TNT map making guide

Reaction score
04-07-2013
In case we don't get a PTNT map guide (Though I believe we will with all the new stuff) we still have this. Red indicates what won't work on the new server, based on the few info I have.

If no new guide pops up I'll try to update this.
1.1) Server softwares
1.2) WoM Client
1.3) Map build servers

2) Starting your map
2.11) Picking a theme
2.12) Map sketch
2.13) Imaginary grid
2.14) Symmetry
2.15) Main weapons
2.16) Structures
2.17) Spawns
2.18) Landscape
2.19) Map size
2.20) Liquids
2.21) Entities
2.22) Special map features

3) Game modes
3.1)Team Deathmatch
3.2)Free For All
3.3)Capture The Flag
3.4)King of the Hill
3.5)Payload
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Tools
There's a variety of tools to use in order to build a map. They are not necessary, but they make things a lot easier. Training Day was built on a vanilla server with no hacks and it took a few days to finish it, while Two Towers, which was built on a McForge server with the WoM client, took a few hours.

1.1) Server softwares
List of useful server softwares you can use:
  • McForge
  • iCraft
1.2) WoM Client
With flying and speed features, you'll be able to build in hard-to-reach places without any troubles. You'll also be able to get the .dat file of your map and clean, cool screenshots with "/client ui [on/off]".

1.3) Map build servers
List of servers where you can go to start building your map:
  • Epsilon Map Factory
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Starting your map
This part of the guide includes a few tips that may be useful while building a map. These will work on any map, regardless of it's game mode. For more specific information about maps of a specific game mode, go to "Game modes".

As the first tip of this section, when building a map, you may want to build it as simple as possible, then add details to it. Define what kind of spawn your map is going to have, the general height of it, where the players are going to fight, locations of structures and anything that relates to landscape (hills, caves, mountains, rivers...). This helps you to get an overview of your map and lets you tell whether your idea is going to work or not.

2.11) Picking a theme
Althought it seems to be something that isn't important, the theme is where you should start first, in order to get a mental sketch of your map and ideas for the map name. The influence of the theme in the map varies depending on the game mode.

2.12) Map sketch
When you start to build your map, you may want to build it as simple as possible, then add details to it. Define what kind of spawn your map is going to have, the general height of it, where the players are going to fight, locations of structures and anything that relates to landscape (hills, caves, mountains, rivers...). This helps you to get an overview of your map and lets you tell whether your idea is going to work or not.

2.13) Imaginary grid
This grid helps you to organize your structures over the map and helps you to find the center of it easily. To visualize this grid just imagine your map being divided in chunks of 4*4 blocks. (Though any 2^n works, I believe four is a good size)

2.14) Symmetry
It's important that your map have symmetry*, otherwise it won't be fair to one of the teams. The grid mentioned above can help you to achieve that. Keep in mind that only the structures need to be mirrored, you still can mess around with the blocks you used on them.

2.15) Main weapons
Your map must be built in a way that allows players to effectively use the following weapons:
  • TNT (Range: N/A | Explosion radius: 4)
  • Pistol (Range: 9)
  • Rocket (Range: inf. | Explosion radius: 4)
  • Airstrike (Range: N/A | Area weapon)
  • Mortar (Range: 10 | Arc weapon (Height: Approximately 20 blocks) | Explosion radius: 4)
If these five works well on your map, then most of the store weapons will. They don't need to work on the entire map, but at least, let's say, 1/4 of it.

2.16) Structures
Structures can be either destructible or indestructible. The game mode influences which kind of structure is going to be used. If you are going to use indestructible structures keep in mind that they must have a layer of bedrock in it's walls and in it's floors, if there's more than one, to prevent players from noclipping through them.

These structures can be decorative or have some purpose, and both helps making your map more attractive. Such structures can be organized by using the imaginary grid. The kind of structures that are going to be built is defined by the map theme.

2.17) Spawns
The spawns are where the players start. You can have a default spawn (may have multiple exits), or a random spawn across the entire map, several portals leading to specific locations or a random portal that leads to specific locations, or a random portal that leads to specific random locations. The game mode also influences which kind of spawn is going to be used.

2.18) Landscapes
These, if used correctly, helps making your map way more attractive. They can be either be indestructible or destructible. Landscapes also follow the same rule of the structure: they must fit with the theme.

It's not recommended to use the imaginary grid with these, as it wouldn't look natural.

