The Deletation of RoF

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesykev23

Reaction score
Before the RoF finatics go crazy on me I'd like to state that this is, in fact, an opinion. There is people that I have been talking to since CTNT that play on RoF daily, and I by no means want to offend anyone.
Also, this thread will be relatively short.

Along with almost everyone else in the community, I've noticed that all the servers but RoF have had their popularity drop by a huge amount. In my opinion, I feel that RoF is more of a chatroom than a Minecraft server. I feel that 3/4 of the players start a round, take a minute and a half to create a safe-house for themselves, and sit there to talk. "cheesykev23 what you are saying is idiotic as hell. There isn't anything to do once you build your safe-house," Well, I think what I'm saying is pretty idiotic as well, but I have my reasons for saying it. Me saying this would mean to you guys that I hate all lava survival servers, which I don't. There is, believe it or not, lava servers that aren't just chatrooms.

I think that the Minecraft part of the community needs to be focused around something more fun not a chatroom. I've stopped playing on Blocktopia's EscapeRestart's Minecraft servers entirely because of this. Rarely do I ever see more than 6 people on the AoD server(which was extremely popular at one time). EscapeRestarts RoF server is basically an IRC channel with some lava.

If you guys haven't seen it already, the community has lost a mass amount of players. What is the cause of that? Well, all of you will probably have a different opinion than me, but this is coming from a player who was active in the community from CTNT to the closing of DOD:
My straight up opinion on why we lost players is because a mass amount of you guys decided to quit and just use RoF to talk to your friends and gossip about the community. This made it so that no one could really play on AoD or DoD at all. There was absolutely no players at all on the other servers. When new people come to play Minecraft on our servers, they see AoD, which is a kind of server that has a game that I don't see around at all besides here. They join AoD, but soon realize, "What the hell there's no one on this server" People exploring new servers aren't looking for a chat room, they are looking for a fun game to play.
In conclusion, I feel that what we need if we want to make the community more popular and enjoyable is AoD, A&T, and perhaps a new survival server.

And sorry, again, if this pissed everyone in the community off. The thread on the home page stated that anyone could post opinions/suggestions, and this is my opinion.:-)

Kuyajer

Tyoping Legned
Reaction score
but if the community is rof and you delete rof are you deleting the community
Before the RoF finatics go crazy on me I'd like to state that this is, in fact, an opinion. There is people that I have been talking to since CTNT that play on RoF daily, and I by no means want to offend anyone.
Also, this thread will be relatively short.
the problem is that this is biased opinion
Along with almost everyone else in the community, I've noticed that all the servers but RoF have had their popularity drop by a huge amount. In my opinion, I feel that RoF is more of a chatroom than a Minecraft server. I feel that 3/4 of the players start a round, take a minute and a half to create a safe-house for themselves, and sit there to talk. "cheesykev23 what you are saying is idiotic as hell. There isn't anything to do once you build your safe-house," Well, I think what I'm saying is pretty idiotic as well, but I have my reasons for saying it. Me saying this would mean to you guys that I hate all lava survival servers, which I don't. There is, believe it or not, lava servers that aren't just chatrooms.
you're suggesting you get rid of the "last 'popular' server" in hopes it'll lead to change

I think that the Minecraft part of the community needs to be focused around something more fun not a chatroom. I've stopped playing on Blocktopia's EscapeRestart's Minecraft servers entirely because of this. Rarely do I ever see more than 6 people on the AoD server(which was extremely popular at one time). EscapeRestarts RoF server is basically an IRC channel with some lava.
your suggestion is valid but the methodology is invalid
i'd like to imagine our admins are thoughtful enough to consider what direction the community should go in and how to get it to go in that direction

deleting the most popular server in hopes of increasing other servers player count is taking a huge leap of faith
i dunno about you but i don't think i could jump across the grand canyon
If you guys haven't seen it already, the community has lost a mass amount of players. What is the cause of that? Well, all of you will probably have a different opinion than me, but this is coming from a player who was active in the community from CTNT to the closing of DOD:
My straight up opinion on why we lost players is because a mass amount of you guys decided to quit and just use RoF to talk to your friends and gossip about the community. This made it so that no one could really play on AoD or DoD at all. There was absolutely no players at all on the other servers. When new people come to play Minecraft on our servers, they see AoD, which is a kind of server that has a game that I don't see around at all besides here. They join AoD, but soon realize, "What the hell there's no one on this server" People exploring new servers aren't looking for a chat room, they are looking for a fun game to play.
In conclusion, I feel that what we need if we want to make the community more popular and enjoyable is AoD, A&T, and perhaps a new survival server.
this is all subjective which doesn't make it wrong
but
it's kinda wrong
And sorry, again, if this pissed everyone in the community off. The thread on the home page stated that anyone could post opinions/suggestions, and this is my opinion.:-)
your opinion is too idealistic and therefore offends me please remove it

Last edited:

Kuyajer

Tyoping Legned
Reaction score
I certainly was ready to be pounced on by an RoF player in case any of you are wondering:-)
shoutout to my homeboy Hunter we're gonna name this one ad hominem

That's not the problem, the issue is the conclusions you're drawing

Let's assume RoF is deleted. You're not solving for anything. You're proposing a radical change without support or evidence that anything you're supporting will actually happen.

