[Suggestion] Turn Off Death Messages

Reaction score
Recently a lot of people have been complaining about death spam. This is annoying for the pvpers as they can't fight. I think a simple solution to this would be to turn off death messages so no one could complain about the death spam and the pvpers could still pvp. I can't see any other use death messages would have so it shouldn't be any harm to take them away.

• Sad
Reactions: RyanDodd

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I am a prominent figure in the "AoD is for PvP, BuildBox is for building, so rack off" crowd. I would, however, like this to be implemented, as no amount of being told makes people not use BB for PvP anyway.

brownlee123

Reaction score
I was incredibly confused as to why anyone would want this, then I saw this was under BuildBox and not Army of Darkness...

I agree (even though I don't BB too often), and I think this would be a good thing...

Reaction score
Pvp on BB is just organised, ordinary pvp. You can fight your friends, use whatever armour/weapons you want and build little arenas (or just have fights in terrain world) for the pvp. You can pvp on BB just as a stepback from Aod to have simple 1v1s or group fights.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Sure, it would be great to see death messages turned off in Buildbox, but then you'll still be able to see the players, who are pvp'ing, most likely say "Hey! You're cheating!", "Stop throwing splash potions at me!", "What are you even doing?!" etc.

And besides that, the core aspect of Buildbox is that it's a creative server, it shouldn't be used for PvP'ing UNLESS (I'm sure that this could be open for interpretation) someone is using custom weapons to test it out for their map -- which usually happens 5% of the time from what I've seen.

Then again, I can see the fun in making your own custom weapon and using it on players or animals. So overall, I think that death messages should be turned off and PvP'ers should be in RP chat when they're fighting.

As a side note, I find it concerning that a couple of Builder ranked players are PvPing in Buildbox.

Tamzies

Reaction score
Okay, I would like to start with bringing up yesterday. The whole chat was flooded with Death Messages which clutters everything while we have to check the chat if nothing happens elsewhere. Do you know how much fun it is to see 50 Death messages, it can be really annoying. Just the people screaming with: "CHEATS", ''THAT WAS MY DIAMOND SWORD.'', since last I checked it was a Creative Server just like Rawr has stated above. That Death Messages aren't allowed is a must, I can get really annoyed over the clutter of Death Messages on chat. I can see how fun it can be to kill other people with Custom Swords, but also with this beware of weird names.. I can remember a few that went over the line. In my honest opinion PVP can be removed from the server, since it doesn't contributes to anything. It can scare people away with a chat full with: Player 1 killed Player 2 with My Little Pony.

But, the other solution would be:
- Remove of Death Messages.
- Only in RP chat, so main chat doesn't have to read that Player 1 thinks that Player 2 is a cheater.

And if those rules are not going to be followed there will be consequences and maybe no PVP any more.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I find it concerning that a couple of Builder ranked players are PvPing in Buildbox.
Part of holding the rank of Builder is being mature enough to set an example on the server for people who want to be promoted. If a Builder can't do so much as that, we will reconsider their rank.

tnm

Reaction score
Right so-

I'm making an A&T map made so that player's can gear themselves up and fight each other in their own separate adventure, without everybody else on the server getting annoyed by the constant flow of death messages. People will have creative to give themselves items, and they the map will switch them back to survival so they can fight. Hopefully I should be able to add it within the next few days!
This means we can actually disable PVP on buildbox seeming as it is, well, a building server. Hopefully this will be the best plan going forward and fix all the issues people have raised!

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Honestly I'm not sure why people are so against pvpers altogether. Seeing it is a creative server we can pretty much feel certain innocent bystanders won't be killed since they will be in creative mode.

Right now it seems there are really only two legitimate issues I'm seeing with pvpers

-death spam
-discussion of said battles spamming the chat.

It seems like the pvpers have gotten on the nerves of quite a few players, however those problems are easily solved by simply disabling the death messages and having them chat in another chat such as rp.

• Winner
Reactions: Hockeyfan1852
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure why people are so against pvpers altogether. Seeing it is a creative server we can pretty much feel certain innocent bystanders won't be killed since they will be in creative mode.

Right now it seems there are really only two legitimate issues I'm seeing with pvpers

-death spam
-discussion of said battles spamming the chat.

It seems like the pvpers have gotten on the nerves of quite a few players, however those problems are easily solved by simply disabling the death messages and having them chat in another chat such as rp.
Tnmjimbob said he was making a creative pvp mode on A&T so pvpers won't have to use BB for pvp anymore.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Probably three reasons why people PvP on BB:
  • People don't want to use an arena on AoD
  • They don't want to use the kits on AoD
  • There is a lot more flexibility for the above on BB
The solutions are either Tnm's arena on A&T, or restricting PvP to either the role play channel or a new PvP channel, and death messages being toggleable, default off. Forced off would cause the PvPers to not know who's died, especially when people shout CHEAT YOU NOOB WAAAAA and I NEVER DIED HE'S A CHEATAR.

• Agree
Reactions: sessybessy

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I agree, People pvp on Buildbox all the time and it is disturbing the builders (I wont name anyone) but it happened today Urosevic2001 and I were trying to ask them to stop because we were building but they completely ignored us and continued to pvp. I respect people pvping on other servers but there is a group that do it all the time and I've seen operators ask them to stop but they still wont do it! building is kind of in the name of Buildbox so it would give a hint to maybe build. Please can you do something about it because its getting to the stage where it is frequent and annoying to others playing online. They can do it when no other players are on Buildbox.

-Jen