the wiki and news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
According to the thread here, the wiki isn't being removed, just de-linked.
What is this supposed to mean? Prizyms claimed the wiki was being removed.
In either case, I'd like to have my editor perms back so I can work on restructuring the wiki to be actually useful.

If you're wondering "why bother? no one reads or updates it" that's because the servers themselves had no news or guides able to be updated, unlike the classic servers+primordia, which actually used wiki resources. I'd love to see the wiki alive again. Right now it's a hard-to-navigate archive of bullshit and redlinks.

Related: requesting staff put more effort into server news, especially the recap. Even if it's filler or blurbs on player/staff antics, that's more interesting than "person was warned for inactivity" edited in two days late.

tl;dr let's have a go at redoing the wiki and see how that works out

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll let this topic sit for a bit before immediately declining it, but lets look at the facts

- The wiki is not and, in its extensive lifespan - has never been popular. Various statistics back this case, people do not like navigating the wiki.
- Repeatedly people have vouched to 'maintain it' only to give up - we can't just selectively document one server, we need all or nothing - and that requires a lot of manpower.
- Offering to help only after we state we might delete it doesn't make me believe this totals up to any long-term dedication. Plenty of time has been made available for players to add information/restructure it/propose changes/etc.

It's remained un-maintained and irrelevant for most of its existence, and whilst I would love to have an updated wiki - I don't think the benefits outweigh the overhead effort it'll take to maintain it.

Regarding what we'll do with it. Possibly archive but that depends on where the information is at, at the very least I'll backup the files/data to the new server - though maybe not necessarily make it public until the overhaul is complete.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
would have been updating it, but there's not much news other than staff roster changes
even then, when my forum name was changed to "Hunter", the wiki account did not reflect that change, causing me to lose permissions
now that there is news, though, it'd be good to raise wiki awareness. hopefully, more editors would help out as the wiki gets fixed up.

• Haha
Reactions: Notme

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
would have been updating it, but there's not much news other than staff roster changes
even then, when my forum name was changed to "Hunter", the wiki account did not reflect that change, causing me to lose permissions
now that there is news, though, it'd be good to raise wiki awareness. hopefully, more editors would help out as the wiki gets fixed up.
For many of the reasons Malc stated, it's not gonna happen. May I quote from our goals in the overhaul from this thread:
  • We are going to get rid of assets we're keeping purely for sentimentality rather than being integral to the community.
  • We are going to come to terms with a series of difficult decisions that should have been made in years prior.
That's what the Wiki is to us right now, and that's what we're doing now.

• Thank You
  • Sad
Reactions: Notme and Hunter

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
by archived, would you mean kept functional but uneditable, or more along the lines of "save every page to the wayback machine at archive.org"

if it's the second i'll go save some more pages

actually i'll go save some pages anyway, though the wiki format isn't showing up on the saved versions for some unknown reason

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
by archived, would you mean kept functional but uneditable, or more along the lines of "save every page to the wayback machine at archive.org"
It's been made clear from posts both in this thread and the original planning thread that the wiki will just be made read-only, not deleted.
See: http://escaperestart.com/forum/threads/wiki-removal.17470/

In particular:
superstein said:
We may be able to leave it up and make it read-only somehow, or just remove all editors, and remove the link from the top bar but add a link to it in the archive section, given we have an archive section in the new forums, though I think it's a resource worth keeping around for nostalgic reasons - probably doesn't take up a whole lot of resources either.
and
Malcovent said:
Right, Wiki will be kept up, links removed.

In future we'll review the decision and possibly remove it altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.