Announcement regarding SMP and Full/Half-Full PVP

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
Dear Blocktopians,

let me start this by saying that we, as a community, always want every member to voice his / her opinion, and I think that our community guidelines (in their most basic form here http://blocktopia.net/forum/help/terms ) give each and every member enough free room to more or less do as he/she pleases. That's what I love about Blocktopia in comparison to many other online Communities.

Having said that, I do appreciate the fact that we have very diverse opinions concerning the amount of PVP on our e.g. new SMP server.

What I don't appreciate is the personal vendetta some people seem to have, to bring down any and every constructive thread with their passive-aggressive postings, making it seem like the world revolves around their opinion.

That's the good things about opinions - they are your opinion and not everybody elses.

Let me make it very clear:

Blocktopia caters to a very wide range of players with a very wide range of interests. In order to do so, our only chance is to compromise at certain points. This means, that the 'Flagship' server, which is always the 'Pure SMP' server, will never have an extreme edge that can drive a wedge into the playerbase.

The main SMP server has been and always will be as commercial as possible to cater to the highest amount of interests of all potential players.

And yes, that means, there will be PVP protection zones in an otherwise full PVP enabled world.

That's also the reason we do servers like Solitude, like Vanilla, like Werewolf, etc. - to give people something that is focused on one thing. That are servers that I and many others put many hours of work into to please a mostly small group of people. Which never actually thank us for that, but well, that's life.

Tl,dr: Suck it up, bitches, I don't want any more discussions about the state of PVP on Discordia!

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
and let the JtE players have smp for the next nine months.
Stop being so negative about it. At least be glad that there is PvP in populated areas at all. I'm sure that the Discordia staff will think of a compromise in the coming weeks for the problems some users seem to have.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
and let the JtE players have smp for the next nine months.
Stop being so negative about it. At least be glad that there is PvP in populated areas at all. I'm sure that the Discordia staff will think of a compromise in the coming weeks for the problems some users seem to have.
its not that hard to remove one feature. We agree with everything else just not on this ONE feature. (I said I would stop responding so...)

• Dislike
Reactions: Friendy

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
I'll just shut the fuck up and let the JtE players have smp for the next nine months.
OK, Hockey, I'm begging you man, just stop. It's ONE thing and it really cannot be such a big deal that you are acting as if we made the server PvE. Please, the people who have worked on this SMP just want everyone to love it and that INCLUDES the people who dislike PvP. One little thing won't ruin the full PvP on the server.

• Agree
Reactions: Undefined User 7

Super_Goku

ukoG_repuS
Reaction score
I'll kindly refer back to this post and let you enjoy your server.
Well I would have stopped posting earlier if I saw this thread. (Stupid ipod) I'll just shut the fuck up and let the JtE players have smp for the next nine months.
it might be for the best if you indeed shut up. Thank you.

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
What? I totally share the love during the event servers! Like during the Brotherhood versus Enclave battle in the older solitude! Wow that was awesome.
Thanks for making the post too! c:
I love you a little more now, and that is near impossible.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
What? I totally share the love during the event servers! Like during the Brotherhood versus Enclave battle in the older solitude! Wow that was awesome.
I killed 5 people on Vanilla 1.7 test SMP, 2 on JtE and 7 or so on Werewolf.
I like to spread love too :3

Edit: I did poll about PvP skills few months ago:
http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads...ussion-about-pvp-skills-in-our-servers.12239/
Here you can see, who has what skills. It isn't exact data, but it can serve its informative purpose.

Benrune

Reaction score
It's apart of Minecraft, why exclude a feature? Why complain, PvP brings people into a community YOU have to learn to help each other and sure drama "will" happen but if you handle it like a mature person it's all good. If you want to build in peace and build with no PvP might I suggest build box where you can have a peaceful environment to build to your hearts content, don't feel natural enough you could always create a random generated world and random ore placement in Buildbox and have the same effect as SMP just play out of creative mode. I think as a whole PvP makes things interesting it makes you think on your toes.
-"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." ~Charles Darwin

• Disagree
Reactions: Elita and Friendy

Faliara

Reaction score
I love you a little more now, and that is near impossible.
I love Araidian more now too, and I thought that was impossible and that it reached its limit (100%).

IT APPEARS LOVE FOR ARAIDIAN IS MORE INFINITE THAN WE THOUGHT IT IS.

ASDFGHJKL

• Agree
Reactions: Araidian and Notme

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
It's apart of Minecraft, why exclude a feature? Why complain, PvP brings people into a community YOU have to learn to help each other and sure drama "will" happen but if you handle it like a mature person it's all good. If you want to build in peace and build with no PvP might I suggest build box where you can have a peaceful environment to build to your hearts content, don't feel natural enough you could always create a random generated world and random ore placement in Buildbox and have the same effect as SMP just play out of creative mode. I think as a whole PvP makes things interesting it makes you think on your toes.
-"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." ~Charles Darwin
1. Because frankly, it's poorly done. There is very little actual game play to pvp in mc, and and very little skill to "master". I've said this on multiple occasions; if I feel like pvping, I play WoW. Much richer gameplay, much more skill involved (though gear can also serve as a barrier there too, but at least you don't lose your gear for losing a fight).
2. Game for kids. I can't imagine I have to tell you, despite old fogeys like me around, that this game is primarily played by teens. You know, that age group where people "mature"? I've seen enough situations where it wasn't "all good", and understandably the staff want to limit that type of situation.
3. If you want to pvp in peace and kill people without protections might I suggest AoD? And in case you don't see the fallacy there, the admins/asshat have already said that the server is meant to cater, to some degree, to both types of player.
4. Why is it that the pve lovers should take that advice and adapt to pvp, but the pvp players shouldn't take that advice and adapt to some pve protection? If you've made a good point, you've made one that doesn't subscribe to either side of the argument.

Beyond all this, the argument is already settled. I appreciate that you're asking questions, but I would suggest that if your intent is to affect change, then your questions would probably be better served in a pm to admins.