2.19) Map size
Map size varies depending on the game type, recommended sizes are (Y=height):
  • Team deathmatch: 64*64*64
  • FFA, KOTH, CTF: 64*64*64 | 64*128*64
  • Payload: 64*128*64
If your map have a different size than the ones listed above, make sure it follows the following rules:
Y must be a multiple of 16 for maps to have correct height, although a map of size 65 for example will allow shading such as in CTF-Dunes. With invisible shadow creating blocks.

For X and Z less than or equal to 128, X divided by Z (and vice versa) must be an integer (any positive or negative whole number). i.e 48xYx16 will work (because 48/16=3) and 48xYx32 will not (since the quotient is 1.5 which is not a whole number or integer).

For X and Z greater than 128, it must be a multiple of 128 (128, 256, 384..). i.e 128xYx384 will work, 128xYx160 will not.

2.20) Liquids
Liquids can be used for decorative purposes or to build specific things. The only liquids in classic are lava and water. If your map have lakes of any liquid on the edges, it's recommended that the liquid level inside the map match the water level outside the map.
  • Water can be used to build elevators
  • Lava can be used as a tool to deny area
Both liquids can be used to indicate the existance of portals. Keep in mind that maps where the red team would spawn in lava and the blue team in the water would be unfair and have no chance of being accepted, as the red team would move slower than the blue team.

2.21) Entities
You can request to add pre-built weapons on your map. The current options are:
  • Cannons
  • Mines
These should be used moderately. Adding a bunch of cannons/mines randomly doesn't make the gameplay on any map better.

2.22) Special features
List of special features that can be requested:
  • Lava floods
  • Laser beams
  • Block spawn
These features listed are either easy to add/have a template done. If you want to add something that isn't on the list contact Razinao and discuss about whether is possible to add it.
3) Game modes
Before starting to build your map, it's also recommended to choose a game mode. As the way the map is going to be built depends on which mode you pick. In case you can't decide which mode to pick, start a TDM map, as it is the easiest one to be converted to another game mode.

3.1) Team Deathmatch
The main game mode on TNT server, where you kill everyone without having to worry about anything else. Again, if you don't know which game mode to pick, choose this one for the reasons stated above. It's maps usually have a main fighting ground and may contain one or two secondary fighting grounds.

The primary fighting ground is where players will spent most of the match time. It's also where you should focus. Try to make it eye-appealing. You want the players to fight in a cool place, not just a box made of one type of block.

This area should also have a moderately big space. It has to be big enough to pack a bunch of players, and small enough to make fights more exciting. What you should consider while building this area is the possibility to connect more rooms easily (hence the missing wall).

The secondary fighting grounds are as important as the primary one, these are where the players will move to when their fight on the primary one is over. They follow the same "rules" as the primary one, though they don't need to be as big, as the number of players will be reduced at the first fight.

With both built you shall focus on the way they will be connected. It's recommended that all the areas have two (or more) entrances, not only to allow flanking, but to give the player the feeling that, as long as he's alive, he isn't safe.

3.2) Free for all (FFA)
Free for all, deathmatch, whatever you want to call it. This mode was recently added to the server and it doesn't have a big map rotation. It's a good game mode to choose if symmetry isn't really your thing because FFA maps don't need to be symmetric. This part of the guide will give information* about non-symmetric maps.

FFA maps will have about five unique rooms, these being landscape or a structure. Your choice. Each of these rooms will have about three exits. Essentially, there's only two things to worry about while making a FFA map: the size of the rooms and it's connections. FFA maps have random spawns, no need to worry about them.

Though there will be more enemies, the rooms don't need to be as big as team deathmatch ones, as the players will be scaterred all over the map. The rooms should be made to support about six players. As for the connections, keep in mind that a few players will fight on these as well, make them big enough for three players.

3.3) Capture the flag (CTF)
CTF is one of the modes where killing is important, but not the main objective. CTF maps have two elements: The team bases and the middle area, which will be called "the stronghold", controlling this middle area helps to win the round. It's recommended to make CTF maps indestructible. They may be 64*128*64.

The team bases have to be relatively big. These bases have to offer some kind of challenge to the enemy team before they can get to the flag room. To make gameplay interesting, you may make the path to get out of the enemy flag room easier than the path to get in it. This can be achieved if the flag room (which doesn't need to be a closed room) is on a high place, like a cliff. It's harder to climb a cliff than to descend it.

"The stronghold" (Not the map CTF-Strongholds) will be the area that separates the team bases. This area should be built in a way that allows both teams to use it as a forward base. It doesn't need to have a forward spawn. Make sure that the teams can access this area from a maximum of two paths. You can limit the paths to it by adding rivers, cliffs, death pits or whatever fits your current theme.

Flags need to be clear as three logs stacked up, with an accompanying 2x3 cloth flag of the teams colour.

