The screwed up Xbox Live indie games

maxxz6

Reaction score
Opinions anyone, honestly Most of those "Indie games" on Xbox are either Rip offs or some games with a half naked girl on it there are decent ones though, like Mount your friends

• Love
Reactions: std1997

Shande

The Real Slim Shande
Donor
Reaction score
Screw that, the entire Xbox One line up is terrible and I was stupid enough to waste my money on one.
I've never understood why people buy consoles to be honest. Is it for the exclusives? Because pc can do a lot better for cheaper, and is upgradeable...
It was for me and my brother for christmas. He's a console person and plays only one the worse games ever, Fifa. I bought other games like Battlefield 4 (the worse battlefield game ever), Call of Duty Ghosts (the worse CoD game ever) and Dead Rising 3 (not even that fun anymore). I also got Assassins Creed for Christmas and I couldn't even play that for an hour without getting bored and then going straight to the PC.

Really tempted to give this piece of crap back but its basically for my brother now.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Gaming computers are super expensive and I can't afford them, and consoles usually run games smoothly and stable-y, unlike *some* computers. And to be honest I've seen a lot more quality exclusive games on console than PC.

W

Wimali

Gaming computers are super expensive and I can't afford them, and consoles usually run games smoothly and stable-y, unlike *some* computers.
That's not right at all, actually. PC gaming isn't as expensive as everyone seems to think.

Fact: PC gaming is not more expensive than console gaming, especially if you only plan to target console performance.

A lot of people incorrectly believe that you have to spend upwards of $750-$1000 to get a PC fully capable of handling games. This simply isn't true! These inaccuracies can be attributed to the availability (and mainstream hype) of the expensive hardware we see all too often. You see it more because it's advertised more. Why is it advertised more? Because the companies make more money from selling it. The mainstream/budget parts are the ones you should be looking at; not the $2000+ enthusiast gear. You can build a PC right now that will outperform "next-gen" consoles for pretty much the exact same price. After all, the "next-gen" consoles are really just watered-down PCs with crippled operating systems. Plus, if you only want to target 30 frames-per-second and only 720p, you're going to save a lot of money. Rather than taking the next step in graphical fidelity and only sitting at console performance, you essentially cut your GPU budget in half. See TekSyndicate's own explanation and build and this rough explanation for more information. If you're looking to get parts even cheaper than in the example videos, PCPartPicker and /r/BuildaPCSales are great places to get discount hardware for your PC.
(source)

Fact: PC games are so much cheaper that they alone can make a PC undercut a console within a year

All year round, PC games are being sold at extreme discounts thanks to Humble Bundles and Steam sales. Even brand new titles that have yet to be released can occasionally get a pre-order discount! There's also the occasional franchise or "studio" bundles that can save you around 25-50%. Summer and winter Steam sales offer the largest discounts, with single titles going as much as 75% off with entire franchises and bundle discounts stacking onto the discount Valve already added to it. Yes, it's true that you may sometimes get games that you don't want from a bundle, but you have to be trying pretty hard when you try to label that as a disadvantage. The games are yours forever, and there's a pretty good chance that someone may want to "borrow" it from you and try it out even if you don't. Over the course of 3-4 years, some people have saved over $3000 by using Steam. All those discounts, and developers still earn more on the PC.
(source)

Consoles were once cheaper and better than computers, but that was 20+ years ago. Now consoles are way behind computers, they're basically just stripped down computers. You can get games way cheaper (e.g. steam sales) and can play a lot more for the same amount of money. I feel like exclusives are the only thing keeping people from becoming a pc gamer, or just ignorance/people trying to look cool by having a console.

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score
Gaming computers are super expensive and I can't afford them, and consoles usually run games smoothly and stable-y, unlike *some* computers. And to be honest I've seen a lot more quality exclusive games on console than PC.
I spent $600 building a PC that's pretty high end (4 core 4.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon 6670). You could probably spend even around $450 and still be good in specs; you don't need high-top end, as Bram said.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
That's not right at all, actually. PC gaming isn't as expensive as everyone seems to think.

Fact: PC gaming is not more expensive than console gaming, especially if you only plan to target console performance.

