Community Community News - 26 August 2016

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score

Community News - 26 August 2016
Community
Donations
We still rely on donations to help run the forum and servers. If you wish to help us out then that would be awesome!​
Vote Here!
http://escaperestart.com/forum/pages/VoteHere/
Wiki
We're still looking for people to help update our wiki. Can you help? http://escaperestart.com/forum/threads/bring-the-wiki-up-to-date.19680
Staff
SirComputer promoted to Head Advertiser (Head Admin)
Advertising
Following up on the "Looking for advertisers" thread, the advertising team has been decided and will in the beginning focus on planning and discussing. For now the team is:
- SirComputer
- Friendy
- Ogarci
- SalientGorilla
- Wimali

Name change
We are considering rebranding back to Blocktopia because it's a catchier and more recognizable name. Create and maybe Army of Darkness will also be looking for a new name, expect polls and opinion threads about it soon.

Create
Crayola. ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅((>
General
It's been a rough week and soon the head staff will decide which direction create is heading in, we kindly ask all staff and players to cooperate.
Staff
Friendy promoted to Controller on AoD
PinkUnicornz promoted to Trial Moderator!
Hexical_ passed his Moderator trial!
Swift_Siren to Moderator.
Plive warned for inactivity.

Rituals of Fire
We want your feedback!
We haven't done one of these since the wipe. We want to know your opinions on the server and how the whole wipe process went, so we can improve with the things you want us to improve on (instead of useless stuff no one actually wants) in the future! The poll is completely anonymous, so please answer honestly - we won't know it's you if you say the whole thing absolutely sucks. http://polr.me/wewantyouropinion
KotL Competition Winners
Last week we decided the winners of the KotL Competition! If you haven't already, find out who won at http://polr.me/andthewinneris. We are currently in the process of adding the new arenas in - you can play some of them on RoF already!
Updates
This week, it's all about the new KotL rewards. Read all about them in the RoF Changelog! http://polr.me/change
Refunds
Did you purchase the banner shop before the 18th this month? You might be entitled to a refund. http://escaperestart.com/forum/threads/rof-refund-thread-banner-shop.20023/
The Law
Please note that we will be enforcing the chat a bit more strictly for a while, just to see how it goes for now.

SMP???
Ogarci promoted to Server Admin

Army of Darkness
Bug fixes soon soon soon!
Map Competition! Click here for more information!
We're asking for feedback, if you spare a few minutes please fill out this form!
Staff
Unusual_Dood promoted to Trial Moderator!

TTT
Aika has resigned, please thank her for her contribution!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Name change
We are considering rebranding back to Blocktopia because it's a catchier and more recognizable name. Create and maybe Army of Darkness will also be looking for a new name, expect polls and opinion threads about it soon.
HahahahhahAHAHAHAHAHAHHA WE MIGHT WIN IN THE END FOLKS #StayBlocktopia

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Name change
I don't think it's the name of the Community or the names of the Servers that you guys should focus on - It's the content and quality of the servers that you should worry about because that's what players are here for. I know that I was an opponent of changing the Blocktopia name to begin with, but right now I think it would be a waste of time and effort especially if you're doing this for Nostalgia's sake - if you're trying to get the old playerbase back - they have long moved on.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
I don't think it's the name of the Community or the names of the Servers that you guys should focus on - It's the content and quality of the servers that you should worry about because that's what players are here for. I know that I was an opponent of changing the Blocktopia name to begin with, but right now I think it would be a waste of time and effort especially if you're doing this for Nostalgia's sake - if you're trying to get the old playerbase back - they have long moved on.
We're not so much doing it for nostalgia's sake as for advertising purposes. EscapeRestart and especially Create are hard to advertise, going back to Blocktopia and BuildBox would be better for this reason. At the moment we're only considering changing back to Blocktopia, however, BuildBox will likely be the name for Create again. We will think hard about all the pros and cons before we change the name EscapeRestart.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
EscapeRestart and especially Create are hard to advertise, going back to Blocktopia and BuildBox would be better for this reason.
EscapeRestart sounds like a gaming community whilst Blocktopia sounds like a minecraft community -- wherever which way you guys decide to go is up to the Community that we have right now.