Deleting RoF doesn't encourage anyone to play any other servers, if anything it'll encourage people to leave. People play on RoF because that's what they choose, forcing people into something else they don't like and you might see an increase in playercount on others server but at the cost of losing a lot of the minecraft playerbase, which isn't even the direction this community is taking anymore. A lot of the community is forums based, or has moved on to different games or the teamspeak server. Minecraft isn't a viable source of new players either, alienating the remained of the community hardly does anything beneficial, and even those benefits are heavily outweighed by the detriments.

DaniGrenade

Reaction score
Website
www.nyancat.net
I assume what Cheesy is trying to say is that if you delete RoF, the RoFians(?) will migrate to other servers and make those popular, thus attracting new players. That seems like a risky idea, deleting the 'popular' server in hopes of making ER more popular...

Terre936

Reaction score
even when rof was down some of them just waited in the lobby wating for it to come up, (even though sometimes it wasn't going to come on until the next day), and only about a few of them went on the other servers. The people who play RoF hardly go on any other server because RoF is the server they enjoy
also hey, i havent talked to you in a while.

SirCiph

Reaction score
No, deleting RoF will encourage the playing of the game servers
This makes no sense at all. Please explain this line of thought.

EDIT: My post feels lacking so let me add some things.

Deleting RoF seems like a silly idea. While the server personally bores me, it is currently the most popular server. In addition, it is practically a legacy - this community's origins were in TheOne's Lava Server on classic. I'm not one for tradition, but it feels noteworthy in this situation.

Most of your reasoning is very faulty, and I fail to comprehend it.

JtTorso

Reaction score
If the system works then you figure out why it works and you adapt what makes it work to other things. It's quite clear that servers like Infection are no longer popular in our community, we shouldn't remove our best example, instead we should be looking at the bad ones and figuring out how to make them like the good ones. Doesn't matter if you like RoF or not, facts speak for themselves.

cheesykev23

Reaction score
This makes no sense at all. Please explain this line of thought.

EDIT: My post feels lacking so let me add some things.

Deleting RoF seems like a silly idea. While the server personally bores me, it is currently the most popular server. In addition, it is practically a legacy - this community's origins were in TheOne's Lava Server on classic. I'm not one for tradition, but it feels noteworthy in this situation.

Most of your reasoning is very faulty, and I fail to comprehend it.
"Deleting RoF will encourage the playing of the game servers"

What I mean by this is that if the server was taken off the server list, the people on the RoF servers would, hopefully migrate on to other servers. When new players come and see that AoD has 20+ players online, they will find it a fun game to play, like anyone would. People would keep playing and ER would become their favorite server, word gets out, ER(at least the minecraft side) becomes popular. Yeah, it would break the hearts of many people to get rid of RoF, but it did, in fact, happen to CTNT, and the CTNT lovers, including myself, got over it.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Personally I don't think this would work :(
For one, I don't necessarily think that the rof players would migrate to the other servers; they most likely play rof because they prefer that to the other servers and so axing rof could possibly make them leave all together!
Also, it seems like you want to get rid of something that quite a lot of the community enjoy just in an attempt to make the community popular, which I'm not sure would be a good decision :(
Just my opinion though, thanks for trying to improve the community with a suggestion, at least :D

• Informative
Reactions: webpaige and Cloudy

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
cheesyboy dont you dare call it ctnt its always and forever tnt wars and do i look like i got over it
i remember the lagpillars and anubis and cannons when they were OBSIDIAN and not adminium and before we had ctf/koth/payload and when it was just RED and BLUE and RANDOM and the timer got stuck

remember when the server was full 30/30 and no one could get on
the times kingsam made tnt not explode
before cherrybombs were a thing

when mall was a map and it was super big

when /snow was used and it looked like the map had rabies

when ctf-hamlet had the flag extend past half the map

so don't you dare say tnt is dead it will live forever in our hearts

as for lava, i guess you could say you want it to
die in a fire
B)

(there's no way that's happening- it's the most popular server and the first to be moved. there's already a thread about getting tnt back- maybe check that out.)

