A world border

W

Wimali

This is a suggestion for when RoF gets updated to 1.8. I feel like some kind of world border should get added to all maps on RoF. Be it the actual world border or barriers. Here are the advantages of this:
  • People would be unable to fall of the edge and complain about dying by falling into the void. It rarely happens anymore but I'd say there's still the occasional void death.
  • No more "cheaty" houses: Some people build a 1x1 air block house right next to the wall. Because the air outside of the map still counts as air, this is a valid house and will get you cookies. This way, people are able to create a house using merely 5 or 6 blocks.
  • No more leaning over the edge to look at ores, or making bedrock walls. People used to look over the edge for a very long time for ores, but this as fixed by using bedrock walls under the edge-blocks. When using a world border, you wouldn't need to build a bedrock wall while people would still not be able to look for ores. This saves time and effort.
However, then you've still got to chose between the world border and barriers surrounding the map. Here are some important differences between the two:
  • When using barriers, the world edge isn't visible. This could be seen as an advantage (there is no visible difference between using barriers and using air, except that people can't go past the edge) but also as a disadvantage (people don't know where the edge are). For example, if you'd use a world border, people could create gigantic maps (I'm speaking 1000x1000 gigantic) but only have a small area actually be the map. The border would be very visible because of the world border. It would allow people to create more open worlds.
  • A world border would probably be easier to create than barriers, as you can just make them using a command. Barriers would need to be created using WorldEdit.
You could also make it mandatory for mapmakers to create a border for their maps. The only disadvantage that I see is the fact that you'd have to convert every single map, which would take an extremely long time. I'd be up to convert some of them if you want

EDIT: GODDAMNIT I POSTED THIS ON ROF AND APPARANTLY THEY ALREADY HAVE THIS PLANNED, WHAT A WASTE OF 20 MINUTES WRITING THIS. IGNORE THIS, OOPS.

• Haha
Reactions: Notme