The Happy Vice Institute - Game Complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Last chance for the final threat to come forward so I can preserve my 100% success rate at hammering in the final 3. Nobody? Ok then...

But after some reading, thinking and analysis, I think I'm ready to make my decision. For a while I toyed with the thought that one of you could be Notty's successor, but 3 mafia in a 19 player game is pretty low. So the logical conclusion is that the final remaining threat is mafia.

So after deducing that, I started compiling data on the setup as a whole to look for patterns.
Of the dead players there are: 9 Town, 3 mafia, 4 third party. Alive we have (with a small margin of error): 2 town, 1 mafia.
First I tried to analyze whether Mulb's vice made more sense as town or mafia by looking at how all of the item roles interacted.
In addition to Ender, the mafia "turn happy pills into items" role, there is a town distributor of each basic item.
Book: Enables town cop, Blocks town doctor, Empowers mafia cop
Video Game: Blocks the town item cop. It's odd that that's all there seems to be, one would expect it to interact with at least two things.
Lip Balm: Blocks the Happy Pill Dealer. [And allegedly makes the town deathcop unstoppable.]

So books have a positive and a negative for town, video games seem to be purely negative, so I suppose it's not unreasonable for lip balm to be purely positive, especially with the limitations of distribution (Hip's smoking vice).

The next pattern I found- and I stumbled across this one, that's the nice thing about compiling data- was in the three vote-based vices.
Design Cultist (Jurgen) - Third party, wins with mafia. Gets a bonus if they're on the day's lynch.
Nightclub Owner (HKC) - Town. Ability requires that a lynch take place.
-Now, what would complete the pattern? A mafia role with a vice that cares about the lynch. And we just so happen to have a role that depends on erratic voting to function.

These things, along with a non-setup dependent points, bring me to be pretty certain Stranger is our remaining threat.
Like both of your entrances to the day. Stranger, you came in seeming very panicked while Mulb's initial reaction was very similar to my own "Oh, the game's not over? Wow, I guess I have to think about stuff now"

The last thing I'm going to mention in this post: Stranger's vote initially in the day. Just kind of...Throwing it out there with a literal "Fuck it."
I feel that it was a fishing attempt to see if I was maybe third party and could eke out a joint win. But didn't want to leave the window open for very long in case I was, in fact, town and question these shenanigans.

Stranger from Myst Island

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm way too indecisive

Stranger from Planet 9 waiting for you to wake up
Good morning.
Anyway, my initial vote today was very much a panic vote - basically I wanted to make a decision, cross my fingers and hope it was the correct choice. I don't think me being a bit panicked about having to make a game-deciding decision makes me particularly scummy. Even though my opinion is that Mulb is the best choice for us to lynch, I'll admit I can still see scenarios where Tim is the last scum. This is largely a crapshoot for me.

As for Tim's analysis of HK, Jurgen and my role I think the connection between my voting vice and HK and Jurgen's lynch dependant vice is a bit flimsy. At least as I've been playing it, my vice related votes were deliberately placed early in the day, mainly to avoid starting a pileup on someone before we were certain we wanted to lynch them. So I don't really see how my vice would form any sort of pattern to benefit HK or Jurgen.

D

Deleted member 4601

But I don't want to claim! ;-;
Kind of the same as notty in that once my role is out I'm dead and/or useless
Okay this is hella weird because I'm not exactly sure if the role you claimed is useless after your reveal so if you would explain that

D

Deleted member 4601

Stranger from Planet 9 what are your views on the kills last night? Also the odd things that happened over the past night, such as the one where it seemed as if both HK and Weak were blocked

D

Deleted member 4601

Comp might've died because of an upgraded kill ability by Notty due to his "Video Games" vice... looking back at the nights it could be possible for Notty to have been the mafia target on night 2 (Poke killed for "Librarian" reveal). That leaves HK's jail failing to protect Inffy from a mafia kill, which could be the result of a mafia role.

Just a possibility.

