Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
For those who are not aware, we have a wiki which can be found at:
http://escaperestart.com/wiki/Blocktopedia
I am unable to access it while logged into the forums, so if you have this issue, I would use another web browser / log out of the forums.

The wiki currently is very out of date, but once had good information about the community and servers. I am proposing that we update the wiki and start utilising it!

Why use the wiki?
Currently, our servers have the majority of details on the forums in their specific sections, and it takes a player a little while to find out the information they want. For example, if a player wants to know what blocks melt on what mood on RoF, connection info for TTT, or the details of the game modes for AoD, they would have to search through the forums for a specific thread which can be quite tiresome.

Using the wiki, we could link players there, and have everything presented so that it is easy to find and read, which is much better than trawling through the forums.

What would have to be done to bring the wiki up to date?
A lot. I believe SirComputer has already done some work to add some recent information, such as community news and a few details for RoF, but the majority of the wiki is very out of date. Due to this, as mentioned above, I think there should be a staff member who's primary job is to keep the wiki up to date with information. Ideally, a staff member from each server should also have this job to keep their specific server section up to date.
As far as I'm concerned the wiki does have a few back-end issues, but this hopefully should be easy to fix - tnmjimbob.

I am well aware that there is a lot of work to be done should this be accepted, but I think it would be worthwhile.

-Comp

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
I do like the idea of bringing the wiki back up to date - that's why I suggested it, so I will take charge of it if people want. If you wish to edit the wiki, PM me and I'll get you hooked up with the Editor rank on the wiki to do so. This could replace many sticky posts, and is a much more flexible way of providing you guys with information about our servers. If you cannot access the wiki whilst logged in, if you PM me I will also try to get it working again - this happens with name-changers.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Notme

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Well overhaul included wiki removal.

Looks like it is getting revived... but will people actually look here/update it?

I remember when it was more and more time between other people edits, and eventually it was only me updating staff rosters on wiki.
I kept updating it for month or so and then gave up, since nobody edited it. No one did any edit until overhaul and wiki removal couple months later.

If we are bringing it, then we should change its name, for example to "Escapedia" :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Comp

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Well overhaul included wiki removal.

Looks like it is getting revived... but will people actually look here/update it?

I remember when it was more and more time between other people edits, and eventually it was only me updating staff rosters on wiki.
I kept updating it for month or so and then gave up, since nobody edited it. No one did any edit until overhaul and wiki removal couple months later.

If we are bringing it, then we should change its name, for example to "Escapedia" :)
Well, the wiki should in the end get to a point where it does not need editing frequently - if that's the case, we've done our job. It is then for simply viewing and occasionally editing. Edits alone are not a gauge of wiki usage. Keep in mind people need to request the Editor rank to get access to editing, so the amount of users that can edit it isn't 'open' anyway.

Reactions: Notme
D

Deleted member 4601

A wiki will definitely take off, don't think we have a disagreement on that since that's just a whole lot better than having a million sticky threads and spreadsheets all over the place - If someone with access would fix the file uploading problem, that'll be doing the community a big favour, since while the wiki is certainly editable, creation of new pages and updating the wiki to include new information is pretty difficult without pictures to substantiate them.

It's somewhat messy at this point, since every server has a different portal format and different header - we could probably have one single unified header template with general categories including info, staff, ranks, maps, arranged in a neater, more intuitive way that doesn't involve a list.

There's a page for every single RoF map it seems, most of them short sentences/paragraphs, some of them without a picture - I'd be glad to write a full essay for 'em maps if I have the time, since there's plenty to write about - block composition, what resources are available, general statistics and history, map size, locations and secrets, pre-built shelters, loot, mobs, trivia. Either way, things will need to be standardised since the map thumbnails right now all seem to be in different sizes, which kinda looks weird and asymmetrical and not terribly pleasing.

Reactions: SirComputer

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
A wiki will definitely take off, don't think we have a disagreement on that since that's just a whole lot better than having a million sticky threads and spreadsheets all over the place - If someone with access would fix the file uploading problem, that'll be doing the community a big favour, since while the wiki is certainly editable, creation of new pages and updating the wiki to include new information is pretty difficult without pictures to substantiate them.

It's somewhat messy at this point, since every server has a different portal format and different header - we could probably have one single unified header template with general categories including info, staff, ranks, maps, arranged in a neater, more intuitive way that doesn't involve a list.

There's a page for every single RoF map it seems, most of them short sentences/paragraphs, some of them without a picture - I'd be glad to write a full essay for 'em maps if I have the time, since there's plenty to write about - block composition, what resources are available, general statistics and history, map size, locations and secrets, pre-built shelters, loot, mobs, trivia. Either way, things will need to be standardised since the map thumbnails right now all seem to be in different sizes, which kinda looks weird and asymmetrical and not terribly pleasing.
Well, if you're willing to go all out, then it's your choice. It'd be cool to see each map with it's own load of info though. The thumbnail problem can most likely be fixed with parameters on the image. As for the header, a unified style would be nice, as long as it fits with all of the pages. I think each wiki page should have some identity though. Finally, let's /blametnm for the file uploading problem. That's the easiest thing to do.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Is this a double post? Not really. idk.

File uploading is back (praise tnm)! See the To-Do List on the wiki navigation bar for things to do. Add stuff if you think it needs doing - just remember to sign off your stuff with ~~~~ so we know it's you - MediaWiki converts this into a name/time signature. Go go go!

Reactions: Deleted member 4601