The End of an Era

Deadl0ck

Lord of the Rage
Reaction score
You're all sad?
Consider how I feel.

I was lost, when I first found the lava server. It was just the lava server then. But within weeks of me joining the community, we had a build server. Within a month and a half, I was the very first director / head controller of Lava. Within a month after that, I was admin. I was there when the first tests for zombie survival happened.

I've been around this community for 42 months. I've watched these servers grow from nothing, into the gorgeous creatures they were. And then, one day, Mojang deciced to screw us over. They changed the way the login server works. We never were able to completely fix that problem. And we never got the player numbers back. The servers were bleeding out. It was unfair to let them suffer.

If you want to blame someone for this, Blame Mojang. They have been working hard to make classic unplayable without actually removing it.

But as you can tell by the recent improvements to the forums, we have no inclination to go ANYWHERE. We're just focussing completely on premium now!

DSiGameMaster

Reaction score
This is really sad news.. I've been with lava since two years ago. It's been fun everyone. Lava had a good run.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score

Man oh man. Where do I start. This server, and the people within, have meant so much to me over the past two years. I thoroughly enjoyed every second of staffing for (almost) two years, and I couldn't picture a better server to staff on. I never saw this coming, and I don't know what I feel right now. Numb, kinda. It'll feel weird hopping on my computer and not being able to hop on Zombies for a quick chat and a few rounds with my friends. However, it's for the best; it was inefficient to keep these servers up with such a low playerbase.​
Thank you to GmK and the administration for keeping these servers so well-maintained and professional. I'll sorely miss playing, but I'll treasure the memories forever. This isn't the end of my Blocktopia run. Hopefully, they'll find a place for me on premium (if they'd like my services). For now, I'll remain active on the forums.​
I can't say thank you enough. Thank you to the staff. Thank you to the players. I love all of you. We made something special and made it last for a looong time. Nobody else will understand the bond we shared. Until next time, classic. Much love.​

Stieben

Reaction score
It's been great on Zombie Survival. Even though I haven't been able to play it for the last couple of months, it is sad to see it go. But on the other hand it was also expected. Time to move on I guess! :D

aperson155

The ape
Reaction score
The end of an era is just the start of another. As mike told me the other day, don't be sad that it's over, but be happy that it happened. Even though we're sad about the servers closing down, we still contain the things that are important to us. We still have memories of the good times we had with screenshots, logs, and especially the people that were with us. I know that I'll remember the good times on the server and smile from time to time. Even though it was inevitable that the servers would close down, they still managed to hang on and give us pleasure and entertainment. I'm proud to have been part of the zombie and lava communities. Thank you for all of those who contributed to the servers, the entertainment, and most importantly the memories over the years.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Well, it was quite a thrill playing and staffing for Classic Lava. I enjoyed the random moments with other players, dying over a thousand times, and getting the ban hammer out when it was necessary. But all good things have to come to an end and shutting down the Classic servers seemed inevitable. Hopefully all of the server's players will find good servers to continue playing in. Oh yeah, what do I with my cookies?

Agent2479

Born without a face
Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of welcoming, saying goodbyes to, banning, kicking, chatting with, helping, warning, and licking thousands of people on the lava server in the past two years. Remembering my earlier staffing days while reading this thread gave me some of the greatest feels. I'll be sacrificing having a social life tomorrow night to stay with you guys. Stay fabulous blocktopia.

• Love
Reactions: Spencer75

DillonSaysRawr

PooterOp
Reaction score
I have to say, it has been nothing but a pleasure serving the zombie survival server. This experience has been so amazing and has allowed me to meet some of the most fabulous and kind people. Although zombies is shutting down, I will never forget this wonderful, bath salt consuming experience. Love you all <3

• Love
Reactions: Spencer75

smokingkills

The Friendly DoD VetOp
Reaction score
This is hugely sad, but inevitable news. Classic minecraft has done so much for Blocktopia and it is a real shame to see it go. Hopefully we will be able to grow and perfect the premium servers just as we did all those years ago with classic. I know where my time will be spent for the next 5 days!

storm886

Reaction score
Infected_Alien, I didn't know you were TBD!

I think we have found the server that will go in between JtE and PTNT in the lobby! PZombie!!!!!!!

This is sad, but it is true that the amount of players was dwindling. In fact, I just asked solis when he thought the server was going to close like two days ago! I will always remember all the fun times I had on zombie with all you great people! I have met so many incredible people since joining. And to think that I would have never found you guys if I had never searched zombie in the search bar and happened to click on Blocktopia. I will miss lava too although I did not play it as often (mainly for the death runs). But I know one thing for sure, I'm getting on classic for the next five days!

