TNT server comeback

Status
Not open for further replies.

parquette

Reaction score
Hey all! Hows it going? Just a quick reminder that this is not meant to be a heated conversation.
Just wondering, is it possible we could have TNT server back with the overhaul? Its been awhile since TNT was ever on Blocktopia(Now known as Escape/Restart) and in my opinion, it was the best server along with SMP and BuildBox. I thought it was pretty fun,(it's actually what got me started on Blocktopia) and was wondering (if it was being made again) if it could be a permanent server like RoF is? That would be great! Thank you Admin for taking the time to read this and consider the matter!

Regards! -Par_SmaugSlayer

Y

YouWould

Having TNT as an event server or an A&T minigame would be better than no TNT, at least I would think so.

• Agree
Reactions: froyd

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
look, we're removing some minecraft servers that don't get activity, right?
while i REALLY WOULD LIKE TNT TO BE A THING, it isn't
if it ever gets finished, there wouldn't be room in the lineup, and it'd probably die after a month or so anyways.

tl;dr event server is the way to go

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
if it ever gets finished, there wouldn't be room in the lineup, and it'd probably die after a month or so anyways.

Let's not forget, our community runs on players who want to play unique servers. The number of servers means crap if it doesn't appeal to current members. Similarly, a good server should attract new players to stay from outside blocktopia, Thus, expanding itself.

Therefore, a server must be able to do 2 things:

1. Appeal to current community members
2. Build a new playerbase by attracting active players from outside Blocktopia(escaperestart)

If we just assume any server made will fail then we may as well give up now. That said though, if it aids in the experimentation process we can just throw things out and pull them off the shelf early calling them " event servers." The only thing is, we need to make sure we give our servers enough resources that they have a chance to succeed.

Last edited:

parquette

Reaction score
We really shouldn't be thinking about getting thousands of people on the server. I say that because I don't like the thought of Escape/Restart becoming less friendly and more commercial. To me, that is a cruddy kind of server because I like a homeliness and a friendly community(less people is better because I can keep track with people's names and know them better), not advertising and loaded with as many games as possible. That said, who cares on who plays TNT or not? It is a fun server that is unique, and it is what MAKES Escape/Restart go back to it's origins. Sometimes origins are better, and in this case, it is. Personally I loved Classic Blocktopia, and I kind of like having a Classic oriented server incorporated into the new.

Kattzen

Kattzen!
Reaction score
The big issue with PTNT 1.0, which I'm sure everyone has already noticed, was the lack of players. For whatever reason, no one wanted to play TNT and the inevitable happened.

Although, considering the overhaul, this could attract more members to the community who may be interested in such a server as PTNT 2.0. The first iteration of PTNT was during the time where pretty much everyone who has played TNT had pretty much decided this would not be for them. But, with more players coming in, more and more people can experience such a server for the first time.

Of course, we could always try it as an event server and if that shows a good many players still interested, then it could be at least considered for a full time server.

I can't give any information regarding current development at the moment because reasons.

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score
The big issue with PTNT 1.0, which I'm sure everyone has already noticed, was the lack of players. For whatever reason, no one wanted to play TNT and the inevitable happened.

Although, considering the overhaul, this could attract more members to the community who may be interested in such a server as PTNT 2.0. The first iteration of PTNT was during the time where pretty much everyone who has played TNT had pretty much decided this would not be for them. But, with more players coming in, more and more people can experience such a server for the first time.

Of course, we could always try it as an event server and if that shows a good many players still interested, then it could be at least considered for a full time server.

I can't give any information regarding current development at the moment because reasons.
The only issue was the lack of KingSam, everybody knows this.

Whilst I do like the idea of having a return, isn't the point of the overhaul to expand out to more game types, so having *more* Minecraft servers would potentially go against the idea? Then essentially all the progress that we would've made as a community would be to rebrand... again. Especially since there's not been much of an official word of what new game servers we're expecting other than Minecraft, which is what I expected on the rebrand, rather than as an afterthought.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com

Lack of players was cause of server stagnation - TNT's only dev took real life to the you know what shortly after TNT release.
No dev - no updates features and bugfixes - players lost interest.

Apparently all MC servers stay - AoD/Infection/SMP/TNT are going to be released later.

• Haha
Reactions: SparklyMuffinz

Kattzen

Kattzen!
Reaction score
Lack of players was cause of server stagnation - TNT's only dev took real life to the you know what shortly after TNT release.
No dev - no updates features and bugfixes - players lost interest.
Just in case you weren't aware, I am Kattzen. I staffed this server. It's a shame that this happened but yes, I was pretty darn aware of what was happening with the server at the time.

Anyway, it is still wishful thinking I'm sure at this point for a return but an event server would be nice. My point still stands about the event --> full-time server even if that is still wishful thinking. :p

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
We really shouldn't be thinking about getting thousands of people on the server. I say that because I don't like the thought of Escape/Restart becoming less friendly and more commercial. To me, that is a cruddy kind of server because I like a homeliness and a friendly community(less people is better because I can keep track with people's names and know them better), not advertising and loaded with as many games as possible. That said, who cares on who plays TNT or not? It is a fun server that is unique, and it is what MAKES Escape/Restart go back to it's origins. Sometimes origins are better, and in this case, it is. Personally I loved Classic Blocktopia, and I kind of like having a Classic oriented server incorporated into the new.
Whilst this view is nice - we've specifically targeted this style of sentimentality because it's non-functional outside targeting a select niche.
- Targeting sentimentality over what draws players in ends up basically advertising for 10-20 select people who've been here since 2013.
- This doesn't pay bills. Realistically unless those 20 people are each going to throw in $1 EVERY month, it's unreliable, at best.
- It's just demotivating for directors to run a server that's not drawing in many fresh players.

While something akin to TNT may make a return - like all servers (Kami's Realm, whatever the next iteration of aod is) - It will be introduced an an event server and only kept if there is exceptional interest from players and a clear push to advertise it post-release - no Minecraft server will be exempt from this approach.

I'm more concerned with the idea that we should put sentimentality above fun gameplay - there's thousands of concepts for servers out there, we shouldn't feel drawn to releasing the same line-up of servers every. single. year.

Status
Not open for further replies.