Other The Ban Appeal Forum

D

Deleted member 4601

No idea whether I should take this whole "EscapeRestart" thing seriously anymore (not that I did in the first place). Anyway, before this thread turns into the train wreck like we had a year ago, I'll just come in and say a few things.

• If you want to do memes, we're not stopping you. Just make sure that it's not spam (repeatedly posting messages that don't really have meaning) and it doesn't involve any personal attacks (insulting people past the point where it's considered a joke) and it should be fine.
• If you are against the idea of opening up the ban appeals (Don't worry, I am too), feel free to talk to any of the admins in private. I'll be glad to sit down and discuss this properly if you feel like no one's paying attention to you.

Have a lovely day =)

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: Willchill and Ceres

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'd like to drop my opinion here for all that it's worth.

1) The old system was current ban appeals being visible to Moderator+ and resolved ban appeals being Controller+, this didn't make sense because mods often have to look back at past ban appeals for various reasons. However this could've just been changed so it's not that big of a deal.

2) There's a ton of ex-staff on the forums that banned people in the past, if somebody appealed who has banned by one of these ex-staff members how would the ex-staff member be able to give input on the ban?

3) In a situation where somebody who was banned from the forum (eg. Aqua) had to have somebody submit an appeal for them, the banned member couldn't see the appeal themself to check for replies and had to have the posts screenshotted for them. Once again not a huge deal though.

All in all I think the positives to opening the ban appeals to the public outweigh the negatives.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Digitalmez I think I'm understanding where you're coming from but could you just clear something up for me because I'm a bit confused and feel like I'm not fully understanding your point - why do you think people having ban appeals to the public would result in harrasent/bullying? I'm struggling to imagine scenarios where someone appeals a ban on a video game server and is attacked for that. Like I know bullying *could* come out of it just like it can anything, even if it's a really stupid reason to bully someone (I just keep imagining "haha he appealed his ban for spamming, what a LOSER!!!") but I'm struggling to see why you think ban appeals are particularly prone to leading to things like bullying. I get that it's kinda shameful to publicly say "yep guys I was banned" but anyone who would care most likely already knew since that person had stopped playing the server and information had spread that they were banned, and besides, I think making a public apology/confession/defence is something that helps the newly unbanned person to be forgiven and welcomed back. And I know sometimes people read badly made bans and others get a laugh out of them and maybe poke fun but surely there's just the same chance of that happening through someone posting a status update or a bad argument in a discussion. Sorry if I'm missing aspects of your point and maybe I'm just being super dumb and I get there are some possibilities of public appeals leading to hurt but as far as I can see right now those possibilities aren't high enough too outweigh the benefits of making them public, but hopefully you can help me understand that lol.

Hex

Keyboard & Tech Content Creator
Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
No idea whether I should take this whole "EscapeRestart" thing seriously anymore (not that I did in the first place). Anyway, before this thread turns into the train wreck like we had a year ago, I'll just come in and say a few things.

• If you want to do memes, we're not stopping you. Just make sure that it's not spam (repeatedly posting messages that don't really have meaning) and it doesn't involve any personal attacks (insulting people past the point where it's considered a joke) and it should be fine.
• If you are against the idea of opening up the ban appeals (Don't worry, I am too), feel free to talk to any of the admins in private. I'll be glad to sit down and discuss this properly if you feel like no one's paying attention to you.

Have a lovely day =)
Don't PM Anybody that uses Comic Sans as a normal font, Mulbery is not to be trusted.

BrickWolf

The Concrete Dog
Reaction score
Digitalmez Like I know bullying *could* come out of it just like it can anything, even if it's a really stupid reason to bully someone (I just keep imagining "haha he appealed his ban for spamming, what a LOSER!!!")
This basically

Like which one of you chimpanzees would actually make fun of someone because of their ban appeal

*Yeah I know I've been laughing at rosekill's but come on he has like 10 I HAVE to EleGiggle

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
I think the conversation is over. Any proper queries can be PMed to an admin, who can relay anything needed to us. This isn't something I enjoy doing, but I think it's necessary now. I don't think I need to explain why.

Locked... or not.

EDIT: I have been persuaded that there is still discussion left in this. Memes are fun and stuff, but please don't ruin it for the people who are concerned about this issue. If memeing intensifies and discussion doesn't, then I will have to do stuff.

Last edited: