I fought the law, and...

Fatalis

Reaction score
Alright, semi-misleading title, I'm not much of a bad ass to fight the cops, but anyway.

I was thinking about buying a 12" trench knife to use as a bit of a memorabilia/display, and I was wondering if there were any Wisconsin laws prohibiting it. I read that the maximum blade length was 3", unless it is hunting season during which blades can be 6", but if I am only using it for display, is it illegal to have it in my possession?

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
Now my parents think I'm a demented serial killer because I wanted to buy the Trench Knife and a replica M1 Garand as memorabilia :/
Because I'm gonna go out on a killing spree with a knife.

My room is decorated with weapons (mostly knives and swords) and my parents don't care. :\

erik1979

Reaction score
I own various knives longer than 3".

Wisconsin does not have an official law stating that a blade must be of certain length. Some cities have limits as to what you can carry on your person, but if you are just using it as a display piece and you won't be carrying it around, you have nothing to worry about. You would only get punished if you were carrying around a large knife and gave signs that you intended to use it as a weapon.

Long story short, you ARE allowed to own a knife with a blade longer than 3". Many local police officers make up their own laws about knives. Do not carry this knife around, keep it in your house at all times, and you are home free.

EDIT: Adding on to this, if you intend to carry the knife around, make sure that you keep it out of sight, and IF you do decide to bring it somewhere and get caught with it by law enforcement, tell them you intend to use it for cutting apples and boxes, etc. If you say you have it for self defense, that means you intend to use it as a weapon meaning that you are carrying around a concealed weapon, and if you do not have permission for concealed carry (everyone in my family applied), you're S.O.L.

Reactions: Summer10

Fatalis

Reaction score
I doubt the "tool" excuse would work with a foot long knife with brass knuckles as a handle >.>

Either way, its only for show (and maybe if someone breaks into my home), so thanks.