Wimali's Operator Application

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
In-game username: Wimali

Time-zone: UTC+1

How much time will you be able to spend staffing the server each day? This varies so much from day to day and from week to week that I can’t give a one-size-fits-all answer. On Fridays not even an hour, during the holidays pretty much all day; on normal schooldays as an absolute minimum 2 hours—probably way more than that.

There are times when I’m not able to play for days straight because I am too busy with work and school, but those times are rare. I try to get on as much as I reasonably can. I won’t be nearly as active as I used to be back in, say, 2013—but I will not be “rarely active”, either.

What do you think the responsibilities of an operator are on this server? There are many responsibilities, both obvious and non-obvious. The most obvious responsibilities, in my mind, can be seen as two main tasks: Help players and entertain players. The former being most important: Fast restores, preventation of floods, griefs and other malicious actions and enforcement of the rules are essential. But providing entertainment is equally important: Socializing with players, keeping them happy and keeping them busy is something that needs to be done to keep the players from AFK’ing. Build contests, spleef arenas, parkour, quizzes—those are essential to maintain players’ interest. However, they shouldn’t be too common—oversaturation of events is no use to anybody.

What sets you apart from other applicants? My utmost and unquestioned, long-lasting dedication to RoF. I first joined the server near the end of 2012, and I haven’t stopped loving it ever since. It’s one of the only few things that I can say I truly love in life. Even after long periods of inactivity, I find myself longing for RoF. I always find myself returning to the server. Most importantly, I care about RoF itself more than its players or staff or community in general: I want new players to join the server, I want them to stay, I want RoF to grow and flourish—doesn’t matter who leads the server or who plays. This is especially handy because I’m able to ignore (internal) drama or other things like that: Above all, I want RoF to flourish, and not me or anyone else.

Of course, this doesn’t mean I don’t care about the community at all. In fact, I value it almost just as much. I want to help players more than most other things—Having fun is important, and entertaining players is also important, but as soon as a player has a problem or needs something, solving that is key and less important things need to be dropped immediately.

Another thing: I have been very active on RoF, both as a staff member and as a player, so I am able to look at the game from both perspectives. I know how most players feel and what they want—because I’ve been one myself for so long, and can compare to my previous tenure as staff.

I’ve submitted 19 maps, 40+ suggestions (including some that would later become an integral part of RoF, or get added years later). I’ve created 5+ threads to inform people of common bugs. I created a picture archive of the old lobby, updated the tips and tricks thread originally created by Sploorky, an info-thread on the corner glitch, the rituals of fire timeline, an informative thread about what you should do when you’ve been griefed, a thread offering tips to mapmakers, a thread explaining everything about ironman & supercookies, soon after those features got added, a list of commands, a list of (ex-)staff and perhaps most famously my list of what blocks melt on each mood. I have continued to update, maintain and overhaul this list ever since I created it soon after the creation of RoF. Most recently, I started a blog about RoF.

As you can see, I have always tried to contribute to the community by creating informative threads.

What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member? Two things. Number one is that I don’t really like talking to people (unless it’s planned, pre-written, prepared; an essay or, say, an application) or socializing in general. I wouldn’t go as far as saying that I’m socially awkward, but it’s not far from that, either. I sometimes don’t know what to do or say and/or accidentally insult someone or do something else socially stupid.
While I try my best to help, my intentions may come across in the wrong way ro I’m unable to convey my message clearly. I don’t like interacting with people for the most part, and will almost never engage in a conversation without someone unless they start first.

Still, this has been a long-lasting problem for me, and I think I have it under reasonable control. I have adapted myself to fix this, and am more social than I used to be. This was most certainly my greatest weakness the previous times that I staffed, and I have improved a lot in this aspect since then.

A more recent weakness I’ve noticed in myself is that I’ve grown increasingly toxic over the past two years or so. I feel like I am a lot less innocent than I was back then. I’m also trying to work on this—and I don’t think this weakness is big enough to be a real problem. Most importantly, this is almost 100% toxic language or jokes-- I still remain as helpful as I used to be.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with? No reason not to consult my peers. They have plenty of experience and should be able to help. However, if they are not available or the problem is too small to bother another staff member with, I will try my best to solve it in the manner that I find most appropriate. I would be as careful as possible, however.

What previous experience staffing on Escaperestart servers do you have? I have staffed on RoF twice before. I resigned the first time due to personal reasons and generally feeling like I was inadequate as an operator-- which was true, I abused my powers and generally didn’t do that good of a job. The second time, I resigned because of long-lasting internet issues which completely drained my motivation. I'm with a different internet provider now and that should never be a problem again. They say third time’s the charm, and I’m inclined to believe that.

References: Tamzies, Hoogilan, Refrigerated_Elements, Kevin_28 , midnightgirl24

Last edited:

midnightgirl24

You're gonna have a bad time.
Reaction score
In-game username: Wimali

Time-zone: UTC+1

How much time will you be able to spend staffing the server each day? This varies so much from day to day and from week to week that I can’t give a one-size-fits-all answer. On Fridays not even an hour, during the holidays pretty much all day; on normal schooldays as an absolute minimum 2 hours—probably way more than that.

There are times when I’m not able to play for days straight because I am too busy with work and school, but those times are rare. I try to get on as much as I reasonably can. I won’t be nearly as active as I used to be back in, say, 2013—but I will not be “rarely active”, either.

