you mainly need to be able to take from Trig. But please, if you have any specific examples feel free to post! (and sorry im late! So much going on haha)

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Hello my babygurls.

So there's this weally cool website called https://www.futurelearn.com/ where you can sign up and take free online courses from the University of Leicester located in the UK. It's super cool because it has a lot of courses (depending on what's available yanno) that have academic or practical use. I'm currently taking my Forensic Science course atm and I plan on taking a Finance Mangement course in the future.

Dam u str8 babygurls.

Reactions: Jeercrul

Jeercrul

Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
Since this is bumped, I really really need help with the topics of Organic Science, particularly Alkanes, Alkenes, Alcohols and stuff. I generally know what is about, I have no difficulty with IUPAC naming, but the bonding is confusing. Stuff like "explain why alkenes can be dissolved in water", "chlorination" and "bromination" are really confusing, and my 50 year old naggy female chemistry teacher isn't helping at all since all she does is rant about additional knowledge rather than focusing on the basic details. A few tips or links to helpful websites would be greatly appreciated!

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
@TobeyMaguiresTears Great link! I myself am taking extra courses outside of college at https://www.coursera.org because again, it's free, you're not graded and the material is there for anyone to learn. Better than standard online tutorials, and you are being taught by actual professors from various Universities.

@Jeercrul Organic Science? Hah, i stopped at Intro Chem because i didn’t need anymore chemistry, nor did i even like the subject. lol however, I can explain chlorination since i have an ex-coworker who has a bachelors of biochemistry. She tried often to relate chemistry material to everyday applications at work, despite working at a technology company. lol

I'm sure you realize if you were to get a sample of water from lakes/rivers/oceans and analyze whats in it, you can find tons of microorganisms/bacteria. Some of which (though not all) can definitely be harmful to humans. The basic concept of chlorination is to "purify" water of the more harmful bacteria. For chlorination to occur, really, just add types of chlorine to water. Chlorine attacks the membranes of the bacteria and cause hiatus to cell respiration.

On links for additional help. I highly recommend;
Cliff notes: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/sciences/chemistry/organic-chemistry-i
Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/organic-chemistry

For additional help if need be, i can always ask my biochem friend for some help.
Sorry, i am unable to help further than this. I am more of an technology/math type of guy. lol

Also, please do not be afraid to bump this thread again. If people need help in Academics, then they need help. It provides education not only to those who need help, but for others who may be interested in the topic, and for others who already know it, to gain a bit of a refresher! :)

• Love
Reactions: Jeercrul