D

Deleted member 4601

Comp might've died because of an upgraded kill ability by Notty due to his "Video Games" vice... looking back at the nights it could be possible for Notty to have been the mafia target on night 2 (Poke killed for "Librarian" reveal). That leaves HK's jail failing to protect Inffy from a mafia kill, which could be the result of a mafia role.

Just a possibility.
Here's the thing though - someone raised the possibility of a bus driver, but this was disproven by Tim's fake shield, so this argument hinges on whether Tim is lying. With a bus driver lying like that it does make lynching HK or Weak somewhat easier.

I did realize, though, that it seems that there is a maximum of 2 roleblockers in this setup, HK being one and a potential mafia blocker or factional ability being the other. The night 3 mystery without Notty's enhanced kill would require both HK and Weak to be blocked. Suppose we say that there are indeed two roleblocks in the game - we know that Mafia also potentially has a purifying ability, and that leaves no room for a bus driver. This leaves us with two possibilities: either Notty's nightkill against Comp was 1up'd (mandating an anti-town blocker to block HK, leaving no bus driver), or there was an ability that redirected HK to Weak (Notty's night ability state doesn't matter).

Given my vice, I think there's still a a high chance that there's an anti-town roleblocker out there, as opposed to a bus driver.

D

Deleted member 4601

Given my vice, I think there's still a a high chance that there's an anti-town roleblocker out there, as opposed to a bus driver.
With that in mind, I do think that nobody is lying about their vice here. For the actual role ability though, I'm far more inclined to believe in Tim due to no visible advantage of claiming such a complex role as a mafia roleblocker, as well as the Day 0 "Designate" slip up.

I think I'll vote for Stranger.

Awaiting replies.

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Timdood3 may I ask what makes you think Mulb is being truthful?

Perhaps this is just my bias speaking given that I already see Mulb as scum, but I find odd that they went from being extremely quiet and lurky on d0/d1 to very vocal and typing out multi-paragraph analyses of the game. To me it feels like they're stalling until one of us votes for the other one so they can hammer easily.

D

Deleted member 4601

Last chance for the final threat to come forward so I can preserve my 100% success rate at hammering in the final 3. Nobody? Ok then...

But after some reading, thinking and analysis, I think I'm ready to make my decision. For a while I toyed with the thought that one of you could be Notty's successor, but 3 mafia in a 19 player game is pretty low. So the logical conclusion is that the final remaining threat is mafia.

So after deducing that, I started compiling data on the setup as a whole to look for patterns.
Of the dead players there are: 9 Town, 3 mafia, 4 third party. Alive we have (with a small margin of error): 2 town, 1 mafia.
First I tried to analyze whether Mulb's vice made more sense as town or mafia by looking at how all of the item roles interacted.
In addition to Ender, the mafia "turn happy pills into items" role, there is a town distributor of each basic item.
Book: Enables town cop, Blocks town doctor, Empowers mafia cop
Video Game: Blocks the town item cop. It's odd that that's all there seems to be, one would expect it to interact with at least two things.
Lip Balm: Blocks the Happy Pill Dealer. [And allegedly makes the town deathcop unstoppable.]

So books have a positive and a negative for town, video games seem to be purely negative, so I suppose it's not unreasonable for lip balm to be purely positive, especially with the limitations of distribution (Hip's smoking vice).

The next pattern I found- and I stumbled across this one, that's the nice thing about compiling data- was in the three vote-based vices.
Design Cultist (Jurgen) - Third party, wins with mafia. Gets a bonus if they're on the day's lynch.
Nightclub Owner (HKC) - Town. Ability requires that a lynch take place.
-Now, what would complete the pattern? A mafia role with a vice that cares about the lynch. And we just so happen to have a role that depends on erratic voting to function.

