[Suggestion] Void Kills

Iggish

Reaction score
Suggestion name: Void Kills.

Description: You will ALWAYS get the brains for hitting someone into the void. Normally when you hit them into the void you don't get the brains. This is annoying in quite a few maps.

Why should we implement this?: We should implement this so people have something to fight for in maps like Sumo, Poolhall and Platform Panic.

What are the possible issues with this suggestion?: I can't think of anything.

Extra notes: None

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
The way it is now, you get the brains when someone dies and you hit them a short time before; and were also the last to do so. This means that hitting people off ledges and cliffs will grant brains, but a lengthy fall like the void will not. You might notice some people are in the habit of /kill-ing after hit off on PoolHall/Sumo/etc. This is quite possibly an act of charity to still grant their assailant their bounty.

• Agree
Reactions: Cstar

Iggish

Reaction score
The way it is now, you get the brains when someone dies and you hit them a short time before; and were also the last to do so. This means that hitting people off ledges and cliffs will grant brains, but a lengthy fall like the void will not. You might notice some people are in the habit of /kill-ing after hit off on PoolHall/Sumo/etc. This is quite possibly an act of charity to still grant their assailant their bounty.
but in maps like sumo and poolhall there are no ledges and it's really hard to get a kill

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Well, I would like this to be implemented however...

I did some testing with bukkit and broadcast a message saying the cause of death. I logged in using an offline player and knocked myself off into the void. It seems like its on a timing system: if a player dies soon after another player has damaged them, then bukkit registered that player was the killer. However, if the player takes a long time to fall into the void and die, then bukkit doesn't realise that a player was the result of death.

What I'm saying here is that its almost impossible to give a player brains for knocking someone into the void as it takes them too long to die. Possibly moving all maps which have the aim to knock people into the void down to a Y level near 0 would work, but then you would have void particles to deal with. Or else, in PlayerDamageEvent if the cause is void kill them instantly.

Hopefully this helps you to understand. AoD is doing nothing wrong, its just a *flaw* with bukkit.

Reaction score
I've got an easier solution. In 1.8 they're adding barrier blocks so you could just fill y:1 with them so when players are knocked off they'll hit the barriers and you'll still get the kill. This also won't effect the scenery as barrier blocks are invisible.

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I've got an easier solution. In 1.8 they're adding barrier blocks so you could just fill y:1 with them so when players are knocked off they'll hit the barriers and you'll still get the kill. This also won't effect the scenery as barrier blocks are invisible.
Then if somebody misses an ender pearl on maps like that they get teleported to the bottom of the barriers. And are stick there.

Reaction score
Then if somebody misses an ender pearl on maps like that they get teleported to the bottom of the barriers. And are stick there.
Make it so you can't enderpearl into that area (is that possible?) like how it is at spawn.

I think we should just stick to the original suggestion by comp with moving the map down to y:0
That wouldn't work on some maps like cubism.

755someone755

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
An idea for this could possibly be a platform under these maps with pressure plates and those fancy blocks that use commands (command blocks, I think they're called). These blocks would then send a /kill command for the player, killing them in time for the person pushing them off to get the brains.

Doesn't look pretty, but it would work.

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
An idea for this could possibly be a platform under these maps with pressure plates and those fancy blocks that use commands (command blocks, I think they're called). These blocks would then send a /kill command for the player, killing them in time for the person pushing them off to get the brains.

Doesn't look pretty, but it would work.
Except for missed enders pearls

755someone755

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
What do you mean?
If there is a timeout on how long it is after a hit that a person would get a kill from somebody doing /kill, the timeout would still apply.
As it is now, the guy who hit the enderpearler would still get the brains if the enderpearler would die from enderpearling before the kill-hit-timeout ended.
(I really don't understand why this wouldn't work except for being fugly)

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
What do you mean?
If there is a timeout on how long it is after a hit that a person would get a kill from somebody doing /kill, the timeout would still apply.
As it is now, the guy who hit the enderpearler would still get the brains if the enderpearler would die from enderpearling before the kill-hit-timeout ended.
(I really don't understand why this wouldn't work except for being fugly)
When people use an enderpearl, their intention isnt to die. It is to escape, or get around the map easier. If they miss they will die.
An enderpearl in the void wouldnt kill anybody.

755someone755

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Yeah but if you miss you'd fall into the Void anyways.

I don't get this.
Or maybe you don't;

Up here is the map with all its goodliness and holes you can fall through

and down here is the platform you fall onto and activate the automatic /kill event (which is the same as falling into the void, as both will kill you, only that the platform kills you much sooner).

Reactions: chicken23456789

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Yeah but if you miss you'd fall into the Void anyways.

I don't get this.
Or maybe you don't;

Up here is the map with all its goodliness and holes you can fall through

and down here is the platform you fall onto and activate the automatic /kill event (which is the same as falling into the void, as both will kill you, only that the platform kills you much sooner).
If a thrown enderpearl falls into the void, it doesnt teleport you. It just disappears. And enderpearl only tps you if it hits a block or entity (I think it tps you to entity)

Cstar

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
You get brains when you hit someone and they die within a set time limit. The "easiest" solution to void kills would be extending the time between when you hit someone and when they resulting in you receiving brains. Downside to this is it could break the game due to how long it takes the void to kill you.

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
I think some people are getting confused here...

While pressure plates and command blocks would work, it wouldn't be the best idea, as, like iggy said, a missed enderpearl would cause death, whereas normally the enderpearl doesnt teleport you.

In bukkit there is something called an 'event' and there are different types of event. These events trigger some code to run when they fire. E.g. PlayerDeathEvent would fire when a a player dies, and the developer would be able go get information like the player name and the cause of death.

So, in EntityDamageEvent (which fires when any entity is hurt), you could check if the entity is a player and make sure that the reason for for the damage was void and just kill the player instantly. I think this would give the player the brains, but I would have to test it to be certain.

Doing this as well as moving the void maps down to a lower y level, maybe 20 or so, would be the best plan.

Lastly HeyitsCstar, changing the timer isnt quite as straight forward as it seems, but I wish it were!

And sorry if I confused anyone, I did try to make it simple!

Reaction score
How about you just have command blocks outside the map border with /kill in them with tripwires spanning the void for any who falls down (I'm not sure if enderpearls work off tripwires).