Where did All the Players Go?

icheesy

Reaction score
Hey, I've played here back in April/May 2011 or 2010 when Blocktopia had a MyBB forum :)
Just came back for a visit, some may remember me.
But god, this community is still as damn close as before! However there's only like 15 players *total* on the Blocktopia servers... when there are ~55 players, online, active, are on the forums.

EDIIT
I am so amazed how people in this community are so high quality and expressive. Wow. No noob 'That was Cool!' 'Haha that was funny!' posts.
Ah, a strong community, but I'm still left here wondering why the server playerbase is so low.

Last edited:

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
so high quality and expressive
I'm still here so you're wrong

Yeah, Blocktopia right now is like a really wide pipe but the entrance is only a fraction the size of the pipe itself. It's nothing new, been happening for a while. Rituals of Fire is actually unusually low in your picture, as I've seen them in upwards of 20 people often in the last couple months. The others occasionally accomplish this, but not as much and never at the same time.

The Offline server is Infection, and in case you didn't know, that's Premium CZS. It got the green light a couple months and is down for updates right now.

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Ok so I wasn't clear.

It's Wednesday. The high times for population allowing the most optimal time for many players to be on can be prominent during Fridays and Saturdays ((highly recognized)). You've also not accounted that many are either starting school/in school/or just plain enjoying summer with various activities. We also have the steam summer sale which takes up many people's money and then time playing the brand new snazzy games they've bought. Taking a picture of a single day does not translate to "no one is playing Blocktopia's servers."

Also consider that "online" on the Forum and "active" on the Forum does not correlate either. Many just simply have the Forums open in another tab/window.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Well we are lower on players than is used to be, as now here is smaller Premium MC playerbase over 10000 servers. It was 5 million premium accounts back then. Now its 15 million.

In late 2011 there were 600 classic servers, and we had 3 of them, and there were like 30 million registered accounts.

Mid/Late 2011 - 3 Classic and 1/2 Premium servers.

Now - 6 Premium servers.

I came 17th June 2011 so I can see difference too.
Well most of this traffic was low quality noobs, that were like "thats cool" ang gone somewhere else.

Aaaannnd hi :)

Reactions: Naoh

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
Ok so I wasn't clear.

It's Wednesday. The high times for population allowing the most optimal time for many players to be on can be prominent during Fridays and Saturdays ((highly recognized)). You've also not accounted that many are either starting school/in school/or just plain enjoying summer with various activities. We also have the steam summer sale which takes up many people's money and then time playing the brand new snazzy games they've bought. Taking a picture of a single day does not translate to "no one is playing Blocktopia's servers."

Also consider that "online" on the Forum and "active" on the Forum does not correlate either. Many just simply have the Forums open in another tab/window.
And that those in the Southern Hemisphere are in the middle of their school year, too. (Although the two week holidays are starting in Australia next week and in New Zealand a week after that).

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
We lost a lot of players because of Classic phasing out and also the classic link got removed from the main site.
We seriously peaked a lot with Classic Zombie and Classic Lava.

Even after getting Lava and Zombie on Premium, it's not the same, as we can't exactly advertise for free on a program like World of Minecraft, or from the Minecraft site anymore... Those were the easy days, and now it's harder to find these nice servers. </3

How do we even get people to perchance us? ;o

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
We seriously peaked a lot with Classic Zombie and Classic Lava.

Even after getting Lava and Zombie on Premium, it's not the same, as we can't exactly advertise for free on a program like World of Minecraft, or from the Minecraft site anymore... Those were the easy days, and now it's harder to find these nice servers. </3

How do we even get people to perchance us? ;o
Well it was only 600 classic servers for 30000000 registered accounts...

• Agree
Reactions: Duffie

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
We lost a lot of players because of Classic phasing out and also the classic link got removed from the main site.
This.

If that wouldn't have happened, I wouldn't doubt that more people who play our classic servers would buy premium and try out the servers. It's kind of hard to find a good community like this in a haystack as opposed to just going through one of the few active and stable Lava/Zombie (and the unique TNT) servers in a list that's actually posted in Minecraft.net.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
And not to mention, people stuck to our servers, which is why it was always full. ;)
Well, I remember that they were filled with guest ranked people on LS in my mornings.

And in evenings servers was filled in 1/4 of guests 1/2 of regulars 1/4 with staff ;)

Also we have much lower amounts of demotions/promotions in recaps.

Here we stand in staff population:
There was harder and harder decline in staff after classic started to die in 2012.
I remember, that there were few guys, that wouldn't resign from staffing classic servers, but they eventually resigned due to server emptiness.

Here is clear trend of declining in average staff per server. Huge jumps and falls are related to server openings/shutdown.
That anomaly in 2011/2012 was merge of SMP/CMP staff into LoP staff. Then it suddenly fell after we got 2 premium servers and LoP was shutdown. It seems like staff didn't transfered.

Second small bump in late 2013 is fault of Bukkit - we had staff for DoD, but DoD itself came out few months later.
Dat 1.7
Also I counted Solitude - event server in it.

Chocfudgemud

Reaction score
Well I joined late after Classic so Ima kind of sad that I missed out on that aspect of blocktopia.

And Pixelmon server event is eating up all of the players that can be screwed downloading a mod for Bloktopias events.

Yesterday was the first day of school holidays for me :eek: