[Suggestion] Social Media + New Players!

Sam_Winchester

Donor
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
WE NEED THE NOOBS!

This tittle is self explanatory, you guys need to get your game on.
And by you guys, I mean EVERYONE! (specially if you have at least a small following base on youtube)

We need to bring back life to this server. I get tired of knowing everyone. I remember the days when I had to keep 4 eyes out to make sure some noob wasn't about to flood the ton interconnected houses and tunnels that there would be at any given time on every map/round.

The whole "minecraft isn't new anymore, it isn't 2009 and that's why Lava Survuval has died" excuse, is BULLSHIT, and a lazy thing to say.

I go to servers where there's 300+ players minimum at any given time. They know how to give incentives, keep people donating, but most important, keep them coming.

The main difference I've noticed, is that they handle a lot of social media. Specially Youtube. People watch videos that look fun, and decide to come. If anyone has good recording software, and a small following base, please take this into consideration. Players is what keeps this place alive. No matter how many changes staff decides to make, it's all crap in the end if no one even wants to be around anymore!

Newbies should have a starter kit, a useful, solid kit!
A GOOD KIT, could be:
  • 10 apples
  • 1 iron pick
  • 1 iron shovel
  • 1 iron axe
  • 1 iron sword
  • Full leather armor
  • 1 Stack of Cobble
  • 20 torches
This kit would be good enough a welcome for a newbie, and also not too easy that they can't learn on their own. We all know unenchanted iron breaks pretty fast, and the cobble could at least keep them from dying their first round. (hopefully they read the tutorial :p)

Rewards for being active in Social Media??? ermegherd sam, you and your frecken rewards bruh....
Should we perhaps have a monthly reward for promoting us on youtube? I think so! I'll let you guys discuss this tho. ;)

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
WE NEED THE NOOBS!

This tittle is self explanatory, you guys need to get your game on.
And by you guys, I mean EVERYONE! (specially if you have at least a small following base on youtube)

We need to bring back life to this server. I get tired of knowing everyone. I remember the days when I had to keep 4 eyes out to make sure some noob wasn't about to flood the ton interconnected houses and tunnels that there would be at any given time on every map/round.
I've been playing on RoF since close after its initial launch in 2012 and I honestly can't say this was the norm. Sure, there were times when the server was extremely popular and got a lot of new players, but it wasn't like that every day. The server is a lot alive today than it was a few months ago: I've seen multiple times in the last few weeks where 20+ players were on for a prolonged time. The server may not be as active as it was back in 2013, but it's not exactly dying either. We're still getting new players every single day (in fact, there are days when so many new players join that I get excited).
The whole "minecraft isn't new anymore, it isn't 2009 and that's why Lava Survuval has died" excuse, is BULLSHIT, and a lazy thing to say.

I go to servers where there's 300+ players minimum at any given time. They know how to give incentives, keep people donating, but most important, keep them coming.
Except it's an extremely valid argument. Minecraft isn't necessarily dying, but it has definitely seen a huge shift in the way players are spread across servers. Whereas in the past, SMP servers and small-scale servers always had players, nowadays arcade is king. Huge arcade servers like shotbownetwork, thehive, hypixel and what have you still get a ton of players because they're not like lava survival. They're more like minigames, trying to appeal to as many people as possible. They keep people "donating" by giving them priority access to servers and other donator perks-- by monetizing their game, heavily. Servers with 300+ players minimum tend to be a business; nothing like EscapeRestart. ER would lose its touch of personality, its closeness.
The main difference I've noticed, is that they handle a lot of social media. Specially Youtube. People watch videos that look fun, and decide to come. If anyone has good recording software, and a small following base, please take this into consideration. Players is what keeps this place alive. No matter how many changes staff decides to make, it's all crap in the end if no one even wants to be around anymore!
Very much agree. YouTube, Tumblr, Reddit (especially reddit), we should be trying to advertise as much as we possibly can. We're already getting a steady supply of new players each day, but more are always welcome. Advertising is key!
Newbies should have a starter kit, a useful, solid kit!
A GOOD KIT, could be:
  • 10 apples
  • 1 iron pick
  • 1 iron shovel
  • 1 iron axe
  • 1 iron sword
  • Full leather armor
  • 1 Stack of Cobble
  • 20 torches
Kits have been suggested multiple times before and the last time it seemed to be favored by staff but we decided to wait until a bit after the overhaul to see if we should implement that. I don't think we should. Players get helped by other players either way, and they already receive 25 cookies when they join the server. They don't need a kit. They often die or get confused, and players tend to help them anyway. But that's my personal opinion; maybe it's time to revisit this idea.

Rewards for being active in Social Media??? ermegherd sam, you and your frecken rewards bruh....
Should we perhaps have a monthly reward for promoting us on youtube? I think so! I'll let you guys discuss this tho. ;)
I'm not sure. I've already suggested forum rewards internally, I think we should try those first and then consider rewards for social media. I'm not sure what the response would be, however.

Last edited: