Suggestions to Reconsider

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Since the Lava Server has been slow as of late, I figured that some suggestions could be reconsidered for the current, active players, that have been hanging around the server right now.

Talking points:
Lava Time
Cookies
Ranks
DR Rounds
Lava Mood/Speed

1. Lava Time:
I know that there's a suggestion to reduce the Lava Times by five minutes in a previous thread; And I think that's a good idea. But a couple of days ago, there were at least two-three consecutive maps that had 40min lava times. If you ask me, that's quite long and boring unless there are people either talking or if there's a parkour course to play in. To be honest, I'm a bit on fence on whether to shorten lava times or not...
--The Pros of 40min maps is that the user gets to build something big for the first 15mins... And then build within it for the remainder of the time.
-- The Cons: It's can be long and boring.

**Suggestions:
1. have a way where there is only one 40min round within four or five consecutive maps. For instance... 25min/40min/30min/25min... (This probably is happening already, but this talking point will relate to the other talking points).
2. Try to find a way where 3 maps can fit within a 1hour timeframe?

2. Cookies:
Cookies cookies... yes.. I have no use for them at the moment, but I'm sure everyone else does. The lava time and cookies kinda relate to each other here. I guess the reason why shorter rounds haven't been implemented is that people will cookie whore if the cookie system stays (1-6 cookies per round (CPR) with variable round times)

**Suggestions:
If all round times are changed to 25mins each... why not change the cookie system to (1-3 CPR)?
This deals with making the longer rounds short whilst disabling cookie whoring.

3. Ranks
Now you may be thinking about ranks... So I guess the reason why shorter lava times were denied is because users would be able to rank up quickly by getting more cookies in a short amount of time?

**Suggestions:
Here's the equation: 25min Lava times + (1-3 CPR) + Higher Rank Prices (ie. Master = 800 Cookies)... Could that work?
Or maybe the rank prices don't need to rise since the CPR has decreased?

4.DR Rounds
As of late, It seems that there aren't many DR rounds to play in anymore. There's probably just one DR round for every 5 consecutive maps being played. The issue here is that the long rounds tend to become boring and that having DR maps would liven up the players.

**Suggestions:
Is there any way to have DR rounds on the hour, every hour?
Or make it happen after two consecutive LS maps each time?

5. Lava Mood/Speed
There has to be a way to change the lava mood, especially the speed, during gameplay when a VetOp isn't on. Just a couple of days ago I was on a map with an Op and we were waiting for the lava to hit the dam, but it was so slow. It was only halfway through the map when the round ended though. Is it possible to give Ops the permission to change the lava speed? Like once they change the speed, they can put a reason as to why they changed it. (ie. Speed:Cheetah, Reason: 5mins left, lava halfway through map)... I guess same would go for mood as well?
--- I really would like if there was a way for regular users to change the lava mood/speed from previous posts there is just talk about abuse and stuff... so I don't know if it would be possible anyhow.

Talking Points
I tried to consider most of the known variables when thinking about these suggestions, but I'm sure that you guys can come up with counterpoints as to why these suggestions may not come to fruition. But keep in mind, the server has been slow as of late... I don't see many players on and I also don't see many of the regular Staff that use to be on before. So, if you guys have any questions or just need clarification on any of these points, feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Sploorky

Reaction score
1. Lava time: I feel shortening the maximum time by 5 minutes wouldn't hurt. 15 minutes to build and 20 minutes to flood is more then enough time to allow creative builds.
2. Cookies: I really liked the old idea of having cookies earned be dependent on how long you were in the round. All discussion of that kind of dropped, but to my knowledge, it was planned to be added into the server, but didn't happen.
3. Ranks: With the current modifications to ironman, I think the prices are fine at the time.
4. DR Rounds: I like the idea of a set time for Death Run rounds. For example, after 2 lava survival rounds, we have 4 DR rounds. This is just a rough number, but I think that would be better then the 30%(Think that's it) chance of having a DR round coming up.
5. Lava Mood/Speed: I doubt mood or speed would be set to op, but perhaps an auto vote?
/vote @@4 for mood, /vote @@5 for speed
Change the lava mood?
1. Calm
2. Annoyed
3. Angry
4. Furious
Same type of thing for speed.

