Local Prejudice

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Lately, there's been a relatively large number of people "coming out" as bi, trans, homosexual, etc.
In many (usually irl) communities, there's a traditional bias against these things, hence the hiding.
How's the local bias (whether supportive or contemptual) around your area?
I don't live near many people, but I believe my area tries to put up a front of acceptance, though behind closed doors the facade is dropped.

Reactions: Jayfeather

SirCiph

Reaction score
Southerner here, it's usually somewhere between "they all should die" and "don't see a problem with them". Though I'm getting most of this from school, most actual locals (not people living on the base nearby) would probably lean towards a more negative stance. Funnily enough though, it seems more and more locals are coming out, so I don't know how long that stance will last.

• Agree
Reactions: Hunter

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Washington, or at least where I live near Seattle, it's pretty liberal. We do have a fair share of conservatives, but most of them are forced to shut up and the worst thing they'll say is "I don't hate gays I just don't want them around me." Any actual hatred toward LGBT that's evident in somewhere public would be met by a lot of opposition.

You can tell they secretly yearn to be openly homophobic though. "How come liberals can say their opinion freely but when I say something conservative everyone attacks me?"

Reactions: Jayfeather

Amorix

Reaction score
If you come out as gay around here, you'll get verbal abuse, but at least it'll never get much farther than that.
Not as bad as other places, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Y

YouWould

I live in Minnesota where nobody gives a fuck
like you could literally say "im gay" to a random person and you might get a few looks since yes we do have hard Christians here but you'd also get some "cool man" and "nice".

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Having practically been raised by the gay community I have nothing but love and support for LGBT groups or individuals.
However, the area I live in now...I don't know how to explain it. They're lovely people but they act way too enthusiastic about gay couples. What I mean by that is, they have this fantasy gay expectation of someone sassy, stylish and ends their sentences with "Mmm, gurrrl".

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
New Zealand is very liberal/secular (we don't use terms like liberal and conservative very much here) and therefore homosexuality isn't really frowned upon. Gay marriage is legal and pretty much every school (even some Catholic schools) have gay/straight groups, my high school's had a group since 1966 when my DAD went there.

EDIT: He didn't go in 1966 he went in the 70's lol he's not that old.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh and we have a transgender MP in our government, so...that pretty much answers it.

TRIPLE EDIT:
This was a speech given in New Zealand parliament when they were bringing in the Marriage Amendment Bill, the MP who gave it has since been invited to appear on Ellen, lol.

QUADRUPLE EDIT:
Oh lovely the video embedding is so much cleaner on this new forum theme :D

Last edited:

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
New Zealand is very liberal/secular (we don't use terms like liberal and conservative very much here) and therefore homosexuality isn't really frowned upon. Gay marriage is legal and pretty much every school (even some Catholic schools) have gay/straight groups, my high school's had a group since 1966 when my DAD went there.

EDIT: He didn't go in 1966 he went in the 70's lol he's not that old.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh and we have a transgender MP in our government, so...that pretty much answers it.

TRIPLE EDIT:
This was a speech given in New Zealand parliament when they were bringing in the Marriage Amendment Bill, the MP who gave it has since been invited to appear on Ellen, lol.

QUADRUPLE EDIT:
Oh lovely the video embedding is so much cleaner on this new forum theme :D
I remember that. Love it.

• Old
Reactions: Iguana

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I live in Minnesota where nobody gives a fuck
like you could literally say "im gay" to a random person and you might get a few looks since yes we do have hard Christians here but you'd also get some "cool man" and "nice".
What? Nobody would say "do I know ya?" in a stereotypical Minnesotan accent?

Where I live I haven't really noticed anything about it at all. I have a friend who is bi, and he has a lot of friends and people generally like him so I assume that's a good sign.

Reactions: 1 person

std1997

Stitch
Donor
Reaction score
Used to live in Seattle and as Defiant said everyone was really liberal about everything up there and the conservatives weren't really at all conservative or they got immediately shutdown, but now I live in Missouri and my area is super homophobe.

Actually, a couple gay kids got beaten up recently. I dunno how it happened or the circumstances behind it but they supposedly got the living snot beaten out of them for being gay.

tl;dr missouri blows (for me anyways)

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm so proud of you Australia!