There's the TTT server for a reason, too. I mean, lets look at it this way -- EscapeRestart TTT or Blocktopia TTT -- assuming that I know nothing about the Community Server (aside for the TTT part) and I was looking at the TTT server list -- I'd most likely go for EscapeRestart. If I were part of the TTT playerbase and wanted to kill terrorists and all that mess then I'd be more inclined to join EscapeRestart because the server name works well with the gamemode itself. The Blocktopia TTT name just looks like a "kiddy" server with loads of RDM.

BuildBox was a great name back then, but when staff decided to change the name to Create, it was done for a few reasons if I recall:
- EscapeRestart community name change
- Buildbox needed a refresh so the server was rebuilt by Nill
- Updated Rules
- Updated Building Requirements
- New plots world for first rank
- Rank reset for Builders
- And more (I think)

What I'm getting at here is that Create was an updated and refreshed Creative server -- and what I'm seeing right now is that you guys want to /just/ change the name of the Community and a Server just because it's hard to advertise? If you're not going to overhaul the community or the server then I don't think it's even necessary to change the name. Then again, if you decide that Create will be reset, then prepare for some backlash from players that cared about their ranks, cause that shit was not fun to deal with.

Hex

Keyboard & Tech Content Creator
Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
EscapeRestart sounds like a gaming community whilst Blocktopia sounds like a minecraft community -- wherever which way you guys decide to go is up to the Community that we have right now.

There's the TTT server for a reason, too. I mean, lets look at it this way -- EscapeRestart TTT or Blocktopia TTT -- assuming that I know nothing about the Community Server (aside for the TTT part) and I was looking at the TTT server list -- I'd most likely go for EscapeRestart. If I were part of the TTT playerbase and wanted to kill terrorists and all that mess then I'd be more inclined to join EscapeRestart because the server name works well with the gamemode itself. The Blocktopia TTT name just looks like a "kiddy" server with loads of RDM.

BuildBox was a great name back then, but when staff decided to change the name to Create, it was done for a few reasons if I recall:
- Updated Rules
- And more (I think)

What I'm getting at here is that Create was an updated and refreshed Creative server -- and what I'm seeing right now is that you guys want to /just/ change the name of the Community and a Server just because it's hard to advertise? If you're not going to overhaul the community or the server then I don't think it's even necessary to change the name. Then again, if you decide that Create will be reset, then prepare for some backlash from players that cared about their ranks, cause that shit was not fun to deal with.
About the Create name change. I think that Create, is a very bland and boring name. BuildBox was a much more appealing name, and seemed more thought out than "Create". Yes, Create was overhauled and had a lot of things changed, but just because you overhaul doesn't mean you NEED to change the name (though we already did that), and vice versa. Though Create is a good name, I just think BuildBox is a much better choice. I don't believe changing names is an attempt to get players back, or for Nostalgia, I think its an attempt to make the creative server more appealing. I think changing a name just for advertising is a great idea, and see no problem with it, as its literally a 10 minute fix.

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
We're not so much doing it for nostalgia's sake as for advertising purposes. EscapeRestart and especially Create are hard to advertise, going back to Blocktopia and BuildBox would be better for this reason. At the moment we're only considering changing back to Blocktopia, however, BuildBox will likely be the name for Create again. We will think hard about all the pros and cons before we change the name EscapeRestart.
It was already a hassle trying to switch to EscapeRestart and now Staff want to switch back to Blocktopia in under a year. EscapeRestart is no way difficult to advertise. It's a catchy name and is honestly one of the better names for a community. Also, when the main focus of the Overhaul in the first place was to in fact try to move our community away from Minecraft but instead being able to facilitate other games such as TTT which is the only non-Minecraft server we have and is honestly extremely successful even if the community is distant from the Minecraft sometimes. I don't think any TTT player would appreciate their server to be associated with such a childish sounding name and don't want to sound stupid. The name change has stuck and I doubt many would be in open arms to bring back Blocktopia.