As long as this isn't overdone or abused, it could work. Also, with some modifications to the dam maps, it could be easier to flood. For example, long_lava_valley has a lava source at both sides of the map. If each dam map had this, I think flooding the map as an op would be much easier.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
2. Try to find a way where 3 maps can fit within a 1hour timeframe?
Three maps in an hour time frame might be a bit overboard. The main reasons that I see players suggesting more maps in a shortened time is because they usually play on the server just for the rewards. Usually, they don't focus on an important objective, which is to have fun. They don't make it fun for their selves because they want to wait and do nothing for the round time to collect their reward. I do prefer a slight decrease in the round time though, of a 10 minute build time and a 20 minute survival era. That should balance it out precisely, depending on the map characteristics.

There has to be a way to change the lava mood, especially the speed, during gameplay when a VetOp isn't on.
This thread here is pretty relevant to your suggestion here, so this might answer it for you:

http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/randomly-occurring-faster-lava-rounds.7887/

Is it possible to give Ops the permission to change the lava speed? Like once they change the speed, they can put a reason as to why they changed it.
While I wouldn't mind having the access to change the speed of the lava, I believe it's restricted from them partly because there may be concerns from the higher staff that the OPs will be overusing this too much (not saying that the current ones would), which can possibly result in the lava source being messed up with the speed that it is suppose to excel at.

Sploorky proves a vigorous point though. Maybe at 10 minutes of each round, an auto vote to increase the lava speed, with the list of the available speeds, and a vote of keeping it the same. The players might be satisfied with them being open up on more options for how they would prefer to survive, so I am in for this suggestion.

trngl3087

Reaction score
The main reasons that I see players suggesting more maps in a shortened time is because they usually play on the server just for the rewards. Usually, they don't focus on an important objective, which is to have fun.
rewards = fun

If rewards were handed out more often/easier to obtain, players would have more fun.

Sploorky

Reaction score
Just to note, I didn't mean an auto vote that occurs every round. I meant a /vote @@#, which gives an automated vote. (/vote @@1, end round, /vote @@2, start lava early, etc)

Also, if it's possible, being able to set different default speeds for specific maps would help.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
rewards = fun

If rewards were handed out more often/easier to obtain, players would have more fun.
This is true, but I was really trying to aim towards having rewards too often. The 10-15 minute rounds, for example, that only lasted like a week or two, was something that I was trying to get my point across. I don't mind the players gather rewards at a more constant rate, just as long as they play the game properly for surviving against the lava and they have fun during the round.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Okay, here's another Lava Time suggestion.
How about switch the build times and lava times around?
Take the 40min rounds... It's originally 15min to build 25min to survive..
Switch them to 25mins to build... 15mins to survive. (or 10mins?)

This is based on wanting more time to build and having less time to survive.

OR...

An extreme version of this would be a 25min round.
20mins to build with 5mins to survive....
BUT
During those last 5mins, the Lava speed is African Swallow and the Mood is random.

I think the the surviving part, where the users have to wait for the lava, is where the users end up becoming restless and bored. And with this suggestion, giving users enough time to build something fancy and creative will keep them preoccupied with their build rather than waiting for the lava round to finish.
What do you guys think?

RaizzanX

Trash
Controller
Donor
Discord Staff
Reaction score
I would like to add a few suggestion here, how bout reimplementing the award system. It does give the usual players some goals to achieve. More into awards, if it's possible, why not auto award the players if the server can check if the players met the condition for the award.To quote what trngly said
rewards = fun
However this applies to certain players who likes awards. I agree that the rank price is perfect as it is. And the long build time and short lava time can have a few problems. This may increase the number creative builds but this means shorter flooding times. The speed of the lava may or may not put quite a lot of stress on the server.

Regarding death run, I think we still have very few maps to make it occur more often but I could be wrong on that. Death run can be really fun but occurring too often may discourage certain players who aren't good at navigating the course.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Switch them to 25mins to build... 15mins to survive.

This is based on wanting more time to build and having less time to survive.
The one problem with this idea is that it isn't balancing out the point of survival on the server. If you want all that time to build something really fancy, then there are build servers for that. I don't mind a small increase in the amount of time to build (15 minutes should be at most), just as long as we keep the point of the game to its objective. 15 minutes should be enough time if you planned on constructing a creative place to preoccupy.

To balance it out for player preferences, the idea of a 15 minute build time with 15-20 minutes of a lava flood should keep satisfactory to everyone.

I think the the surviving part, where the users have to wait for the lava, is where the users end up becoming restless and bored.
As I said, they make it tedious for themselves by waiting around and doing nothing. I can make a list of various activities to keep me entertained during a lava round. If players can't think of anything to do in the middle of a lava flood, they could ask other players of how they make surviving fun for themselves. There is also this thread that others mention what they do to keep themselves entertained:

http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/things-to-do-in-the-middle-of-a-lava-round.533/