[GAME OVER] Formula Mafia

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Except for some reason I'm being considering a locked-in lynch.

I can't argue against a predetermined tunnel. Basically I get put into a position where I have to self-prez on Moog for better or worse.
Mars, I know I'm getting meta when I mention this, and it's harsh, and I hate to ask, but---

Does this seriously always happen, or are you WIFOM?

If this happens all the time, why don't you find ways to counteract that, such as not appearing so vulnerable? I think people legit vote you, seeing you as the "weakest link"...

I don't want to lose you so soon, in such a negative way to go :/

• Haha
Reactions: Nottykitten

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
I want to contribute to this conversation by sharing my favorite moment of my mafia history, but I also think that this topic is off topic and irrelevant.
(My favorite mafia moment was my first game when I lynched Nottykitten instead of Duffie to win the game for town)
I still haven't forgiven you <3

Masquerade is also my favorite game. Being a lie detector role, being in love with both JK and Oog, the ezio thing, becoming an assassin together with Oog. And ofcourse our little inn of me you and Duffie making it all the way to the endgame. 10/10

Mooglie

The Local Cow
Reaction score
Except for some reason I'm being considering a locked-in lynch.

I can't argue against a predetermined tunnel. Basically I get put into a position where I have to self-prez on Moog for better or worse.
kinda rude tbh you could just push it towards nolynch instead

i don't see how hip removing his vote on me after Alisha specifically said that it influenced her to wanting to lynch me when it was just a joke is suspicious but hips responses to it have been suspicious but this exact thing happened when inf was overanalyzing his stuff last game or whatever (this game ft bringing up every past game in existence) so who knows inb4 'oh look at Moog and hip defending eachother how suspicious!!'

On the topic of previous games my fav is bloody masquerade for the exact same reasons as notty + my first amazing fake claim of bellboy

I regret using the word aura I feel like it has potential still tho!!

Also I'm talking like this since I'm on phone I don't have a capitalization speech compulsion like Duffie!!1!1!!!

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Are you saying think Moog would be the best choice to lynch right now? If so, why?
Not what I said at all?

And here is why this push is actual bullshit: a core pillar of it is Inf's meta read which is objectively false, yet it's being taken without question. This is how my D0/D1 play has been, and if anything I've gotten more mild over time. I've never been a fan of the memes and that's just how I am as a player. I can't argue against an off-base meta read that's essentially fueled by player bias by the end of the day; I'm in a box where, in theory I now have to call out everyone who meme'd or wasn't being serious, or I have to call out no-one at all--which then means I have no unique thoughts. Notty and Skel joining an easy mislynch should be a red flag and it's being glossed over.

And then there's just instances like this where a post is completely misunderstood. I'm in a position where me arguing a no-lynch realistically won't work because of the way the voting pattern is currently moving, which forces me to self-preserve onto the next closest option, whether that option is actually worthwhile or not. I don't want to vote Moog, and I'd rather lose my slot than them lose theirs, but that's where I'm at.

Lynching on D0 is never a good idea unless there is a clear-as-day scumslip, and that's not the case. D0 is for RVS and grabbing info; 9/10 times D0 lynches blunder into a mislynch and it's an early setback. The only D0 lynch I remember was Doomed Cruise (I think?) where nitasu literally gave away their anti-town role.

Reactions: Boooo

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Mars, I know I'm getting meta when I mention this, and it's harsh, and I hate to ask, but---

Does this seriously always happen, or are you WIFOM?

If this happens all the time, why don't you find ways to counteract that, such as not appearing so vulnerable? I think people legit vote you, seeing you as the "weakest link"...

I don't want to lose you so soon, in such a negative way to go :/
How do I become argumentative, the "weakest link," and a quick mislynch? I seriously don't understand this; I've just being trying to move discussion, and then to argue my case. This sudden swing against me is so blatant and it's just being passed as OK.

Considering your entire play has been lockstep with Skel, this take is not surprising whatsoever.

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Inf's push is disingenuous, but realistically that lynch never happens D0. IMO that leaves narrowing the field down to non-contributors = Duffie, Skel, hk, Skooma. And that then assumes that it is equally realistic to be comfortable with any of those lynches, when without D1 flips there's nothing AI about any of that group that distinguishes one as scum over the other.

