[Suggestion] Signature Weapons/Moves

Catcocomics

Reaction score
As of the last 3 weeks or earlier, it can be noted that people (including me) have started using anvils in maps to rename items/weapons for an enhanced kill (by default, this takes up 7 levels, assuming the item is only just being used on an anvil and with no other additions). However, not all maps have anvils in them, and sometimes you just don't have enough XP to rename the weapon. To fix this so that players can have custom weapon names without the necessity of an anvil, I suggest that players (even if of a certain rank) can specify to the server that, for the first item of the id specified, is to be renamed as that player's signature weapons for the round. This would be really nice because then we don't get killed for trying to look a tad extra fancy.

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
There is a thread suggesting a rank higher than The Reckoning, but we don't currently have any solid ideas about what new features that rank would include. This sounds like it could be a nice feature for that rank, or maybe for Darkness or Reckoning, if it were to be included at all. As I said about having custom titles or login messages in the rank suggestion thread, I'd be worried that players would name their weapons inappropriate things. This is why it should be a feature for the top ranks, which are primarily occupied by experienced players who can be trusted to know the rules.

G

Guest35486

This can also be in a future store update. Each round, you can name your weapon something for a certain amount of Brains (Or kills). Like Ryan mentioned, the names may be inappropriate or against the rules, this can be implemented by only letting more experienced players (Rank or playtime) name/buy the weapons. This can be a perk that allows veteran players to use their Brains and have fun at the same time.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Figured it would be better to have custom names given specifically to higher ranks. At the proposal to maybe adding this to a store feature, I was struck with the idea to have the allowance of lower ranked players being able to chose from a selection of pre-determined weapon names, so as to still have more fun (and possibly make AoD generally more comical), but still restraining any inappropriately named weapons from being made as a signature weapon. I also originally thought the idea of signature weapons to be fun just to act as some sort of "[playername] strikes again" sort of deal that could involve in-game reputations and help mark/recognize each other's ingame skill, style, and overall PvP patterns. Best part is that if people don't want to be recognized for each and every kill they make causing this: (hypothetical example) Bulbasaur was slain by Pikachu using [Iron Tail], then they can ignore the feature or, if they all ready selected to use a named weapon, deselect any named or signature weaponry.
In essence, this will be a great tool to help get a minor dosage of server-wide fame and not affect those who wish not to be affected by it.

• Winner
Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Terre936

Reaction score
I like the idea of choosing from pre-named items as you mentioned above. It can be a good edition to any future store as well. And yes, the players who have higher ranks should be able to name their swords freely as they are likely to not name their weapons any inappropriate things because, you know, they've been here a while. It's not something we /really/ need in my opinion, but it's a really cool idea.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
There is a thread suggesting a rank higher than The Reckoning, but we don't currently have any solid ideas about what new features that rank would include. This sounds like it could be a nice feature for that rank, or maybe for Darkness or Reckoning, if it were to be included at all. As I said about having custom titles or login messages in the rank suggestion thread, I'd be worried that players would name their weapons inappropriate things. This is why it should be a feature for the top ranks, which are primarily occupied by experienced players who can be trusted to know the rules.
People naming them inappropiate things shouldnt be a bigger problem than people saying inappropiate things, so not really that big of a problem. Seeing the weapons you get form kits having name could be rather cool though, like a preset name for swords, bow, axes etc that you could set.

RyanDodd

Reaction score
You're right, it's not a larger issue than people saying inappropriate things. However, that doesn't mean it's not an issue at all. We can prevent it for the most part by giving it to higher ranked players, which also doubles as an incentive to get to a higher rank. As it is now, the only 'bonus' of getting The Reckoning is the login message. Adding more features such as this one to the higher ranks will entice people to play more so they can get that rank and it's features.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
You're right, it's not a larger issue than people saying inappropriate things. However, that doesn't mean it's not an issue at all. We can prevent it for the most part by giving it to higher ranked players, which also doubles as an incentive to get to a higher rank. As it is now, the only 'bonus' of getting The Reckoning is the login message. Adding more features such as this one to the higher ranks will entice people to play more so they can get that rank and its features.
What about, as Darkness you can name your sword, as Reckoning your bow, and as next rank everything, including armor?