These things, along with a non-setup dependent points, bring me to be pretty certain Stranger is our remaining threat.
Like both of your entrances to the day. Stranger, you came in seeming very panicked while Mulb's initial reaction was very similar to my own "Oh, the game's not over? Wow, I guess I have to think about stuff now"

The last thing I'm going to mention in this post: Stranger's vote initially in the day. Just kind of...Throwing it out there with a literal "Fuck it."
I feel that it was a fishing attempt to see if I was maybe third party and could eke out a joint win. But didn't want to leave the window open for very long in case I was, in fact, town and question these shenanigans.
By the way, I do think this argument might be a little too speculative. Stranger's behavior could be easily attributed to play style too.

D

Deleted member 4601

Timdood3 may I ask what makes you think Mulb is being truthful?

Perhaps this is just my bias speaking given that I already see Mulb as scum, but I find odd that they went from being extremely quiet and lurky on d0/d1 to very vocal and typing out multi-paragraph analyses of the game. To me it feels like they're stalling until one of us votes for the other one so they can hammer easily.
Both the apparently inactivity from the start of the game and the vote stalling now is an unfortunate byproduct of vastly different timezones.

It would be ideal if we could be online all at once and do this properly, not with one of us sleeping.

D

Deleted member 4601

Alright. Time to stop being indecisive.

vote Stranger

This could possibly be my last post before the game ends, so I just wanna say that if mafia wins, props to them for surviving two mafia lynches at the start. If town wins then yay I guess? (I fear to consider the possibility that this will end with a 3p win)

The biggest win is still Alisha who has mindfk'd us all thanks for the great game

D

Deleted member 4601

Oh and it's now official: anyone who supports massclaim in an Alisha game is now scum

• Agree
Reactions: Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Might as well leave it up to Tim. I don't see my mind being changed anytime soon.

I could easily be wrong at this point but this is my best guess. Tim, I hope that you take a second look at your views on Mulb before you hammer.

Vote Mulb

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
So I don't really see how my vice would form any sort of pattern to benefit HK or Jurgen.
It doesn't. They're just similarly themed vices.
Okay this is hella weird because I'm not exactly sure if the role you claimed is useless after your reveal so if you would explain that
Because I was afraid of the possibility that once I claimed, whatever sources of happy pills there were would just keep giving them to me and I'd never get to do anything.
@Timdood3 may I ask what makes you think Mulb is being truthful?
Nothing in my last post hinges on Mulb at all. The only mention is his entrance into today.

Stranger, if you're town, I'm sorry. I can still see a world where Mulbery is the final threat, but I don't think that's the world we're in.

Vote Stranger from Planet 9

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
So I don't really see how my vice would form any sort of pattern to benefit HK or Jurgen.
It doesn't. They're just similarly themed vices.
Because I was afraid of the possibility that once I claimed, whatever sources of happy pills there were would just keep giving them to me and I'd never get to do anything.
@Timdood3 may I ask what makes you think Mulb is being truthful?
Nothing in my last post hinges on Mulb at all. The only mention is his entrance into today.

Stranger, if you're town, I'm sorry. I can still see a world where Mulbery is the final threat, but I don't think that's the world we're in.

Vote Stranger from Planet 9

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
A massively protesting Stranger from Planet 9 was thrown into the device, and cut apart by sawblades. The device retracted, leaving only Timdood3 and Mulbery looking at each other nervously for the longest time.

The console displayed one final output;

The last threat to happiness has been neutralized, and will be harvested for eternity.

Thank you for taking part in phase one of our World Defense Program. Through emotive energy continually being harvested by our Pearlbound Resonators, we will protect the Earth from monsters, at all costs. You have done humanity an impeccable service.

Mulbery and Timdood3 exchanged horrified looks, and noticed a small panel retracting. A stampede of Happy Vice Institute employees rushed into the room, wasting no time with taking vitals for the bewildered pair.

Mulbery got to go back to their life of being a footstool for really rich and snobby people, living the dream by getting paid for a very boring and weird task. But Mulbery was so good at that task, they got to retire early.

