XP/Mob grinders - Clarification

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Right, this has apparently slipped beneath my nose so i'm going to spend the week checking out areas/clamping down upon it - if you've used the system, please fess up and we'll do our best to compensate you for any enchanted items.

Any mob/xp grinder allowing you to kill them without directly fighting - e.g, taking damage, is considered illegal

Q:Why?
Two reasons, one is overpowered weapons - e.g, I just caught someone with a power V flame I bow (they weren't aware it's illegal so, i'm not overly angry) - The point is that, at matildas peak - we could produce 30-50 of these items per day, meaning that we could essentially onehit anyone we fought. It's a seriously unbalanced system that stifles pvp and makes it far less enjoyable for new players.

The other is spawnrates. If 20 mobs are spawning at location A, chances are only 5 maybe spawn at location B, and then 0 at location C - we all share the same amount of spawns, so if someone's 'hogging' all the spawns by having three active mobspawners, each with ten mobs in - everyone else gets less mobs and the server has to handle a little more lag.

If you have a mob spawner, and we catch it - and you have not fessed up/actively use it - we will consider a temporary albeit lengthy ban or item fine.

Thankyou.

• Informative
Reactions: Fatalis and torty

Inon

Roses are red, violets are blue
Donor
Reaction score
I did have 2 practically next to each other, I only ever used one at a time and killed them manually (torching the other one off) although they've both been destroyed by someone now. :(

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
A question that popped up before: Can the system damage the zombies before you fight them? E.G. Zombie falls 7 blocks before you finish it off.
@Defiant - No - for the first reason (making it too easy to get xp) - when the next minecraft update is released, and xp can be gained from mining, we'll revisit this rule and possibly edit it.

@Danni - yes, as long as you aren't protected other than armour/a weapon, (meaning no barriers between you and the enemy, etc.)

Inon - you could always report it to staff if you like and we'll check who removed them :3?

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
I feel like mod grinders/spawners should be fine, but then again, I'm not one to abuse the power of levels for PvP.

I just like the feeling of having overpowered gear for the safety and wellbeing of myself, in case of monsters and/or other players.
It's mostly because players are walking around with pretty much Godswords that kill anyone in 2 or 3 hits.

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
It's mostly because players are walking around with pretty much Godswords that kill anyone in 2 or 3 hits.
It is going to get worse in 1.3 :/ jeb made acquiring levels easier and max level for enchantment tables is 30 :/

The first 16 levels are linear, while level 17+ require more points per level to the maximum level of 30 (although one can still have more than 30 XP levels to spend).
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Experience will be easier, that brings the level up for everyone. Mob grinders make other players not have mobs to kill, that brings the level down for all but a few. Hence, the imbalance. I don't see the problem getting worse with the patch, if anything it may lessen.

Also, mal, I have 2 spots that I'd like to show you to make sure what I'm doing is legal, if ever I get on while you are. Or can I show any admin and/or op?

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
Can someone clarify, is having a dark room underground, just for the purpose of having a few extra mobs to kill, without barriers so they can hit you, legal?
As long as the mobs can hit you, it's fine. You can have 500 spawners and the mobs mauling you and it would still be legal as long as they can maul you.

• Informative
Reactions: Notme