Catcocomics

Reaction score
To be actually honest, I think this should be something more to be earned just by having a higher ontime rather than getting a lot of kills, because spending more time on the actual server and playing is a much better way of gauging someone's character than how many kill or brains they have. If we were to simply give this feature to the upper ranks, the time it would take people to get to this would depend only on how much time of their day they spend playing, how skilled they are at playing, and their luck at racking up as many brains as possible. In other words, I don't want it to be that some random person gets on one day, plays non-stop for about a month, and suddenly has all rename features and watches as other people struggle their way up to even getting to name their swords. It would make more sense to have it based on time spent playing so that, even if you missed that jump by "1 pixel", and fell into the pool of lava, you don't get set back from acquiring the renaming feature a little more just because you missed a jump. And who knows, someone might be good at using AoE attacks to gain mass-kills really fast to really get a lot of brains. 100k brains may seem a whole lot, but it only took me about 2 months of "light playing" to get from veteran to Hero.

• Disagree
Reactions: Danni122112

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Let's start.
This should be no problem at all. Persons with Reckoning are of high enough authority and mature enough to know what to name their weapons. As Danni said Naming swords and Saying innapropriate things directly are the same offense.

Now we can however take a pre-set list of swear/innapropriate words that AoD automatically blocks out. I've done this before on another server where we had a system where the staff got notified when certain words were said. And i got quite a lot of swear words, homophobic slurs, and insults (Both mine and from others) i am happy to share with the AoD Devs to block out. (Not gonna say them here. That'd just offend everyone). That already blocks out 50% of the words. And the more... "Creative" people don't always get Reckoning. So that already gets us much further.

Now we can have the shop rename weapons and armor, but we can also do this differently

The /itna command (ITemNAme)
This can be done
/itna id <Item ID> <Name>
That will rename all items with that ID in your inventory to that name for this round (Around 2,5K brains?)
We can have this for one round. Or have a command to have this permanent.
/itna id per <ItemID> <Name>
And that will rename those items with that ID you ever get your hands on ever. (Around maybe 5K brains?)
/itna slot <HotbarNumber> <Name>
And this will rename the item in the selected slot to that name (Around maybe 1K Brains?)

But that's just an idea.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cstar

Cstar

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
@Fiestaguy Well okay to be honest I don't see a point to having "signature moves" at all. There are anvils on maps where you can rename your sword if you want. I may be wrong but in my honest opinion coding something like this is just a waste of time.

Reactions: RyanDodd

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
@Fiestaguy Well okay to be honest I don't see a point to having "signature moves" at all. There are anvils on maps where you can rename your sword if you want. I may be wrong but in my honest opinion coding something like this is just a waste of time.
This is true but the Signature weapons are to have it stand out. Furthermore. Naming with anvils costs XP and there would have to be an anvil in the first place. The XP could be used for enchanting and applying books, If the community votes for this feature. Then it isn't a waste of time.

Cstar

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
*Sigh* okay okay you win...but from what I have heard from some of the AoD staff is that they aren't really up for the idea.

RyanDodd

Reaction score
This is true but the Signature weapons are to have it stand out. Furthermore. Naming with anvils costs XP and there would have to be an anvil in the first place. The XP could be used for enchanting and applying books, If the community votes for this feature. Then it isn't a waste of time.
The issue would be that we don't currently have a shop set up, so how are we going to offer this to people without having to code in something huge, such as a shop, and how would you pay for this? And yes, anvils do cost XP. Yes, there has to be an anvil in the first place. Thing is though, you have to make the decision on what is really necessary - a sword name or an enchantment. If you value a sword name over enchanting, go for it.