Timdood3 was on top of the world. They kicked their addiction to Happy Pills shortly after the escape from the program, and somehow avoided causing any death as a result of the usually violent kickbacks that happen from withdrawl. Clearly a shining beacon for overcoming the odds.

One person stood up that was previously believed to be dead, but somehow survived a seemingly fatal wound. Infected_Alien8_ woke up, startling the medical professionals. The system viewed Infected_Alien8_ as an anomaly, and the night they died, they were put onto minimal life support to preserve their body, as a reward for their resourcefulness. After intensive surgery plus two years recovery, Infected_Alien8_ would finally be able to get back to doing what they did best; selling fake goods at the mall to suckers.

One person stood to the side, watching the three survivors be chaperoned to protective custody, where they would recover from this ordeal. When interviewed by the press, they only had one sentence to say.

"I'm sorry. I am so sorry."​

Stranger from Planet 9 was the Professional Roleplayer. [Mafia-Aligned]
Alignment: Mafia
You are capable of assuming a wide variety of personalities and attitudes. ...in bed.

Night Action: Visit one player and roleblock them, negating any visit they intended to make.

Vice: Video Games
Getting a chance to cyber-roleplay distracts you.

Vice Objective: If you begin a night with a Video Game in your inventory, your personal night action will be disabled for that night, using up the Video Game. You may still use a factional ability.

Win Condition: Gain control of the vote with all threats to the Mafia eliminated.

Mulbery is the Human Footstool. [Town-Aligned]
Alignment: Town
You have an unconventional occupation, but believe it or not a couple rich people in your area paid a small fortune for you to let their feet rest on your back during the long hours of the day. Your death would reveal quite a lot about the person you choose to visit.

Night Action: Visit one person. If you die, the occupation of the visited person will be broadcast to everybody at the beginning of the following day.

Vice: Lip Balm
Your lips feel chapped a lot, which can be kind of annoying when you’re on your hands and feet for sixteen hours most days. Still, a hit of Lip Balm gives you a lot of determination.

Vice Objective: If you have Lip Balm in your Inventory during the start of a night, you can use it to make your visit for that night unstoppable, using up the Lip Balm.

Win Condition: You win when all threats to the town are eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

Timdood3 is the Jogging Instructor. [Cult-Aligned -Wait just kidding, Town-Aligned]
Alignment: Town
The refined sport of jogging is serious business to you. People hire you to run alongside them and shout encouraging phrases like “you can do it!”, and “try to run harder than you are currently running!”

Night Actions: You may automatically visit an anonymous player that will give you a Happy Pill if they are still alive. If they are not, you may visit one person.

Regardless of the above, you may elect to not visit anyone.

You must designate one individual you will instead visit and murder in case your Vice Objective triggers.

Vice: Happy Pills
You depend on these little pills to contain your darker side, the one that keeps whispering for you to draw blood.

Vice Objective: You will consume one Happy Pill each night. Failing to do so for two nights will cause you to visit and commit a lethal attack on your designated individual. The nights are not considered consecutive, and this can only happen once during the game.

Win Condition: You win when all threats to the town are eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

It is a Town Victory, with every town aligned player (plus Infected_Alien8_ for achieving their win condition earlier) getting to feel good about how well they did! Congratulations for the come from behind win!

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
Night Action Summary

Mafia Faction Abilities
Mafiakill - Visit one player and execute a lethal attack against them.

Steal Items [Requires Ltin's Vice Objective] - Visit one player and steal all items they have obtained and any they would have obtained during the night.

Night Action Spreadsheet

Of note: Night 2, HKCaper was counter-blocked by Stranger as the mafia roleblocker, and Ltin intercepted the item gains of Mooglie at the same time.

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
Awards and Reflection

What Spouse?
Achieved by Infected_Alien8​

For planning in advance for the spouse aspect of their win condition to fail, and being fortunate enough to have their spouse modkilled and forcing the host to directly step in to make a correction. Let’s be real, the spouse’s happiness never mattered to you!