The closest option other than me in terms of current voting is Moog, which was motivated by Alisha; they've since moved on. I don't even know if any of the remaining votes on that slot are actually genuine, and the same question about comfort comes up re: moving on a lynch there.

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Lynching on D0 is never a good idea unless there is a clear-as-day scumslip, and that's not the case. D0 is for RVS and grabbing info; 9/10 times D0 lynches blunder into a mislynch and it's an early setback. The only D0 lynch I remember was Doomed Cruise (I think?) where nitasu literally gave away their anti-town role.
What will be different tomorrow that youll suddenly be able to lynch?

• Agree
Reactions: Infected_alien8_

hipmeow

Reaction score
To me it feels like mars has been in panic mode for a bit now.
im just gonna say to me this seems like a similar situation to what happend to me last time when inf was questioning me/pushing me in that other game and while i did say earlier that i dont really have any reads, infs whole big post about mars and voting him did feel off to me, maybe its just me seeing him push on someone again for idk something quite small. so i guess minor maf read on inf and minor town read of mars i suppose but im not confident voting either

• Wow
  • Agree
Reactions: Boooo and Duffie

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Running order
_________GAP TO LEADER
| 1. ALI -
| 2. STR 18
| 3. DUF 32
| 4. NOT 36
| 5. MOO 39
| 6. INF 40
| 7. GOO 42
| 8. HIP 43
| 9. MAR 45
|10. HKC 49
|11. TIM 49
|12. BOO 50
|13. SKO 53
|14. OKX 54
I am still trying to figure out how to read this.
When it says "GAP" it means the gap to the person directly ahead (it doesn't directly correlate to post counts)
When it says "GAP TO LEADER" it is the gap to the leader (again, doesn't directly correlate to post counts)
So you are really only 31 away!
Aaaah I still don't understand! How dare my activity be arbitrarily quantified!
Ive never been a fan of 50 pages day 0's, but we cant have it all.

To me it feels like mars has been in panic mode for a bit now.
I feel that he's perfectly justified to be in "panic mode," but I don't see it that way. I see it as someone shouting into the void about a hopeless situation begging anyone to listen and understand. I'm totally in Mars' corner on this one.
I feel like this is HK trying to subtly support pressure on Mars and that leads me to feel like HK + inf are a scum team.

Mooglie

The Local Cow
Reaction score
I feel that he's perfectly justified to be in "panic mode," but I don't see it that way. I see it as someone shouting into the void about a hopeless situation begging anyone to listen and understand. I'm totally in Mars' corner on this one.
ya i read it the same way (idk if im his corner this entire situation but i dont support lynching him today)

i dont think inf is scum y e t? but who knows

Mooglie

The Local Cow
Reaction score
ya i read it the same way (idk if im his corner this entire situation but i dont support lynching him today)
(i dont like support him because hes doing this rather than panicking since ive never been a fan of emotional appeals in mafia (this isnt really an emotional appeal but its kinda close) and think theyre more often scummy than towny but i just dont read it as panic either)

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
Inf's push is disingenuous, but realistically that lynch never happens D0. IMO that leaves narrowing the field down to non-contributors = Duffie, Skel, hk, Skooma. And that then assumes that it is equally realistic to be comfortable with any of those lynches, when without D1 flips there's nothing AI about any of that group that distinguishes one as scum over the other.

The closest option other than me in terms of current voting is Moog, which was motivated by Alisha; they've since moved on. I don't even know if any of the remaining votes on that slot are actually genuine, and the same question about comfort comes up re: moving on a lynch there.
>IMO that leaves narrowing the field down to non-contributors = Duffie, Skel, hk, Skooma.

Oh, so I haven't been contributing to a Day Zero? ?

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
If I was in panic mode, I would have self-prez voted on Moog or pushed an NL out of the gate. I'm not going to deny I'm frustrated since my lynch is being regarded as a certainty when there's no reason for it to be. There are certain charges (i.e. being argumentative) that don't bear fruit considering I have to argue for myself. I'm not going to roll over and accept a sketchy wagon.

>IMO that leaves narrowing the field down to non-contributors = Duffie, Skel, hk, Skooma.

Oh, so I haven't been contributing to a Day Zero? ?
Example: cherry-picking.

Context of the post was that no lynch is comfortable here despite me not liking memes. There's nothing separating the scum memers from town memers, so it's currently pointless. But yeah, I stand by not liking nom-participation, be it early or late game, especially when serious discussion is occurring.