3.4) King of the hill (KOTH)
King of the hill relies on controlling a structure for the longest time possible. These maps have defined spawn locations for each team and the capture point, which can be either in a huge building (i.e. An adminium fort), or somewhere on the landscape (i.e. On the top of a mountain). Similar to the CTF maps, they may be 64*128*64.

The only fighting ground in these maps is the area around the control point, which means that such area must have enough space for all the players. Also, it must have multiple entrances, else it will be almost impossible to the opposite team to recapture it.

The area around the control point have to be indestructible, or at least have a layer of bedrock. Else the players will break everything around it and make it unreachable.

You can request to add a feature that allows the players that control the capture point to spawn closer to it. There should also be eight modifiable blocks in a circle to indicate the capture bar near or at the capture point.

3.5) Payload
Payload maps consist of pushing a cart through a pre-built track. To push the cart, players have to stay close to it. This game mode has two variants: Classic payload and Attack/Defend payload. This mode has a longer game time than the others.

On classic payload, both teams have as objective to push their cart to a specific place. In these maps, make sure that the red and blue tracks come close to one another at one point, to add the element of risk. It’s recommended to add at least one alternative path to the map, to allow players to attack their enemies from behind.

Reaction score
Due to the limitation of 20000 characters, the owner of the thread had to double post in order to add this:

This guide is not official. Hopefully it will be made official, and people will read this/will be directed to this whenever they have questions about map building. Also, I believe that, somehow, the forums completely messed up the text. I tried to fix it. If anything looks wrong feel free to edit the post and fix it.

Edit: Well, it's been stickied for a long time, guess it's official now.

The purpose of this guide is to help players with mapmaking. Although there's a guide on the wiki (Made by Razinao), this one contain information about all the elements of a map, as well as tips for building. Hopefully, this guide will be used by people who are starting on map building and for those who have some experience on it.

If you feel this guide lacks information on any of the topics, feel free to contribute with it. If this thread is closed for further replies on the future, send a private message to the owner of the thread or one of the TNT higher ups with your contribiution to the guide.

List of users who contributted to this guide:
Razinao (Better descriptions of the game modes, information about special features, entities, map build servers , map sizes, map sketch)

0x3c0 (Information about liquids and payload maps)

Alkatraz(Information about different map sizes)

superstein(Information about how to make your map symmetric, map sketch)

Sephhh (Made the explanation about different map sizes more clear)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should have said this long ago, special thanks to Razinao, Alkatraz, 0x3c0 and Marnixxie for reviewing my guide and giving some feedback before the creation of this thread

Alkatraz

Reaction score
Note on map sizes:
X*Y*Z
Y must be a multiple of 16 for maps to have correct height, although a map of size 65 for example will allow shading such as in CTF-Dunes. With invisible shadow creating blocks.

For X,Z less than or equal to 128, X/Z or Z/X must be an integer. i.e 48xYx16 will work, 48xYx32 will not.
For X,Z greater than 128, it must be a multiple of 128. i.e 128xYx384 will work, 128xYx160 will not.

This problem had confused Razinao and myself in the past, however we sat down tonight and worked out the rules for this guide!

Reaction score
Note on map sizes:
X*Y*Z

For X,Z less than or equal to 128, X/Z or Z/X must be an integer. i.e 48xYx16 will work, 48xYx32 will not.
For X,Z greater than 128, it must be a multiple of 128. i.e 128xYx384 will work, 128xYx160 will not.

This problem had confused Razinao and myself in the past, however we sat down tonight and worked out the rules for this guide!
Added to the guide. Had to move the list of people who contributted to the second post in order to do that

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I've made a couple of maps and I have a couple of tips I have to help at the beginning/end.
1st. The moment you start, put a block where the center is so you can know how to make your map symmetrical. This helps me a lot.
2nd. Try making your outline first with basic walls and add flooring and special details, then think if it will work. If it will finish it off.
And 3rd. Really think out the spawns and if they are in one set position if they'd be bothersome.
This was a really good guide and will help a lot, thanks!

Reaction score
I've made a couple of maps and I have a couple of tips I have to help at the beginning/end.
1st. The moment you start, put a block where the center is so you can know how to make your map symmetrical. This helps me a lot.
2nd. Try making your outline first with basic walls and add flooring and special details, then think if it will work. If it will finish it off.
And 3rd. Really think out the spawns and if they are in one set position if they'd be bothersome.
This was a really good guide and will help a lot, thanks!
I appreciate the contributions, a few things that I have to point out before adding them to the guide:

1. I believe the grid mentioned in 2.12 already helps the players with the symmetry. Yes, I didn't point that out but thanks to your post, I'll do it now.