What do you think the responsibilities of an operator are on this server? There are many responsibilities, both obvious and non-obvious. The most obvious responsibilities, in my mind, can be seen as two main tasks: Help players and entertain players. The former being most important: Fast restores, preventation of floods, griefs and other malicious actions and enforcement of the rules are essential. But providing entertainment is equally important: Socializing with players, keeping them happy and keeping them busy is something that needs to be done to keep the players from AFK’ing. Build contests, spleef arenas, parkour, quizzes—those are essential to maintain players’ interest. However, they shouldn’t be too common—oversaturation of events is no use to anybody.

What sets you apart from other applicants? My utmost and unquestioned, long-lasting dedication to RoF. I first joined the server near the end of 2012, and I haven’t stopped loving it ever since. It’s one of the only few things that I can say I truly love in life. Even after long periods of inactivity, I find myself longing for RoF. I always find myself returning to the server. Most importantly, I care about RoF itself more than its players or staff or community in general: I want new players to join the server, I want them to stay, I want RoF to grow and flourish—doesn’t matter who leads the server or who plays. This is especially handy because I’m able to ignore (internal) drama or other things like that: Above all, I want RoF to flourish, and not me or anyone else.

Of course, this doesn’t mean I don’t care about the community at all. In fact, I value it almost just as much. I want to help players more than most other things—Having fun is important, and entertaining players is also important, but as soon as a player has a problem or needs something, solving that is key and less important things need to be dropped immediately.

Another thing: I have been very active on RoF, both as a staff member and as a player, so I am able to look at the game from both perspectives. I know how most players feel and what they want—because I’ve been one myself for so long, and can compare to my previous tenure as staff.

I’ve submitted 19 maps, 40+ suggestions (including some that would later become an integral part of RoF, or get added years later). I’ve created 5+ threads to inform people of common bugs. I created a picture archive of the old lobby, updated the tips and tricks thread originally created by Sploorky, an info-thread on the corner glitch, the rituals of fire timeline, an informative thread about what you should do when you’ve been griefed, a thread offering tips to mapmakers, a thread explaining everything about ironman & supercookies, soon after those features got added, a list of commands, a list of (ex-)staff and perhaps most famously my list of what blocks melt on each mood. I have continued to update, maintain and overhaul this list ever since I created it soon after the creation of RoF. Most recently, I started a blog about RoF.

As you can see, I have always tried to contribute to the community by creating informative threads.

What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member? Two things. Number one is that I don’t really like talking to people (unless it’s planned, pre-written, prepared; an essay or, say, an application) or socializing in general. I wouldn’t go as far as saying that I’m socially awkward, but it’s not far from that, either. I sometimes don’t know what to do or say and/or accidentally insult someone or do something else socially stupid.
While I try my best to help, my intentions may come across in the wrong way ro I’m unable to convey my message clearly. I don’t like interacting with people for the most part, and will almost never engage in a conversation without someone unless they start first.

Still, this has been a long-lasting problem for me, and I think I have it under reasonable control. I have adapted myself to fix this, and am more social than I used to be. This was most certainly my greatest weakness the previous times that I staffed, and I have improved a lot in this aspect since then.

A more recent weakness I’ve noticed in myself is that I’ve grown increasingly toxic over the past two years or so. I feel like I am a lot less innocent than I was back then. I’m also trying to work on this—and I don’t think this weakness is big enough to be a real problem. Most importantly, this is almost 100% toxic language or jokes-- I still remain as helpful as I used to be.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with? No reason not to consult my peers. They have plenty of experience and should be able to help. However, if they are not available or the problem is too small to bother another staff member with, I will try my best to solve it in the manner that I find most appropriate. I would be as careful as possible, however.

What previous experience staffing on Escaperestart servers do you have? I have staffed on RoF twice before. I resigned the first time due to personal reasons and generally feeling like I was inadequate as an operator-- which was true, I abused my powers and generally didn’t do that good of a job. The second time, I resigned because of long-lasting internet issues which completely drained my motivation. I'm with a different internet provider now and that should never be a problem again. They say third time’s the charm, and I’m inclined to believe that.

References: Tamzies, Hoogilan, Refrigerated_Elements, Kevin_28
Hey Wim. If I knew you were going to apply, I would've told you to add me on your Reference list. ;) (By all means, add me. I'd gladly reference you.)

Anyway, you are a great contributor to RoF and are very active. I always see you on when I get a chance to get on. You're very helpful when I'm on, and I believe you will be a great addition to our team. I don't feel the need to really make a long paragraph on the same stuff, so take a +1 from me :)

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Velzerat

Tamzies

Reaction score
Lets start of with that I had already asked you weeks prior why you weren't an Moderator any more. There isn't a person more capable at the moment then you. You were a great moderator back then and you will be one now. Your seriousness and commitment to ROF are something we need in the team.

The things you have made for ROF are being used by players everyday. Your what blocks melt on which mood is one of the to-go topics if you are new. This makes you the perfect candidate for the position. I would wish you good luck, but you aren't in need of any.

I wouldn't have referenced you if you weren't the best out there at the moment. +1 from your felow Dutch speaking idjit crew.

Veel succes daar beneden. :')

• Thank You

superhalo6

Reaction score
I can see that you have put a lot of effort into this application, you've shown that you have made various helpful guides over the years, and being admitting of your faults so, I'd have to say:

+1

• Thank You

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
There is really nothing else I can really add to what the other mods said, you're a all round great player who helps rof with guides and information. I'm surprised you haven't made a application sooner! ;^)

Huge +1 from me

• Thank You