The Economy of Madness - Game Complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mischief

Reaction score
How about paraphrasing names? Like find a synonym for whatever name you already have, role id won't be much of a problem that way

Example, "newborn infant" becomes "young child".

I think mass claiming role names will just out the false leads. Since mafia would lie to make themselves sound like more of a town-sided role (if they do it well) while actually villagers with stranger role names will just claim them truthfully and be deemed suspicious.

As for outing PRs, people may be able to guess what abilities people have from the name but they will not know for sure what abilities they have

• Haha
Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
How about paraphrasing names? Like find a synonym for whatever name you already have, role id won't be much of a problem that way

Example, "newborn infant" becomes "young child".

I think mass claiming role names will just out the false leads. Since mafia would lie to make themselves sound like more of a town-sided role (if they do it well) while actually villagers with stranger role names will just claim them truthfully and be deemed suspicious.

As for outing PRs, people may be able to guess what abilities people have from the name but they will not know for sure what abilities they have
Would you be ok with a full massclaim?

Stranger from Myst Island

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Hello y'all,

Exciting to see we're discussing massclaiming already. I absolutely think an early massclaim could add a bit more spice to the game and make things easier for town, but we do want to be kinda cautious about claiming things that directly give away our abilities.

Also, its worth noting that the game description says "RID may exist in some form" - not necessarily a RID Killer. For all we know Notty's BS claim from last game could have bern brought to life in this one.

Sent from my Ca$hMoneyPhone using Tapatalk

Stranger from Myst Island

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Hello y'all,

Exciting to see we're discussing massclaiming already. I absolutely think an early massclaim could add a bit more spice to the game and make things easier for town, but we do want to be kinda cautious about claiming things that directly give away our abilities.
So id be fine claiming partial or paraphrased role names, but not full roles just yet.

Sent from my Ca$hMoneyPhone using Tapatalk

Mischief

Reaction score
Would you be ok with a full massclaim?
Honestly, I'm starting to think my role is one of those slightly suspicious names.

I would be okay claiming my own paraphrased role because I don't have many abilities

As for mass claim, I'm not against it but I won't push for it either, mostly bluerose memories but this is a different game so I would not say it's a bad idea as long as people do it smartly > give a paraphrased role name so you don't get role id killed

I do think that it could potentially be a bad idea if names have some attached meaning to abilities though

Mischief

Reaction score
honestly dont understand how you could only be starting to, and wouldn't know already. Guess you can explain if we massclaim though
I will say when prompted to, and yes I would not know due to the nature of the name.

Start the paraphrase mass claim? Not sure why we are so wobbly, it's just a majority yes or no sort of thing

If people are very curious about my role name, I am also okay with paraphrasing it without a mass claim

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I will say when prompted to, and yes I would not know due to the nature of the name.

Start the paraphrase mass claim? Not sure why we are so wobbly, it's just a majority yes or no sort of thing

If people are very curious about my role name, I am also okay with paraphrasing it without a mass claim
If it doesn't say anything about your abilities or lack of them then I don't see any downside to you paraphrasing your role name, I guess it could help us see your role name as more believable down the line if you claim it so early

Mischief

Reaction score
If it doesn't say anything about your abilities or lack of them then I don't see any downside to you paraphrasing your role name, I guess it could help us see your role name as more believable down the line if you claim it so early
okieee

The role name is literally something like "Joe"... that's it

???

Now I'm almost 99% sure this is a strange name because a) it has no theme b) it's the lamest name ever. Alisha is like know for her themes and usually, names have some sort of connection to lore. So something to do with the economy or something

However, I may not be the only person with a super generic name so I would have no idea if it's actually suspicious or more common then I thought. I feel like mafia would also have something more... obvious for a blind setup? Like for bluerose the mafia was mostly doctor themed, so for this one it would probably be things like "corrupt ceo" or "money launderer" but that's assuming things.

I would definitely fakeclaim something like "investor" or "stockbroker" had I been mafia though. There is nothing to gain as mafia for shining a spotlight on yourself so early in the game

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Are you an average Joe?

And I feel like claiming like this could still be a really bad idea since and RID killer can just fill in the blanks....
If you're concerned, just don't give any words that are actually in your role, use another word for it. I assume when she put 'like Joe' she meant it's just a boring first name like Joe, but not actually Joe.

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
If you're concerned, just don't give any words that are actually in your role, use another word for it. I assume when she put 'like Joe' she meant it's just a boring first name like Joe, but not actually Joe.
I just think that it's reasonably likely that a player that knew the role name they're looking for already would pretty easily be able to put two and two together to get the job done (whatever that "job" may be)

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I just think that it's reasonably likely that a player that knew the role name they're looking for already would pretty easily be able to put two and two together to get the job done (whatever that "job" may be)
Oh I see what you mean, so rather than a RID role, you're concerned about a role that has the names of some people's roles and needs to locate those people?

• Agree
Reactions: Timdood3

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm a bit concerned about Notty atm

This is just an excuse to try and not do it with a 'there might be X so we shouldn't since it would make a mass claim instead of extra great just normal great and is that really worth the risk?????'. Like people are so scared of an RID killer and refuse to claim names because of it and I don't get why.
"This is just an excuse" reads to me like an accusation since why would I just be using it as an excuse as town, surely I'd be saying what I genuinely think, and I think Notty would realize that. And yet there's no attempt at pushing on me or voting for me or anything, even though her accusation reads to me as quite confident.

And then this:

Yeah two disablers and two people who could make someone switch numerals totally wouldn't of been suspect.
It's a sarcastic comment and just feels a bit aggressive and I don't get where that came from? I dunno, it weirded me out a bit but maybe I'm reading it wrong

And then this:

Isn't the point of it the same point of everything else? We make reads and decide on a good lynch because of that, especially when we would have more information.
It reads to me like they're just saying 'massclaim gives us better information so that's the point of it', there's no argument weighing up the positives against the negatives or counter argument against the negatives, it's just a complete positive paint over massclaiming. I feel like Notty would've considered the drawbacks of losing our investigative roles that could also provide (possibly more accurate and useful) information, and therefore if they still thought massclaiming was the best way to go they'd have come up with counter arguments for the drawbacks and presented them, and here it's like that's just being ignored, to me.

I don't know whether I think it means something relevant to alignment yet but it's just something I noticed and wanted to flag up. Their insistence on mass claiming just feels a bit weird and like it's coming from a place of bias, and I don't know why that would be if they were town

ChocoFox

Mafia Host
Reaction score
—— Quarterly Economic Update ——
Deadline: 14 April 2019 UTC 22:00.

Enderfive - 1 (Infected_Alien8_) [B-10]
PokeSvorlds - 1 (Nottykitten) [B-10]
Timdood3 - 1 (PokeSvorlds) [B-10]

With 21 players, it takes 11 votes to bankrupt and 11 votes to no-bankrupt.

If no option reaches the required number of votes when a deadline hits, the day will end as a no-bankruptcy.

MoltenAshes

Reaction score
I'm against a mass-claim early game (D0-D3ish), because mafia easily could fake a claim and get away with it looking like "town."

Sent from my Sax A. Phone 2B using Tapatalk

PokeSvorlds

Reaction score
I'm against a mass-claim early game (D0-D3ish), because mafia easily could fake a claim and get away with it looking like "town."
How does this change later in the game? Later in the game they have more information to better fake a claim and they can mold it to fit anything that happens mid-game, like any investigations.

Status
Not open for further replies.