The time for Blocktopia was gone, yes it served us great but in the time that we are in now; where other games are on the same level as Minecraft you want to be able to accept anyone. Blocktopia was used for our Minecraft servers at a time where we didn't have other game servers and was still not accepting the League community in our own community and other games where rare to see.

I don't understand why EscapeRestart would be a bad name. It encompasses all of the games which the community is interested and brings us a name which any player, be it a TTT player, a Minecraft player or even a League player can gladly be associated. Blocktopia on the other hand just makes us a Minecraft only community basically, a mistake which would most likely cost us players and also just makes us another Minecraft community which makes it MORE difficult to advertise because the abundance of such communities anyway.

Basically, I don't think Blocktopia will be a catchy name anymore. It's done with, its time to leave the past and try to look towards the future.

Second point, I do think Create may need a name change; but it does describe perfectly what the server does in a one word sentence which any player would understand. They would understand that they go on the server to not just build, but to Create anything they want. BuildBox on the other hand is vague and wouldn't describe the server properly in the way that it looks like you put together 2 words which makes it into a server which you could advertise more effectively than Create, but I don't think it would stick as well as Create.

You are welcome to think of a better name for Create, I understand that other servers may be using the same name for their own servers but I do discourage the Admins to decide to switch back to BuildBox.

About the Create name change. I think that Create, is a very bland and boring name. BuildBox was a much more appealing name, and seemed more thought out than "Create". Yes, Create was overhauled and had a lot of things changed, but just because you overhaul doesn't mean you NEED to change the name (though we already did that), and vice versa. Though Create is a good name, I just think BuildBox is a much better choice. I don't believe changing names is an attempt to get players back, or for Nostalgia, I think its an attempt to make the creative server more appealing. I think changing a name just for advertising is a great idea, and see no problem with it, as its literally a 10 minute fix.
I don't think Create is a bland or boring name. It describes what the server does on the tin. BuildBox isn't a appealing name at all, the only only reason why BuildBox could possibly be a appealing name is because of nostalgia and because it sounds more 'Minecrafty'. I don't want the server to switch back to such a boring and quite simply; a lazily thought out name for a server. You need something with a higher calibre, not something which sounds boring such as BuildBox. BuildBox doesn't make a creative server more appealing, it looks restrictive because you are confined in that box. Create means anything, you can create anything you want however you want; which is the unrealised beauty for such a name.

Think of a server name except for Create OR Buildbox. Create would be boring in the sense that it everyone COULD have the name but BuildBox looks childish and lazily thought of. That's all I am asking for the Staff.

Secondly, it DOESN'T take 10 minutes to fix a name. If you are talking about the server name, no because you WILL have people who disagree with staff. It needs to be consulted first with the Community itself which should be encouraged. Even if it takes a thread to suggest NEW names for Create, then go for it BUT it doesn't take 10 minutes to switch to a name, it needs to be considered. Yes, changing a name for advertising would be good, but yet would BuildBox be a suitable match for the server. I don't think so.

Now, look at EscapeRestart; it took months to think of name, to create a new logo, to consult everyone and finalise the name and to switch to that name. The same thing will happen to Create and the same thing will happen now with OUR community name.

- Updated Rules
- And more (I think)

Agreed with you 100%, EscapeRestart looks more appealing and is better suited to OUR community. It's honestly quite unnerving to see Staff rushing to switch names so quickly because it's hard to advertise; without any reason or logic to back that up. If you FEEL that its difficult to advertise, then it shows that you are being lazy (no offence).

Create is a new creative server, and is completely different to BuildBox so keep it that way. Don't wipe ranks because you WILL get a backlash from everyone including me. Psycho was there to see the drama which occured and I was there too, and it wasn't pretty at all,

I will conclude on this (tl;dr), keep names and in the worst case scenario change Create's name to something different OTHER than BuildBox. If you guys do change EscapeRestart, then I will not be happy at all and I will campaign to keep the name because I don't want this community to go back into a community which doesn't consider other games. It will be a huge mistake and I don't think its worth it for the extra clicks.