HarmakAnna

Reaction score
Being with Zombies since very late July 2011, this is pretty hard to take. I've seen so many staff and players come and go, from the first op I saw, Gamepro, to my first friends, Red, Widdish, breezy, etc. my promotion to trusted nearly nine whole months ago, my 50 hours in one week, it's all been so memorable.

That said, since I've recently been losing interest in Zombie, it seems like it will be nice to send the servers off. Yeah, there will be those that will leave the community, but I don't think that too many will go. To those that don't want to see the servers go, hakuna matata! No worries! Look to the future with these memories and remember that the community will still have the same people, the same premium servers, and the same great times. Don't get depressed over this!

However, if there's one or two things I regret, it's not applying for trusted earlier. In hindsight, I think that I did quite well at helping out months before I thought about applying. That said, I also wish that I could've been an op,, but oh well, I missed my chance.

Senior trusted, over and out.

EDIT: I have an idea! Let's have Solitude back as a server to hold people over for a week and a half while the directors and admins figure out what to do! :p

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
Well, this doesn't surprise me at all. Shit, I knew when I resigned that everything was going to come crashing down behind me anyway.

I've staffed both Lava and Zombies for at least half a year, more for Zombies. Both of those servers are equally special to my heart, as I learned- blahblabladkflnsfklsfsd-

Anyway, there was absolutely nothing we could do about this anyway. Mojang fucked Classic, and that's something we can't fix. I'll be making sure to inform some of the older folks who used to staff about this.

Terre936

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe classic is closing already! I was sure this was going to happen, but no this soon >:c The days in which my friend first showed me Minecraft back in 2010, when I always used to play classic. I remember breaking peoples buildings because I didn't know anything at all, nor what to do.(I was 9 at the time :p) Went on to several different other servers to build, though, even after all those griefers ruined my precious buildings, my friend and I didn't care, because to us, it was just more building, which means more fun!

In early 2011, I found the zombie server. My journey into blocktopia started here. Seeing all those peoples run from the zombies, trying to stay alive from them. I've got up to that moment where I had been kicked several times for pillaring, etc. I still remember not understanding how zombie worked at that moment. My, there are just way too many memories to look back into that classic has lured me into.

Along came lava, which really wasn't interesting for me, though, I played a few rounds and enjoyed playing(with myself lololol)

TNT, oh.. That was the bomb for me. I had the most fun on classic TNT. I didn't care how many times I was killed, I didn't care if I was good or not, I didn't care about my KDR(didn't know what it was back then), I cared about
being able to make new friends troughout the TNT server, and bombing everyone! I heard a TNT tournament was opening up. I wanted to enter it, but at the time, I didn't own this (laggy as fak) computer, so I wasn't really able to sign up for it, which saddended me. During the summer is when the fun all started. At that time, I started communicating with people, and I saw that people were using wom physics, which I wondered what that was. GOODYSMOODY helped me get WoM, and it helped me a lot for TNT <3. My trusted application in July, the month I had become trusted. Even though I was demoted a few weeks after(lolmefail), I still had a fun time staffing on that server, even if it was just for a few weeks ;).

Classic will never be forgotten. The kind of minecraft in which we all found interesting in first starting off with freebuild servers, to what we are today. We will miss you, classic ;(

L

Later_Gator

I had a feeling this was imminent, but when I read this, it felt like my heart stopped for a moment. When I was operator, I wouldn't have ever thought of the zombie server (or any of the other classic servers) closing; it was out of the question for me. We had some of the best classic servers out there, and I say that with much certainty. We had/have excellent staff, excellent players, excellent developers. Everything. So it seemed like it wouldn't happen...for a long time.

This saddens me of course. But I also feel content. This just reminds me of all the friends I've made. All of the memories I've created. And all of the fun I've had. I would just love to see the players in the poster above play on the zombie server again, before it closes. I know it would be amazing. (Hint, hint. Let's organize something to try to make this happen.)

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
This is the first of a few posts I'll be making on this subject, and I'll write a thread later, but in short:
I would like to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for making Blocktopia Zombie Survival one of the best servers Minecraft Classic has ever seen. We've had hundreds of thousands of unique visitors over the years, and it wouldn't have been possible without your support. Thank you.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
MUST GET BEAR GRYLLS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
Anyways, can't say I didn't see this coming. I've always had hope for zombies, but the past couple weeks, I was really starting to notice that it wasn't going to survive. If only the server was as good as surviving as some of the players.
Zombies, you will be missed deeply, hopefully it'll be fun playing on you the next few days as people try and play before it closes, and actually having some people on.
And as for lava, I never really played it much, but it was pretty fun.