The End of an Era

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score

Dear Blocktopia Community,
in 2009, a few people had the idea to turn a little known multiplayer game called Minecraft into something unique. By writing custom software, they took the basic principles of the game in order to create unique playing experiences. Be it that you try to survive from lava by building creative houses or that you try to run as fast as you can away from an army of zombies - people experienced something that can be put into one simple word: Fun.
Developers developed, staff staffed, players played - and many friendships were born (both on- and offline). Our classic servers were the pinnacle of innovation at times, with many others trying to copy us, steal our code, and get a piece of the awesome cake we were constantly eating and enjoying. Yes, they had their fair share of problems and stability wasn't always our main focus - but we also didn't really care, as our community grew into something that was never striving for professionalism but for the best possible experience our players and staff can have.

Head controllers came and went, each one putting their own spin and flair on the servers. Mapmakers, controllers, operators, trusteds, and all the countless players, they all contributed to the Blocktopia we know and love. Some of the best memories many of us have come from that time 2009/2010/2011. I could go on forever recounting some of the fun things that happened - but I realize at this moment that retelling them would not do them justice.

---

Today, I am in the unfortunate position to announce the final closing of our two remaining Classic Servers.

Breathe in, breathe out, repeat.

Even the wildest rides have to come to an end some day. In very long discussions with all involved parties it has been decided that Classic within our community has run its course.

Believe me, I do not like typing these words at all, realizing what it will mean for many people. We could cling to - and pay for - something that we all know is basically slowly going down already. We will not attract new players anymore (since they won't be able to connect), and are slowly losing the player base we once had. Yes, there certainly are other Classic communities still around, so if you wonder why they can do it and we can't: We want to put our focus onto the range of Premium servers, improve them even more, and face the fact that they are the current future of Minecraft. Currently we put too much energy into worrying about Classic, and not enough into thinking how to advance with the basis of what makes Blocktopia unique: Great playing experiences.

We are aware that this decision will sadden or even anger some people. We are sorry for that, but will stand by our decision.

---

The two servers will shut down on April 30th.

We would like to use tomorrows meeting to say goodbye, maybe even get everyone to play a few last rounds on Zombie or build one more disco room on Lava. It is not yet fully decided what will happen with the current staff, but they probably get a priority when applying for staff on any of our other servers.

In the name of the whole Administration team and the Server Directors, we want to thank YOU - players, staff, ex-staff - for the wonderful fun times we had.

Almost three and a half years of sheer awesomeness - I know very little communities that manage to do that. All of us should be proud of those times, and I am sure that not only I will cherish the memories for a long time.

Over and out.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
That was awesome run. What about people who can't get premium like Faliara or Watermolon?
There is still like 2% of community without premium.
I thought that final classic server is going to be shutdown in 2015... :(
R.I.P Classic. Now Blocktopia did full transition to premium started with Primordia.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Wow, I remember when I first joined blocktopia about 2/3 years ago as Noob TBDWFE1 on zombie survival...
I had some great times, and it's sad that both zombie and lava will depart from blocktopia.
Thanks for all of the god times.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I never liked Lava, I was one of the people who found it much too long and boring to get into. That doesn't mean that I'm not sad to see it go, especially with the symbolism of the past dispersing with our last Classic Servers being gone. I still made many memories on Lava and the rest that I'm not forgetting in a hurry and I think that's what really counts. I'm glad to see us moving forward, though. This is something that needed to happen (with the big push made by Mojang) and I think we'll be stronger because of it. It will be disheartening to lose a portion of our player base :oops:

Also, zombie players, you guys rock. First Blocktopia server I ever came to and translating into Premium the last server I ever played seriously.

5genda

Reaction score
Looking back on the memories I have on these servers are all good ones. It's sad that it all ends, but nothing lasts forever. Thank you lava and zombie for giving me the time of my life. ♥

Sploorky

Reaction score
That was awesome run. What about people who can't get premium like Faliara or Watermolon?
I'd like to note we're all a jolly bunch on teamspeak. If you don't have premium, maybe check that out(and check it out if you don't!!!!)? In my eyes, it's certainly worth sticking around on teamspeak even if you can't play on any of the servers x)

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I'd like to note we're all a jolly bunch on teamspeak. If you don't have premium, maybe check that out(and check it out if you don't!!!!)? In my eyes, it's certainly worth sticking around on teamspeak even if you can't play on any of the servers x)
Faliara Watermelon1388 tssk tssk.
Come to TS XD

Xfolo

Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... oh right... i'll stop. i'll be dead when i stop the nooos... Well.... Looks like im gonna have to face all my friends with dis news..... Ok.... NOOOOO.... NOOO.... NOOO.....

Many things to say....
1. YOU WANT ME TO PLAY ABLOCKZ OR SOMETHING... NO I WONT... I HAS NO ZOMBIE SURVIVALS TO PLAY NOW.....
2. i just started lava :(
3. i found blocktopia with zombies
4. will staff be moved ?
5. will i stop grieving?

• Thank You
Reactions: 755someone755

HypeBurst

Just Fabulous
Reaction score

I have no words right now.
Now that I have a clear mind.
I read the title of this thread and automatically thought the worst. (M_B_H was right all along) . I could barely get to my hiding spot on wintoria because of the streams of tears blocking my vision. All I have to say is Zombie Classic was one hell of a server, jam packed with fantastic staff and players a like. I spent a MASSIVE amount of this year and last year playing it (one week I spent an average of 8 hours a day playing) and this may seem very cliché but ZS has made a massive impact on my life. I was EXTREMELY introverted and shy and hated the prospect of talking to any new people. In my time, zombies has really helped me through my little protective bubble and Im much more sociable than I was. I really must thank zombies for that.

But all good things must come to an end sooner or later and I cant say I didnt see this coming.
Farewell <3