Now we can however take a pre-set list of swear/innapropriate words that AoD automatically blocks out. I've done this before on another server where we had a system where the staff got notified when certain words were said. And i got quite a lot of swear words, homophobic slurs, and insults (Both mine and from others) i am happy to share with the AoD Devs to block out. (Not gonna say them here. That'd just offend everyone). That already blocks out 50% of the words. And the more... "Creative" people don't always get Reckoning. So that already gets us much further.
I don't like this idea. Blocking out swearing is not necessary because it is still allowed as long as it isn't used excessively. Plus, if you make this feature available to only the higher ranks who know the rules, there is a drastically reduced risk of having a sword named something inappropriate.

I am going to stick with the opinion I originally posted: If this is put into the server, I will be fine with it being for Darkness and above.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I think, instead of a shop (for now), preselected names can be put into a list, so if someone wants to name their item as something (let's say for example, 'Rock'), then they can choose 'Rock' from a list of various other names like 'Paper' and 'Scissors' with some sort of renaming command. Doesn't require fancy coding to try and circumvent balancing issues and can simply be accessed like any other command, at whatever fee you good ol' staff people seems reasonable. Of course, the issue this part would bring up would simply be that we'd need a list of items names that are generally cool to have in a weapon while still appropriate by our standards.

• Disagree

RyanDodd

Reaction score
Choosing from a list is a decent idea, but what is the point of having a command to name your sword from a list of preselected names when you can just use an anvil on a map to name it whatever you want?

• Thank You

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Because naming from an anvil requires both an anvil, and 7 or more levels of XP for each and every item you want to rename. Not every map has an anvil obviously located somewhere in it and then, some people might not be fortunate enough to simply have 7+ levels on them when they do find an anvil, or they lose their items and no one is willing to give it back to them just because they named it on an anvil.

Also, anyone who disagrees with the entire concept of renaming items without need of anvil or 7+ levels of XP, please state why this is a very bad idea.

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
It's so easy to get XP in my opinion, not going to lie. If you're moderately good at AoD you can easily get about 10 levels a round, if you go out and PvP. While the issue may be the map doesn't have an anvil, you also don't need to have a named weapon every round. I think it's just fine the way it is, with using resources that are located around you to name a weapon. Also, another concern I have is that if we do impliment this and if you do get to the point where you could name a weapon, the chat will just be cluttered with some random nonsense.

"x-x-x-x-x was killed by x-x-x-x-x using [This sword sucks]" ad infinitum.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I'd like a vote:

Agree to this message if you think this would be a great thing to have on AoD.

Disagree to this message if you think this is something that challenges Sonic 06 for the title of "Worst Idea since WW2"

I want everyone to vote, so don't simply close this post simply because you say nay, and then, don't automatically accept the idea and implement it if you say other wise.

I want to know if the majority of you do or don't approve (and I wish to count ONLY people who regularly play AoD, regardless of rank).

If you have anything else to say, go ahead and say as soon as possible, because I'm starting to get tired of waiting for AoD (as a whole) to make up it's mind

And again, votes are to only be counted as agree or disagree. Fire away!

RyanDodd

Reaction score
It is unrealistic to expect a straight yes or no answer on a suggestion like this. We've been giving you quite a bit of feedback on how it could be implemented, which believe it or not, is better than a yes or no answer. No means that there's simply no chance for it, and yes means that it is perfect. This suggestion is neither doomed nor is it perfect. I've stated numerous times that I don't think this is a bad idea, but that there are some things we need to consider before (if) it is implemented into Army of Darkness, which we have been talking about.

If you have anything else to say, go ahead and say as soon as possible, because I'm starting to get tired of waiting for AoD (as a whole) to make up it's mind
This is another statement that sort of draws my attention. We are not waiting to make up our mind at all, rather we are waiting to see if we can find a way to implement it without causing issues, or if we need to implement it at all. Checking for possible solutions always comes before making up ones mind in a process; making up our minds comes later. I ask that you wait patiently rather than get frustrated - we have some other things to concentrate on currently, though we do appreciate every suggestion we see.

So please remember that your suggestion is being considered and until then, please do not overlook the things people are saying that could make it work better. No suggestion is totally perfect, so keep that in mind!

• Thank You
Reactions: Catcocomics