Mad Bomber
Achieved by Boooo​

For attempting to live the dream by murdering Inffy in broad daylight with a fake bomb that he himself provided.

Hello my name is Mr. Fall Guy
Achieved by HKCaper​

For having both circumstances such as getting roleblocked and failing at using their jail cause them to appear suspicious, and then making a big deal about having no knowledge about items which certainly didn’t help matters.

You Have to Believe Me!
Achieved by hipmeow​

For consistently doubting Inffy’s lies and clearing up many misconceptions about the fake items after his untimely death and victory, hipmeow definitely had a reasonable head on their shoulders the entire game!

Still Cheerful!
Achieved by Mooglie​

For having a sequence of nasty events cause them to lose their pet cat and night action, followed up by a replacement pet cat promise that never delivered and subsequent loss of all other items they had. Somehow Mooglie kept their sense of humor throughout all of that, a shining beacon of happiness! (Discounting the whining about nonexistant bus drivers of course)

<o>
Achieved by TheWeakGuy48_ and HKCaper​

For correctly anticipating multiple deaths each and aiming to protect/block the correct people, even though the circumstances prevented both of them from having any successful saves to their names.

The Albert Einstein Award
Achieved by Timdood3​

For sounding extremely reasonable at all times, and giving lots of old school references only a few people would get on top of that!

Maximum Verbage
Achieved by Nottykitten and Mooglie​

For playing with making fake votes using verbs in a night chat and somehow luring me into playing along, and then taking advantage of the joke and taking it into the main thread the following day to use as evidence for a night chat! You two BAMBOOZLED ME AND I’M SO PROUD

My Favorite Fake Role Name
Achieved by Stranger from Planet 9​

For the Gumshoe Detective rolename claim on the final day, and then pretending to not know what the reference is afterward. Hilarious!

My Favorite Fake Role Claim
Achieved by Nottykitten​

For having a claim so perfect with the idea of luring third parties into incriminating themselves. I want this to be real someday!

My Favorite Sequence of Lies
Achieved by Infected_Alien8_​

For first off creating a massively worded bomb description to set up Boo to be incriminated by, lying consistently about how it worked and somehow avoiding being executed over it by coming clean at the right time. Inf followed this up with a claim of manufacturing lots of shields to ensure a victory the next day.

Reflection

Vices came to be when I was brainstorming random Mafia ideas, and I had lots of different uncoordinated plans for a lot of different and weird setups. I got the idea to combine them into one and have Vices be the central theme to unite each weird idea (3p recruiter, drug dealer, conditional abilities and the like). I think the end result was a bit less coordinated than I had intended, and there was a lot of confusion and some strange word choices here. I think I could have taken another few days to iron out the bad word choices and inconsistencies that were around. The modkills were rough, however there really was no way around them - a bunch of replacements would have taken forever to find, if I could even find them, and I wanted to keep the game moving for the players that were able to keep staying active as letting the game stall would have been worse.

That was the stuff that could have been improved on, but all in all I actually had a really good time reading everything. Everyone was so dedicated to Mafia, even the people I had to modkill early on were very kind and supportive, and are clearly fans of Mafia. For that I'm so grateful to be able to keep hosting every now and then for EscapeRestart, because it's the community that keeps me coming back for more. I laughed so many times with the antics everyone got up to, I wish I had thought of writing down my reactions to the bizarre plays and interactions from the game, because omg. The feedback I got from several people had said they were really enjoying the game, and it really does warm my heart to see how much everybody cares. I'm incredibly happy with how this game went.

With that, everybody can post now! :D

PokeSvorlds

Reaction score
gg
Everyone played quite well and it was a fun game to watch I mean play!
Setup was cool too, has the Alisha humor all the ones I’ve seen have. It seemed well put together to me and quite interesting.
For the Gumshoe Detective rolename claim on the final day, and then pretending to not know what the reference is afterward.
pffft ?

• Thank You
Reactions: Alisha
Status
Not open for further replies.