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
I don't think Create is a bland or boring name. It describes what the server does on the tin. BuildBox isn't a appealing name at all, the only only reason why BuildBox could possibly be a appealing name is because of nostalgia and because it sounds more 'Minecrafty'. I don't want the server to switch back to such a boring and quite simply; a lazily thought out name for a server. You need something with a higher calibre, not something which sounds boring such as BuildBox. BuildBox doesn't make a creative server more appealing, it looks restrictive because you are confined in that box. Create means anything, you can create anything you want however you want; which is the unrealised beauty for such a name.

Think of a server name except for Create OR Buildbox. Create would be boring in the sense that it everyone COULD have the name but BuildBox looks childish and lazily thought of. That's all I am asking for the Staff.

Secondly, it DOESN'T take 10 minutes to fix a name. If you are talking about the server name, no because you WILL have people who disagree with staff. It needs to be consulted first with the Community itself which should be encouraged. Even if it takes a thread to suggest NEW names for Create, then go for it BUT it doesn't take 10 minutes to switch to a name, it needs to be considered. Yes, changing a name for advertising would be good, but yet would BuildBox be a suitable match for the server. I don't think so.

Now, look at EscapeRestart; it took months to think of name, to create a new logo, to consult everyone and finalise the name and to switch to that name. The same thing will happen to Create and the same thing will happen now with OUR community name.
Alright so I see where you are coming from. I do think you shouldn't compare a whole community name change to a small name change as this. Create DOES need a name change though, heres two reasons why:

Literally not one thing about our Creative server. Our name is inconvenient, and IMO sure it may embody the whole "creat whatever you want" just seems simple and boring. BuildBox was used because you could build anything you desire, and the old plots plugin was boxxy, it had some rhyme and reason to it. Create, sure shows you can create anything, and makes sense, but is just such a normal and non-unique name.

Reactions: Enderfive

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
It was already a hassle trying to switch to EscapeRestart and now Staff want to switch back to Blocktopia in under a year. EscapeRestart is no way difficult to advertise. It's a catchy name and is honestly one of the better names for a community. Also, when the main focus of the Overhaul in the first place was to in fact try to move our community away from Minecraft but instead being able to facilitate other games such as TTT which is the only non-Minecraft server we have and is honestly extremely successful even if the community is distant from the Minecraft sometimes. I don't think any TTT player would appreciate their server to be associated with such a childish sounding name and don't want to sound stupid. The name change has stuck and I doubt many would be in open arms to bring back Blocktopia.

The time for Blocktopia was gone, yes it served us great but in the time that we are in now; where other games are on the same level as Minecraft you want to be able to accept anyone. Blocktopia was used for our Minecraft servers at a time where we didn't have other game servers and was still not accepting the League community in our own community and other games where rare to see.

I don't understand why EscapeRestart would be a bad name. It encompasses all of the games which the community is interested and brings us a name which any player, be it a TTT player, a Minecraft player or even a League player can gladly be associated. Blocktopia on the other hand just makes us a Minecraft only community basically, a mistake which would most likely cost us players and also just makes us another Minecraft community which makes it MORE difficult to advertise because the abundance of such communities anyway.

Basically, I don't think Blocktopia will be a catchy name anymore. It's done with, its time to leave the past and try to look towards the future.

Second point, I do think Create may need a name change; but it does describe perfectly what the server does in a one word sentence which any player would understand. They would understand that they go on the server to not just build, but to Create anything they want. BuildBox on the other hand is vague and wouldn't describe the server properly in the way that it looks like you put together 2 words which makes it into a server which you could advertise more effectively than Create, but I don't think it would stick as well as Create.

You are welcome to think of a better name for Create, I understand that other servers may be using the same name for their own servers but I do discourage the Admins to decide to switch back to BuildBox.

Agreed with you 100%, EscapeRestart looks more appealing and is better suited to OUR community. It's honestly quite unnerving to see Staff rushing to switch names so quickly because it's hard to advertise; without any reason or logic to back that up. If you FEEL that its difficult to advertise, then it shows that you are being lazy (no offence).