2. The outline you talk about is mentioned at 2.11 as "mental sketch", though you talk about building something basic, then making it eye-appealing by adding details, instead of just imagining. Unfortunately, I have a limit of 20000 characters. I don't think I will be able to create a topic for this outline. But I will mention it on the section "Starting your map".

3. I really couldn't understand what you tried to say here, you may want to rewrite that in order to make it more clear.

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
Whilst I do build maps on TNTWars and therefore we have some amazing commands [wall, flip, rotate for copies being really useful etc], I always find it best to build a flat layer of adminium where I want the general height of the map to be. Usually at the water level. I then find the middle point and do a flat-landscape of the entire environment, having the walls/non accessible areas have no blocks, stairs using slabs and otherwise red/blue for spawns and rock for the playable region.

I then build around from that. If the map is perfectly symmetrical, I only do 1/4 before I play the flip/rotate game.

Reaction score
Whilst I do build maps on TNTWars and therefore we have some amazing commands [wall, flip, rotate for copies being really useful etc], I always find it best to build a flat layer of adminium where I want the general height of the map to be. Usually at the water level. I then find the middle point and do a flat-landscape of the entire environment, having the walls/non accessible areas have no blocks, stairs using slabs and otherwise red/blue for spawns and rock for the playable region.

I then build around from that. If the map is perfectly symmetrical, I only do 1/4 before I play the flip/rotate game.
Added on the new section "2.12) Map sketch", along with the content superstein provided.

Reaction score
i am thinking about making a map but it sounds confusing
It's not as confusing as it looks, you just need to sort out a few things before placing blocks.

You will need a server to build the map, whether is a private server or a public one is your choice. The WoM client isn't necessary, but it helps a lot. The default map size is 64*64*64.

If it's your first map, you should start by picking a game mode (King of the hill, Free for all, Payload, Team Deathmatch or Capture the flag)*. I suggest choosing team deathmatch if you can't decide which game mode to pick, as most of it's maps could be easily converted to most game modes.
*CP wasn't mentioned because it's more complicated, hence why I haven't wrote anything about it yet.

With the game mode defined, you might wanna pick a theme. Your map can be based on lots of things. You might choose to make your map look like a huge city, or a dense forest, a medieval castle... It's up to you.

After doing those, you can start your map. Remember that, depending on the game mode, it's recommended to make the map symmetric, to be fair for both teams. A good thing to do is to make everything in the map as simple as possible, then add details. It helps you to have an overview of the map way before it's done.

You can submit your map after you finished it. Map submission information can be found here. Give it a nice name (Make sure the name isn't used on another existing map. Map list can be found here). Other players/staff members will check your submission and may point out something that isn't right with your map, so keep an eye on it.

If you want to know about something more specific, then I suggest searching for it in the guide. If the thing you want to know about isn't in the guide, then send me a message so I can do a research about it and add to the guide.

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
2.19) Map size
Map size varies depending on the game type, recommended sizes are (Y=height):
  • Team deathmatch: 64*64*64
  • FFA, KOTH, CTF: 64*64*64 | 64*128*64
  • Payload: 64*128*64
If your map have a different size than the ones listed above, make sure it follows the following rules:

I don't get it at all. Starting with the umm XY stuff and all ;D
(This only is needed if you're making maps with sizes not listed above)

I believe you're talking about this,
Just saying, think of X as the length, Y as the height and Z for the width :p.
Yes I got confused a bit because of the symbols, as I thought "/" represented "or" but I realized that it symbolized division (If I am right, then go on, but if not, disregard this) , therefore it's "X divided by Z" and vice versa. To rephrase the last statement,

For X and Z less than or equal to 128, X divided by Z (and vice versa) must be an integer (any positive or negative whole number). i.e 48xYx16 will work (because 48/16=3) and 48xYx32 will not (since the quotient is 1.5 which is not a whole number or integer).

For X and Z greater than 128, it must be a multiple of 128 (128, 256, 384..). i.e 128xYx384 will work, 128xYx160 will not.

Reaction score

I'm adding this to the guide if you don't mind, it's much more clear.

Reactions: Sephhh

Terre936

Reaction score
(This only is needed if you're making maps with sizes not listed above)

I believe you're talking about this,
Just saying, think of X as the length, Y as the height and Z for the width :p.
Yes I got confused a bit because of the symbols, as I thought "/" represented "or" but I realized that it symbolized division (If I am right, then go on, but if not, disregard this) , therefore it's "X divided by Z" and vice versa. To rephrase the last statement,

Ohhhhh.....;c