First five or even ten pages of memes happens, but I don't see a good reason for it to continue if voting is becoming contentious.

Reactions: Boooo

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
Example: cherry-picking.

Context of the post was that no lynch is comfortable here despite me not liking memes. There's nothing separating the scum memers from town memers, so it's currently pointless. But yeah, I stand by not liking nom-participation, be it early or late game, especially when serious discussion is occurring.

First five or even ten pages of memes happens, but I don't see a good reason for it to continue if voting is becoming contentious.
I don't usually find Day Zero voting to be harmful, until it starts hitting past 5 votes with mine included, or 4 without me included.

With literally nearly zero basis on Day Zero, most lynches are Meme Lynches, the day it is only viable to do so. The only other reasons would be based on conjecture surrounding small talk or so-called "arguments," over finger pointing that is baseless and likely for fun, to start up a riot in people who either feel vulnerable or guilty.

How do I become argumentative, the "weakest link," and a quick mislynch? I seriously don't understand this; I've just being trying to move discussion, and then to argue my case. This sudden swing against me is so blatant and it's just being passed as OK.

Considering your entire play has been lockstep with Skel, this take is not surprising whatsoever.
You are the only one here who is ovetreacting, thusly the most fun or most likely to point at.

Now, you do have 4 votes now, without me, which is why this has become more serious. Some people should be backing off now, as to not impose on literal offense.

Stranger from Myst Island

Mafia Host
Reaction score
And here is why this push is actual bullshit: a core pillar of it is Inf's meta read which is objectively false, yet it's being taken without question. This is how my D0/D1 play has been, and if anything I've gotten more mild over time. I've never been a fan of the memes and that's just how I am as a player. I can't argue against an off-base meta read that's essentially fueled by player bias by the end of the day; I'm in a box where, in theory I now have to call out everyone who meme'd or wasn't being serious, or I have to call out no-one at all--which then means I have no unique thoughts. Notty and Skel joining an easy mislynch should be a red flag and it's being glossed over.
The thing is, the argument against you isn't just that you don't like memes. The argument against you (at least from my perspective) is you're making fluff posts like "day zero is vapid and pointless" to make it look like you're actually contributing instead of at least throwing out some reads/vibes or asking questions to try and better understand the setup. Legit, if you don't know whether someone's vote was a meme or not, try asking them? At least that's more productive than just making posts writing off day zero for no reason.
Additionally, while I don't have a very good profile on you as a player, I'm seeing you acting very differently from last game - particularly how you appear to have different expectations of others and dont appear to be approaching your arguments from a logical standpoint.

And then there's just instances like this where a post is completely misunderstood. I'm in a position where me arguing a no-lynch realistically won't work because of the way the voting pattern is currently moving, which forces me to self-preserve onto the next closest option, whether that option is actually worthwhile or not. I don't want to vote Moog, and I'd rather lose my slot than them lose theirs, but that's where I'm at.
So basically you're admitting that you would push onto another "easy" lynch regardless of whether that lynch serves town's interests or not to save your own ass? And you believe that is something a townie would do?

• Thank You
Reactions: Duffie

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
The thing is, the argument against you isn't just that you don't like memes. The argument against you (at least from my perspective) is you're making fluff posts like "day zero is vapid and pointless" to make it look like you're actually contributing instead of at least throwing out some reads/vibes or asking questions to try and better understand the setup. Legit, if you don't know whether someone's vote was a meme or not, try asking them? At least that's more productive than just making posts writing off day zero for no reason.
Additionally, while I don't have a very good profile on you as a player, I'm seeing you acting very differently from last game - particularly how you appear to have different expectations of others and dont appear to be approaching your arguments from a logical standpoint.
I did ask questions and point things out earlier, but I have since been busy arguing for myself; you either didn't see this or chose to ignore it. I haven't been able to move discussion because this is where I've been put. The vapid/pointless comment was one post out of all of my other content. I've provided what logic I can so I don't see what is missing here.

So basically you're admitting that you would push onto another "easy" lynch regardless of whether that lynch serves town's interests or not to save your own ass? And you believe that is something a townie would do?
That's exactly the opposite of what I said; I said I don't want to self-prez on Moog, and being pushed to this lynch here makes that appear as the only option. Scum want either of us dead, and depending on how voting proceeds, both are forced to accept a mislynch either way.