Create is a new creative server, and is completely different to BuildBox so keep it that way. Don't wipe ranks because you WILL get a backlash from everyone including me. Psycho was there to see the drama which occured and I was there too, and it wasn't pretty at all,

I will conclude on this (tl;dr), keep names and in the worst case scenario change Create's name to something different OTHER than BuildBox. If you guys do change EscapeRestart, then I will not be happy at all and I will campaign to keep the name because I don't want this community to go back into a community which doesn't consider other games. It will be a huge mistake and I don't think its worth it for the extra clicks.
It'd be better off if something like this was moved to an actual thread rather than the community news! However I do have to disagree, we're a MC based community, we've branched out to ONE non-minecraft related game in almost 2 years, it's pretty safe to say that it clearly didn't work, and with the lack of funding is not possible, if someone wants to cough up the money then sure go for it, the admins would probably be more than happy to branch out, but the fact is it's the staff of the MC servers who seem to cough up the money to keep the servers running, so until then nothing much will change.

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
It'd be better off if something like this was moved to an actual thread rather than the community news! However I do have to disagree, we're a MC based community, we've branched out to ONE non-minecraft related game in almost 2 years, it's pretty safe to say that it clearly didn't work, and with the lack of funding is not possible, if someone wants to cough up the money then sure go for it, the admins would probably be more than happy to branch out, but the fact is it's the staff of the MC servers who seem to cough up the money to keep the servers running, so until then nothing much will change.
I have to disagree with you. You know why branching might have failed? Because we never even TRIED. If you want to start advertising and everything then logically, you should try to be as WIDE as possible. I'm not telling you how to do your job but you should consider this. TTT wasn't a failure and is perfectly acceptable for marketing.

No, I don't think EscapeRestart is a MC based community, we have more servers yes but consider this. TTT has been successful into bringing players into their server and onto the forums but our MC servers stay stagnant. The only server which is bringing in people other than TTT is RoF. And its already pretty slow.

Switch to BuildBox for the extra clicks is not appreciated at all, and I do not believe how you guys are even considering to change the name back after all that we did. No, its backwards and too narrow minded.

Alright so I see where you are coming from. I do think you shouldn't compare a whole community name change to a small name change as this. Create DOES need a name change though, heres two reasons why:

Literally not one thing about our Creative server. Our name is inconvenient, and IMO sure it may embody the whole "creat whatever you want" just seems simple and boring. BuildBox was used because you could build anything you desire, and the old plots plugin was boxxy, it had some rhyme and reason to it. Create, sure shows you can create anything, and makes sense, but is just such a normal and non-unique name.
It isn't simple and boring, and you can apply the same argument to BuildBox. It's simple and boring, with no thought into the name. I could go into the dictionary and pick out Make and Chamber and combine it into MakeChamber and it looks the same as BuildBox. By the way, those 2 words are synonyms.

Ofc it was boxxy, this is Minecraft we are talking about where everything is a cube which is a BOX. It's lazily thought of and is only satisfy-able because its nostalgic. To somebody, BuildBox could seem restrictive. You are restricted into a box with no freedom and all you do is build... It sounds so boring.

I think this is ideal solution:

EscapeRestart -> KEEP
RoF -> KEEP
Create -> CHANGE (maybe to Buildbox, maybe something new)
AoD -> MAYBE CHANGE
Change Create if it's needed, but NOT INTO BUILDBOX PLEASE.

tl;dr - Don't change Create into BUILDBOX and the argument of EscapeRestart should be replaced with Blocktopia because we are still a 'MC Focused' community is such a poor excuse. We spent so much time to replace the name and now you want to get rid of that. No way.

Have a TS meeting, and everyone is free to brainstorm and discuss it there.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score

Just to point out that your screenshot example can be used for RoF as well. Example - Player doesn't know about EscapeRestart, but remembers about an old lava survival gamemode in classic. Searches for "Lava Survival Minecraft" - gets this:

The three videos up there aren't related to RoF but to other lava survival servers.
The two PMC links below point to the current EscRes server page.

