What It Takes to be a Moderator

Ragetastic96

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
So, you've been considering applying for Operator?

That's good. We admire your willingness to help. Rituals of Fire is a server that requires a lot of help from staff to keep it running smoothly.

But before you leave this thread in an anxious mood thinking, "Yea! I'm going to apply right now!," read the rest of this thread detailing what we look for in applicants and what is required of a staff member. Remember: Your actions as a player reflect on what we believe you would be like as a staff member.

Part 1: In-Game...

Activity
Before applying, you must have a minimum 48 hours total on the server, but in addition to that we recommend getting a substantial amount of time on weekly. If you're not active, staff won't notice you, and you'll have a much harder time collecting references. You can check your daily,weekly,monthly, and total time online with the command /ontime.

All Staff are required to make a 4 hour minimum weekly requirement of ontime. If you do not meet this requirement, you will be warned for inactivity during the Friday meeting. If this happens too many times, you risk demotion.

Personality
We all have different personalities, but there are certain traits we look for in potential operators. Friendliness, Willingness to help, Maturity, Outgoing, and an all-round good attitude. Now, i know that sounds like a lot, but don't be discouraged! We are all human, we all have flaws, and if you struggle with one of these that doesn't guarantee you will be denied. Some traits, like maturity, carry more weight than others . If you do struggle with a character flaw of any kind, it could be considered a humble thing to add that to your weaknesses in your application.

Staff are encouraged to try and show all of the above traits. Unfortunately, none of us are perfect; and our personalities differ, so don't set your expectations of yourself or fellow staff too high. At the same time, though, be wary of attitude adjustments. Don't allow yourself to become bitter if something doesn't go your way. Also, be willing to take criticism from the other staff. They should have your best interest at heart.

Part 2: The Process

Before being accepted/denied for this position, you will be judged by the head staff based off of two major things:
1.) RoF Staff opinions and observations of you.
2.) The quality of your application.

Observations and References
You will need atleast 1 reference before applying. Those references come from staff members who are in support of you applying and joining the staff team. In most cases, applying without a reference will lead to your application being automatically denied by a Controller+. Therefore, it is important that you are in good standing with the staff. Take into account all that was said in Part 1 of this thread. Those are the things Operator+ look for the most.

Remember: NEVER ask for a reference in public. If you do, you are putting said staff member on the spot and will likely not get it.

The Application
It is of utmost importance that you copy, paste, and fill out the correct format as detailed Here.
Failing to fill out the correct format is automatic denial, and may decrease your chances in the future for not being able to follow clear instructions.

Make sure you take time to answer each question carefully. Show that you are a capable writer. There is nothing wrong with looking back at other applications that were accepted as points of reference, but DO NOT copy parts of ANYBODY'S application. The staff will find out, and you will be denied. It shows laziness, and you will lose the trust of those who may have referenced you.

Part 3: The Job

Trial
Once you have been accepted, you will be put on trial indefinitely until the head staff see fit to make you full Op. This lasts, on average, 2-3 weeks. During trial, you will be trained to use the commands and items that come with being an Operator. You will be judged based off how you react to situations and your conduct. You will be taught what is considered command abusing and what is frowned upon.

Being a new operator can be stressful at times. We understand that while making the adjustment, your bound to mess up some how. And that's OK! The key is to learn from your mistakes. If they decide you didn't pass trial, take into account the reasons why. Work on the things they tell you, and start the process over again. Don't be afraid to talk to an Operator+ that has been through that. Many of us have had to apply more than once.

The Job Description
The following points are the expectations of an Operator:
  • Enforcing the /rules.
  • De-flooding bases and structures that did not flood naturally.
  • Warning/Kicking/Banning rule breakers when appropriate.
  • Investigating foul play using the block logging system.
  • Settling social disputes when escalated
  • He/She must follow global community rules and guidelines.
  • Keep active on the forums. This includes responding to Staff Applications and Ban Appeals pertaining to you.
Should a situation arise that you do not know how to deal with, always feel free to ask another staff member. Also keep in mind that although these are the technical requirements, following guidelines and suggestions in Part 1 and interacting with the player base will make you a well-liked and respected staff member.

Should you have any questions, Feel free to contact me or another RoF staff member. I hope this has been of some help to those of you considering joining the RoF staff team.
*Note to Staff: If i have missed anything, let me know and i will add it.

Last edited:

Pikmon2

Reaction score
I think the "Personality" bit should be for out of game too, so we don't have a bunch people looking bipolar.

Otherwise, good thread/info/thing!

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Jivvi

Ragetastic96

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
I think the "Personality" bit should be for out of game too, so we don't have a bunch people looking bipolar.

Otherwise, good thread/info/thing!
I think that goes without saying. I doubt we'll have many "bi-polar" staff, but thanks for the reminder about the forums. Added a section to Job description involving the forums.

Last edited:

Hardneck

Reaction score
I'm missing the Serious Business rating here. What it takes is not to treat this like a job. Seen plenty of super serious Ops quit after a month.

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
Hmm it could be guide good for all other servers too.

Its nice guide BTW :)
Not everything in here applies to the other servers but with a few edits it would be nice to have something like this for all the servers.

I'm missing the Serious Business rating here. What it takes is not to treat this like a job. Seen plenty of super serious Ops quit after a month.
Seriousness comes with the job to a certain extent we are all serious. Some do take it too far though. Its good to still enjoy what made you want to staff on the server when you become staff otherwise you're just playing to staff which is never good.

Love the guide, great job Rage!

Ragetastic96

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
. I would agree. But the job description just covers the basics of what this job entails. The whole point of the Personality section was to encourage potential staff to have those outgoing qualities. I don't like an over-serious stuck up op anymore than you do.

Hmm it could be guide good for all other servers too.

Its nice guide BTW :)
Thank you. Part 2 wouldn't need any changes for the other servers. Part 1 would need some tweaking with the activity requirements, and part 3 would have to be redone for the respective server. Sadly it's not my place to post such a thread in another servers forum, so if any ops in other servers wish to use this as a template, they may. Just give me some credit at the bottom or something ;)

Reactions: Notme