A lot of people incorrectly believe that you have to spend upwards of $750-$1000 to get a PC fully capable of handling games. This simply isn't true! These inaccuracies can be attributed to the availability (and mainstream hype) of the expensive hardware we see all too often. You see it more because it's advertised more. Why is it advertised more? Because the companies make more money from selling it. The mainstream/budget parts are the ones you should be looking at; not the $2000+ enthusiast gear. You can build a PC right now that will outperform "next-gen" consoles for pretty much the exact same price. After all, the "next-gen" consoles are really just watered-down PCs with crippled operating systems. Plus, if you only want to target 30 frames-per-second and only 720p, you're going to save a lot of money. Rather than taking the next step in graphical fidelity and only sitting at console performance, you essentially cut your GPU budget in half. See TekSyndicate's own explanation and build and this rough explanation for more information. If you're looking to get parts even cheaper than in the example videos, PCPartPicker and /r/BuildaPCSales are great places to get discount hardware for your PC.
(source)

Fact: PC games are so much cheaper that they alone can make a PC undercut a console within a year

All year round, PC games arebeing sold at extreme discountsthanks toHumble BundlesandSteam sales. Evenbrand new titlesthat have yet to be released can occasionally get a pre-order discount! There's also the occasional franchise or "studio" bundles that can save you around 25-50%. Summer and winter Steam sales offer the largest discounts, with single titles going as much as 75% off with entire franchises and bundle discounts stacking onto the discount Valve already added to it. Yes, it's true that you may sometimes get games that you don't want from a bundle, but you have to be trying pretty hard when you try to label that as a disadvantage. The games are yours forever, and there's a pretty good chance that someone may want to "borrow" it from you and try it out even if you don't. Over the course of 3-4 years, some people havesaved over $3000 by using Steam. All those discounts, and developersstill earn more on the PC.
(source)

Consoles were once cheaper and better than computers, but that was 20+ years ago. Now consoles are way behind computers, they're basically just stripped down computers. You can get games way cheaper (e.g. steam sales) and can play a lot more for the same amount of money. I feel like exclusives are the only thing keeping people from becoming a pc gamer, or just ignorance/people trying to look cool by having a console.
Just saying, never did I say the games were more expensive, and never will I say that. But a gaming PC (built, that is pretty decent 30/60 FPS) is still more than consoles either way you put it, unless maybe Xbox One is thrown in. I still stand by my exclusives comment

W

Wimali

But a gaming PC (built, that is pretty decent 30/60 FPS) is still more than consoles either way you put it, unless maybe Xbox One is thrown in.
Again- That's simply not true. Hell, you can build a computer that runs Skyrim on Ultra (I've looked through the thread and a few users who built this said they were getting 40-50 fps playing Skryim on Ultra & 1080, which is pretty damn good) for a merely $284! (source)Now, obviously that pc will be outdated in a few years, but it easily beats consoles. Plus, you can always upgrade it! I realize a lot of people buy consoles for the exclusives, and I can understand that. Hell, I even planned on buying an old ps3 from someone- But, in my personal opinion, it's not worth it. But anyway, I don't want to turn this into an 'omg consoles suck' argument.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
To stop this from derailing further (Though all the sources for PC building are great hehe), I'd like to input that most Xbox Arcade Indie games suck because they're, well, Indie - Individuals/Small teams.
Most great games need large teams and lots of money, and thus aren't put into the Indie section. The Indie section is a place for small groups to get their product out and maybe show investors or so what they can do~

It's actually really cool that Xbox is willing to give small developers a chance~

maxxz6

Reaction score
Keep in mind though; not all indie games on the XBLA are terrible!

There's Spelunky, Zombie Estate, Hydrophobia, and surely a handful you could gather up! You just need to look real hard. ;)
You forgot, Mount Your Friends

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Keep in mind though; not all indie games on the XBLA are terrible!

There's Spelunky, Zombie Estate, Hydrophobia, and surely a handful you could gather up! You just need to look real hard. ;)
You forgot, Mount Your Friends
I'm not a fan, but not all games are for everyone. :p

You were included in the handful.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
But a gaming PC (built, that is pretty decent 30/60 FPS) is still more than consoles either way you put it, unless maybe Xbox One is thrown in.
Again- That's simply not true. Hell, you can build a computer that runs Skyrim on Ultra (I've looked through the thread and a few users who built this said they were getting 40-50 fps playing Skryim on Ultra & 1080, which is pretty damn good) for a merely $284! (source)Now, obviously that pc will be outdated in a few years, but it easily beats consoles. Plus, you can always upgrade it! I realize a lot of people buy consoles for the exclusives, and I can understand that. Hell, I even planned on buying an old ps3 from someone- But, in my personal opinion, it's not worth it. But anyway, I don't want to turn this into an 'omg consoles suck' argument.

Or just buy an Xbox 360 for £40 (roughly $60)

Reactions: Pikmon2