[Australia has been referred to by publications as one of the most gay friendly countries in the world, with recent polls indicating that a majority of Australians support same-sex marriage.[sup][11][/sup] A 2013 poll conducted by Pew Research indicated that 79% of Australians viewed that homosexuality should be accepted by society, making it the fifth most supportive country in the world behind Czech Republic, Canada, Germany and Spain, which ranked first.[sup][12][/sup][sup][13][/sup] ]

Reactions: Jivvi and 77thShad

AotsFTW

Reaction score
Ohio's one of the states that chose to uphold the marriage ban, where nearly 30 other states had started allowing gay marriage. I'd say a lot of my state's people are homophobic, but it's not in a violent way. You get the typical suburbanites who 'don't want it to influence their kids' and think it's a choice.

They're also transphobic as hell, but that's a different topic altogether
Being from a different part of Ohio than Bib, it's still the exact same as what he described. I think a lot of it has to do w/ religion. Where I live there's probably 5 Catholic schools (where I've gone) and churches within 10 miles, so if you were gay or trans or whatever you'd be alienated p much.

But then again I live here:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Undefined User 7

Sploorky

Reaction score
Pretty cool where I live, but depends on where you go in Florida. It swings from liberal to Conservative really quickly. Most of the younger generation is fine with LGBT rights, but you'll always have certain old people backing anti-gay politicians.

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
In my own circles the tolerance towards the LGBT community is above the average, I suppose. They're either friendly/supportive or pretty neutral in a not-my-business-what-a-man-likes kind of way. They certainly won't let someone's sexual orientation to get in the way of simply being friends or w/e. But that's in my own circles, that are already pretty tolerant compared to the rest of the population due to most of us being debaters and we debaters need a pretty open mind to always understand both sides of the topic. Plus most of the senior debaters here in Estonia are pretty much political correctness incarnate, so even if they did have something to say, it's not like they could.

For the rest of Estonia, things aren't so pretty, unfortunately. When the Civil Partnership Act (basically allowing gay marriage, just giving it a different name) came into question in our parliament in last fall, the public opinion was pretty much divided on the issue. About half of the people supported it and the other half was against it. It got pretty heated here and there, for example, I can certainly say that my father was one of those against it and we almost had a fight over it (luckily we both had enough common sense to avoid it this time). The bill passed narrowly and thus gay rights in Estonia had a major win, although now some conservatives are trying to get into the parliament, so they could "uphold family values". I'll give you three guesses to figure out what that means.

So I guess Estonians aren't as tolerant as they could be, but there are certainly those that really are supportive or at least don't hate the LGBT community, especially the younger people. The older people are still holding on to, well, old values which aren't quite what we feel is right.

I swear Hunter if this is supposed to be bait I'll kill you nah 8/10 for making me reply

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
For the rest of Estonia, things aren't so pretty, unfortunately. When the Civil Partnership Act (basically allowing gay marriage, just giving it a different name) came into question in our parliament in last fall, the public opinion was pretty much divided on the issue. About half of the people supported it and the other half was against it. It got pretty heated here and there, for example, I can certainly say that my father was one of those against it and we almost had a fight over it (luckily we both had enough common sense to avoid it this time). The bill passed narrowly and thus gay rights in Estonia had a major win, although now some conservatives are trying to get into the parliament, so they could "uphold family values". I'll give you three guesses to figure out what that means.

So I guess Estonians aren't as tolerant as they could be, but there are certainly those that really are supportive or at least don't hate the LGBT community, especially the younger people. The older people are still holding on to, well, old values which aren't quite what we feel is right.

I swear Hunter if this is supposed to be bait I'll kill you nah 8/10 for making me reply
They debated in parliament to take away the right or to create (acknowledge) it?

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
Being from a different part of Ohio than Bib, it's still the exact same as what he described. I think a lot of it has to do w/ religion. Where I live there's probably 5 Catholic schools (where I've gone) and churches within 10 miles, so if you were gay or trans or whatever you'd be alienated p much.

But then again I live here:
It's odd how religion changes depending on where you are - back when New Zealand was still in the process of bringing the Marriage Amendment Bill (aka gay marriage), one of the loudest and most outspoken members of the pro-gay stance was actually the head of a Christian religion, I can't remember which denomination it was, though.