• Optimistic
  • Thank You
Reactions: SirCiph and JtTorso

SirCiph

Reaction score
"Deleting RoF will encourage the playing of the game servers"

What I mean by this is that if the server was taken off the server list, the people on the RoF servers would, hopefully migrate on to other servers. When new players come and see that AoD has 20+ players online, they will find it a fun game to play, like anyone would. People would keep playing and ER would become their favorite server, word gets out, ER(at least the minecraft side) becomes popular. Yeah, it would break the hearts of many people to get rid of RoF, but it did, in fact, happen to CTNT, and the CTNT lovers, including myself, got over it.
I disagree. If we cut RoF, we'll have a bunch of people leave because their favorite part of the community is now gone. If they didn't like the other servers enough to stay on them before, what would make them stay there once their favorite is gone? It makes no sense - there are other communities out there, and they would leave for those communities.

You even said "hopefully". That shows you're not confident that such will be the outcome.

Also, I was a TNT Wars lover. It was my first Blocktopia server. Don't you dare claim to speak for all TNT server fans, because I never got over it. Evidently, neither did Hunter.

• Informative
Reactions: Cloudy

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Cheesykev, I kind of feel where your coming from. I don't agree, but I feel where you are coming from. Your probably upset that escaperestart isn't currently offering a server that you can enjoy( within a reasonable play quality). You probably feel alienated from the community, and honestly I have felt that way too with the lack of servers we've had and there being no SMP atm. I agree something needs to be done about infection/aod, but chopping ROF is not the answer. This community runs on having unique servers to attract players of all types and without aod the balance is off, however, without ROF the balance would also be off, but wed lose more players and have no guarantee Aod would make a return, possibly destroying the balance altogether. I was never a huge Aod player, but I too am disturbed by how small it has grown. Hopefully the relaunch of AoD later down the road will help fix things.

cheesykev23 if you're getting bored by the lack of players on AoD remember you can always start up a game by inviting friends. Usually, you should be able to start up a game in a few minutes if you just keep well known AoD players on a friends list to your steam account( if you don't have one I highly suggest making one. It's free.) And message a few whenever you want to play. This would also help break the cycle of people not joining because they are tired of seeing nobody on.

If the system works then you figure out why it works and you adapt what makes it work to other things. It's quite clear that servers like Infection are no longer popular in our community, we shouldn't remove our best example, instead we should be looking at the bad ones and figuring out how to make them like the good ones. Doesn't matter if you like RoF or not, facts speak for themselves.
This is a very good point, honestly though the argument scares me into thinking we might end up creating clones of each server ( which wouldn't work for obvious reasons)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from that its not about the survival anymore, its mainly about the chat and IRC but, we classify our selves as a community and have made great friends through RoF not just being about surviving but about the chat. I'm also not implying that you are %100 wrong because yes I also believe that there needs to be something done so that the chatting and communication is as equal as to the fun people wish to have in the game play. I also believe that the communication and chatting relies on people having fun while building. Also i would just like to point out the purpose of the overhaul is to bring more people into our community and we cannot be saying that something needs to be done when the only people that can change what the escape restart community and gaming section looks like is us, so i believe deleting RoF wouldnt change the numbers on the other servers because personally i only like RoF and Create and if RoF was deleted i highly think you would rarely see me on Escape Restart.

:D

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
TBH this is a little too silly to work out. RoF is terribly different from the other servers which is why if you delete RoF, they won't go to other servers because it's not the same experience. If this went through it would jeopardize the entire community

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: JtTorso and Cloudy

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe people like RoF because they can use it as a chatroom? I think if the other servers aren't getting as many players, we should focus on making them as popular as RoF, instead of getting rid of it, as if we do get rid of it, the only people who will go onto different servers will be the EscapeRestart fans, the plain RoF fans will leave. I'm not entirely sure but I think there's a few more RoF fans than EscapeRestart fans, not really giving any benefit. If the Directors don't like it plain as a chatroom, they can decide to implement things to counter it. If other servers aren't getting players, they can decide to implement things to get more players. It is the duty of the Directors to implement things to boost the player count - other servers should not be sacrificed for other servers.

I can see where you're coming from, but it's a bit too... hopeful maybe?

SirCiph's and JtTorso's most recent response (relative to this post) really sums it up.

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
You underestimate the importance of a community-- Similary, a lot of people go watch shitty movies at the cinema with their friends; they don't actually care about the movie or the plot they just want to have some fun with their friends. Or make new friends. Also, I think deleting RoF just doesn't make any sense at all, it's like throwing away your computer just because its graphics card is broken. Why get rid of something entirely if you could just try to fix it instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.