When someone does know about the Rituals of Fire name and searches for "Rituals of Fire Minecraft", they do get redirected to videos that Youtubers created and that's quite lucky for the server to have. Thing here is that RoF was lucky enough to have free advertising when someone "popular" went to the server and loads of their subscribers saw it.

What it comes down to is Advertising itself and creating more content that shows off each server's gameplay. If the new advertisers are able to create content and post it on Youtube or stream on Twitch and promoting the server through other sites, then that would hopefully make this community popular.

Come to think of it - if you were looking for a creative server to join - wouldn't you look up "creative minecraft server" or "popular creative minecraft servers"? It's not like a player will know the exact name of the server if they haven't been to it before.

=====
Money wasn't the only thing that we had to contend with when I helped Admin. It was a matter of who was going to be able to manage the alternative gaming servers and whether or not such servers would work well with the server specs that we had. At that time, we were busy with maintaining the current servers and bringing them back up to speed, that putting out a new, non-minecraft server, was at the end of the queue. Plus, it's seemed much easier to create a Minecraft server than a different gaming one. I'm sure that if tnmjimbob or anyone else knowledgeable in creating a different server were able to maintain it, then of course there would be another server -- though all that is down to the current staff right now.

=====

Trying to pick up on the logic that the staff are giving here about reverting back to the Blocktopia and Buildbox names -- If you guys say that the Create name doesn't resonate with our creative server, then could you apply that logic apply to Rituals of Fire too? If you took away the hits on Youtube and Minecraft when you search for it, would you think that the Rituals of Fire name was a lava survival server at all? Then again, maybe Rituals of Fire could be a religious cult or a heavy metal band.

Also, not including the complaints made during the beginning when we changed to EscapeRestart and Create, but where there actually any recent complaints, made by players, about the name changes at all? Or are the staff doing this just because it's hard to advertise with what we have already?

Reaction score
Im sure the whole DO WHAT I SAY OR I WILL COMPLAIN will go over so well please do it because i need a laugh.also if you could stop being a pretentious sycophant that whines when he doesn't get his way that will be so great

Last edited:

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
there's some ridiculous emotion-fueled drama brewing over a non-issue?

i want the fuck in on this

However I do have to disagree, we're a MC based community, we've branched out to ONE non-minecraft related game in almost 2 years, it's pretty safe to say that it clearly didn't work, and with the lack of funding is not possible
oh, yeah, i mean, it's not like ttt provides literally all the new players that we get

wait

i just looked at the introductions section and i have to admit i was wrong

it literally does provide all the new players

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
there's some ridiculous emotion-fueled drama brewing over a non-issue?

i want the fuck in on this

oh, yeah, i mean, it's not like ttt provides literally all the new players that we get

wait

i just looked at the introductions section and i have to admit i was wrong

it literally does provide all the new players
TTT Offers an incitive to go on the forums, Minecraft doesn't. How many of those new players in the forums actually posted much after that? Not many. TTT does give us a playerbase, but it's not the active one we are used to. + you can't say TTT pulls in all the players, as I see new players on Create about everyday.

JtTorso

Reaction score
TTT Offers an incitive to go on the forums, Minecraft doesn't. How many of those new players in the forums actually posted much after that? Not many. TTT does give us a playerbase, but it's not the active one we are used to. + you can't say TTT pulls in all the players, as I see new players on Create about everyday.
There are the same amount of new people being active on the forums, which is to say none, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

• Thank You
Reactions: les_morts_vivants

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
my point was that it's hardly fair to say that ttt has clearly failed, as from what i see, the opposite is true and it's one of, if not the most successful server of our last few years when we take a look at the post-overhaul time as a whole

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
There are the same amount of new people being active on the forums, which is to say none, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Soo what you are saying is before all of this we never got forum members too? Because I fondly remember the introduction always having new messages in it and actually seeing them stay for the most part almost 2 years ago. (sorry if i misunderstand)

Now what I see are posts that almost seem half assed, just to get their "free points" in TTT. They never stay on the forums, or if they do its for a couple of days and then they disappear. The top 3 posters in Introductions were last seen at the beginning of this month, around the time they posted those introductions.